Small vs Large 21

As I am saving and deciding what Sebenza I want, I am considering a small. Which one is your favorite? I have heard most people's favorite is the Large and sorry to keep making these threads. Pictures Please if possible, I would love to see some.

I remember a very wise member of this forum once stated, "The Small Sebenza is the only knife you will ever need. The Large Sebenza is the biggest knife you will ever want."
Eleven Sebenzas later, both Large and Small, I still can't decide on a favorite. So I carry one of each. Everyday. :thumbup:

I find the small to be too small for my hands. The large 21 is my favorite knife. It's just perfect. I keep my smalls around for when I need a more gentlemanly knife.

this might help:

small and large 21 sebenza micarta
CRKSMIMG_1264.jpg

CRKSMIMG_1267.jpg

small
CRKSSMIMG_1263.jpg

large
CRKLSMIMG_1251.jpg

other CRK's for size reference
CRKIMG_1549.jpg

btw, i'm 5'6" with medium sized hands.

small would be the perfect size for edc. however, as these fine knives aren't exactly cheap, i recommend getting the large first. more knife for a little bit more. hope to help!

Before it's over with you will likely try both. With CR you will ALWAYS be wondering what you missed.

I find the small to be too small for my hands. The large 21 is my favorite knife. It's just perfect. I keep my smalls around for when I need a more gentlemanly knife.

Same, I just don't feel comfortable with a small. A large is perfect, and it's not to big to scare people are take up to much room in your pocket. Great size in my opinion.

I love the Larges. Have not ever had the small. Always figured if I were to get a small CRK it'd probably be the Mnandi (picked up one in Lignum Vitae about an hour ago).

You just get so much more knife for a small upcharge in price, so I've just cornered myself to large Sebenzas.

It's a taste thing and I've made my mind up without ever handling a small Sebenza so what do I know :D

Jason78ang, hell of a first post man:thumbup:

I agree with this, unless you are a smaller than average person or have legal issues with carrying a larger knife then the large is the knife to go for. I carry a Mnandi over the small Sebenza I have and only keep the small because it's a Regular, it hasn't been out its box in a long time.

The small Seb can scare people because of it's wicked looking blade. The Large can REALLY scare people with it's Large wicked looking blade. What are you going to use it for? For all purpose EDC I suggest the small. For a hard working knife for daily cutting for work get the large.

The small is sufficient, but aren't we all here for a little bit more?
As stated above, it depends.
While in the city the small is fine, when in the countryside, everyting get's bigger.
I carry both and find I use the small more.
red mag

I find the Small slightly more difficult to open and close with my size large hands. I like it because it's more comfortable to carry than the Large, with enough blade for most purposes. Even though it's very compact it has nearly as much usable edge as some larger knives, like the Spyderco Para Military 2 for example. That said, if I was going to limit myself to one CRK it would be the the Large--it's really the prefect all around size, though it's big and heavy enough that I feel it in my pocket. These days I go pretty much 50/50, Small/Large. My advice: Get both, of course!

I would say go with the Large. For whatever reason the Small I had didn't quite fit my hands. It was a great knife just a bit off for me.

I like the small. At just under 3" it's legal just about everywhere I go. Since it's decorated, it's people friendly.

For my big blade, I've got a 4" Terzuola ACTF, not friendly, but just at the legal limit in length where I live.

The large sebenza just doesn't float my boat.

thanks guys! i'm a long time lurker here and just posted recently bec i could finally add value to this post a.k.a. "this thread needs more pics!". i had them, so why not share? part of why i got both small and large is to check for myself which size i like better.

for good measure, here are some other shots with other crk's

mnandi bocote
CRKMIMG_1240.jpg

umnumzaan tanto
CRKUTIMG_1518.jpg

nyala 2010 (no idaho made stamp)
CRKNIMG_1214.jpg

pacific
CRKPIMG_1205.jpg

When I set out to buy a sebenza I agonized over the same question. I thought about it for a while until I realized that I rarely need a blade longer than three inches; so the small is the perfect size for my edc needs. I wear large sized gloves and find the small fits my hand just fine. It is very similar in size to a mini griptilion, which I also love, if that helps.

If you are comfortable with a mini griptilian in the hand i think you will be comfortable with a small sebenza.

Back