Smaller companion to Gerber Covert?

I have a Gerber Covert and like it a lot. Mostly it is just of the right size, but sometimes I would like to have something even more compact (blade around 3 inches) but with the same "feel" as in Covert. I also like the Applegate-based looks. Please suggest a smaller folder that can be carried when something smaller is required, but with quite similar ergonomics as in Covert. Also, I do not want to pay more on a smaller knife than I did for Covert. Ossi

The BM 350 has vey similar lines to the Covert, and is in the size range you desire. But it is by no means a solid, reliable piece. The lock engagement is weak and unsure, there is a "double click" on engagement, one when the liner hits the edge of the blade and another when it actually locks. The first click is very decieving.

I would not recomend them for any use harder than letter opener/paperweight. My $.02
smile.gif

------------------
James

stjames: isn't the double click the case with all liner locks? A click when the liner slips off the ball detent onto the blade and another when it slips off the blade and into place behind the tang.

Joel, This is a very pronounced first click, where the liner partially engages the blade, but does not lock. The second click is the liner fully engaging. As I said, it is very decieving. Not something you can trust in a hurry.

My BM AFCK, for example, engages fully, single click. A much better lockup, as trustworthy as a liner lock gets.

Again, my $.02
smile.gif

------------------
James

James, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing or not. My Covert has the same sort of double click that my Stryker, my Genesis and my wife's mini AFCK has (these are all the liner-locks I have access to), so at least in my case, the Covert doesn't seem to be different than other liner-locking knives.

It might be more pronounced on my Covert, but that is because it has a stronger detent than the other knives, but anyway for my knife, the first time the liner engages the back of the blade (as opposed to the side) it engages it fully in a nice, solid lock.

Joel, I am describing the action on a Benchmade 350, I do not own a Covet to compare it to. On the 350, the action is as described.

I have not noticed this on the Benchmade AFCKs or CQC7 that I have owned in the past, and I have a Boker with a stainless steel liner lock in the same size range that has no hesitation in locking up solid each and every time. A co-worker also has a BM350, and it has the exact same action as mine.

Maybe I am just being unfair because I have been carrying a small Sebenza lately. But the first time I opened the BM350, I frowned at the lock. And this was months before I recieved my Sebenza.

------------------
James

James, I have a feeling that we're talking about two different things here. Too bad we can't post mpegs so we can see what each other is talking about!

Joel, I have a feeling you are right. I am glad you like ypur Covert, though. I will have to check one out ASAP to see its action.

------------------
James

Back