Smooth Folder

I’m currently looking for a sub $150 fall shut folder with a wharncliffle blade and some type of spydie hole variation. Those are pretty much my only requirements. Thanks for the help!

The 2 I've had are. Very similar to a PM2/Manix2/Griptillian that swings free when the lock is disengaged.
Ahhh so like an axis lock. Can’t remember the spyderco name for it lol. I also like a sheepsfoot or a modified one. Sort of reverse tanto style. But I think I’d like a frame lock or liner lock because my last purchase was an axis lock.

The 2 I've had are. Very similar to a PM2/Manix2/Griptillian that swings free when the lock is disengaged.
Ahhh so like an axis lock. Can’t remember the spyderco name for it lol. I also like a sheepsfoot or a modified one. Sort of reverse tanto style. But I think I’d like a frame lock or liner lock because my last purchase was an axis lock.

Compression lock.

Two votes for the Yojimbo. Is it real smooth?

Due to the compression lock it uses you can hold the lockbar off the side of the tang which allows for a very free action. With a normal liner or framelock as you close the knife the lockbar is pushing the detent ball into the side of the tang.

What jobs do you plan on using the knife for. The only thing I will add is that the Yojimbo 2 has a very thin and somewhat fragile edge. Also a very thin tip like most wharncliffes. If you are planning on doing some heavy duty cutting then the Yojimbo might not be the best choice afterall.

The compression lock is somewhat akin to an upside down liner lock you unlock from the spine side of the handle. Unlike the linerlock though the compression lock pinches betweeb the blade and the stop pin making the lock very strong.

Here is a compression framelock you can see how it is activated.
Spyderco-C07TIP-ATR-Titanium-Plain-Edge__31889.1500577878.jpg

To unlock you push this over.
spyderco_amsterdammeet2016_productionprototype_atr_lock.jpg

If you like modified sheepsfoots check out the Spyderco ATR2. It will be much more suited to harder utility tasks than the Yojimbo, which is a self defense knife first and foremost. It also features the ultra smooth compression lock.
SP-C70GP2.jpg

Last edited:

Due to the compression lock it uses you can hold the lockbar off the side of the tang which allows for a very free action. With a normal liner or framelock as you close the knife the lockbar is pushing the detent ball into the side of the tang.

What jobs do you plan on using the knife for. The only thing I will add is that the Yojimbo 2 has a very thin and somewhat fragile edge. Also a very thin tip like most wharncliffes. If you are planning on doing some heavy duty cutting then the Yojimbo might not be the best choice afterall.

The compression lock is somewhat akin to an upside down liner lock you unlock from the spine side of the handle. Unlike the linerlock though the compression lock pinches betweeb the blade and the stop pin making the lock very strong.

Here is a compression framelock you can see how it is activated.
Spyderco-C07TIP-ATR-Titanium-Plain-Edge__31889.1500577878.jpg

To unlock you push this over.
spyderco_amsterdammeet2016_productionprototype_atr_lock.jpg

If you like modified sheepsfoots check out the Spyderco ATR2. It will be much more suited to harder utility tasks than the Yojimbo, which is a self defense knife first and foremost. It also features the ultra smooth compression lock.
SP-C70GP2.jpg
I believe what I’m looking for is a smooth framelock like the Norseman but I’d like it to be a user not a safe queen. Might be difficult to find something like that in the $150 price range though.

Last edited:
I believe what I’m looking for is a smooth framelock like the Norseman but I’d like it to be a user not a safe queen. Might be difficult to find something like that in the $150 price range though.

You should check out the lineups of Kizer and WE knives. They have many framelocks in that price range with great actions.

Check out the WE ignition. Mine came with an excellent action.
https://www.bladehq.com/cat--WE-Knife-Co-715-Series-Ignition--2958

Otherwise you might be able to find some used ZTs on the used section of the forum here.

You should check out the lineups of Kizer and WE knives. They have many framelocks in that price range with great actions.

Check out the WE ignition. Mine came with an excellent action.
https://www.bladehq.com/cat--WE-Knife-Co-715-Series-Ignition--2958

Otherwise you might be able to find some used ZTs on the used section of the forum here.
I’ve been meaning to check out a We knife for a while now. I might have to get the Pleroma when it comes out.

950b73cb9b8cf2f73819b6be224b09b8.jpg

Benchmade 555HG Min Grip. Axis lock, smooth as silk. You can get the black blade version too if you want.

You seem like the right person to ask this question. So you know how a framelock can still be crazy smooth even after you release the lock and the blades the only thing holding it to the side? Can an axis, compression, liner lock be like that as well?

You seem like the right person to ask this question. So you know how a framelock can still be crazy smooth even after you release the lock and the blades the only thing holding it to the side? Can an axis, compression, liner lock be like that as well?

I get what you're talking about there. I have some liner and frame locks that are smoother than others and I suspect it is the composition of the frame and blade that are making contact that determine how smooth they act with each other while rubbing together. I have found that titanium framelocks have given me the smoothest action. The Southern Grind Spider Monkey was one.

The Axis lock, on the other hand, is smooth just because of how the mechanism gets out of the way and lets the blade move free on the pivot. It's by far my favorite locking mechanism nowadays.

I get what you're talking about there. I have some liner and frame locks that are smoother than others and I suspect it is the composition of the frame and blade that are making contact that determine how smooth they act with each other while rubbing together. I have found that titanium framelocks have given me the smoothest action. The Southern Grind Spider Monkey was one.

The Axis lock, on the other hand, is smooth just because of how the mechanism gets out of the way and lets the blade move free on the pivot. It's by far my favorite locking mechanism nowadays.

I guess I like being able to hold the frame lock however I want and it still be smooth after I get the blade past the detent as opposed to having to hold the axis lock button. That being said, I’ll always have an axis lock as well. I like the different fidget factors of both.

I just saw the Spider Monkey recently. Might have to look into it a little more.

Back