1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

So, I've made a Throwing Knife that flies straight like in an anime... Now, what to do with it?

Discussion in 'Throwing Knives & Knife Throwing' started by andres3740, Aug 19, 2019.

1. andres3740

andres3740

Aug 19, 2019
    Hello Everyone,

I suppose that an explanation is in order. Well, after watching a few anime episodes, specifically Naruto, I grew enamored by the concept of a knife blade that merely flew straight at its target. One that didn't tumble through the air. It was something that I wanted, yet it seemed that no knife supplier had anything capable of such a thing.

So, instead of giving up on the idea, I decided to see if I could design one. After a few attempts and prototypes, I finally had a design that works. This blade does not tumble through the air, nor does it follow the "No Spin" method demonstrated by Adam Celadin. The blade flies horizontally, and the tip doesn't stray from the target. As of this moment, I have a fully functional and tested prototype.

Now... I have no idea as to what to do with the new type of Kunai. Personally, I would love for everyone to have the opportunity to own one. So, I was considering a few things I could do to fulfill this ideal. Which do you guys think I should do?
    1. Sell the Knife design to a throwing knife manufacturer.
    2. Start a crowdfunding campaign to manufacture the blades myself?
    3. Other - Post your Idea.

P.S. If you know of a manufacturer that I should partner with, please let me know in the comments below.

2. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    :rolleyes:

3. elasmonut

elasmonut

Feb 15, 2006
    Demonstrate its use and you will have people lining up to buy it.

DocJD likes this.
  4. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    So you've invented the throwing dart?:confused:

5. andres3740

andres3740

Aug 19, 2019
    I can do that. I just don't know the best way to go about doing the manufacturing of the throwing knives.

6. andres3740

andres3740

Aug 19, 2019
  7. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
  8. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    You should start by posting pictures of your design and demonstrating in videos that it works as intended. Honestly as another poster mentioned, I don't see what this does that an already-existing throwing dart does not. Unless there's some big design differentiation that makes your knife better than the existing throwing darts.

Knife manufacturers are not exactly lining up to take submissions from random people who are not experienced knife makers, and even there, most experienced knife makers don't have manufacturers pick up their designs, and of those who do, many of them don't sell particularly well.

You might see if Bobby Branton would take a look at your design. If he was interested, he could point you in the right direction.

GotSteel likes this.
  9. GotSteel

GotSteel Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Sounds cool but difficult/expensive to protect the design, if you're planning to build a brand maybe save it for down the line.

10. idaho

idaho

May 5, 2005
    First of all - I don't belive such design will work. :D
    It is not possible according to laws of physics - you would need huge air drag in the handle to keep knife straight.

But to the merit.
    Your plan is difficult to succeed.

1. Selling to bigger company. Most companies have enough designs - their problem and costs is marketing and selling them. Even if you would like to give it for free, without a "name behind the design" nobaty probably wouldn't be interested.
    2. Crowdfunding - yes. If you know how you crowdfund stuff.

You must remember that most anime (or wider - popculture) fans are interested in franchise market items, not items that look similar. It means that a shitty china throwing knife with licenced naturo name on it will sell 10000 times better than good, but no-name Kunai.

3. Have somebody do it for you.

Throwing knives are not hard to do. If your design is not too complicated, you can order a batch of 100 or even 1000 from a knifemaker or CNC-knife manufacturing company. There are plenty.
    And then you take your knives and sell them directly over the net. If you make them in the thousands - amazon can process packaging and shipment for you.
    You shouldn't think about putting them to stores. Stores take about 50% of the total price, which requires you to plan manufacturing, pricing and marketing according.

hugofeynman likes this.
  11. CarpentryHero

CarpentryHero

Aug 12, 2019
    Well there is that gyro knife and gyro dart that causes its own drag and stays true but it’s not kunai shaped, I totally agree with your points 2 and 3

12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :eek: I'm still awaiting the video demo . Seeing is the beginning of believing . :confused:

Bigfattyt likes this.
  13. James Usher

James Usher

May 3, 2019
    I would recommend you to go for 2nd option (Start a crowdfunding campaign to manufacture the blades myself?)