Photos Some hunting...

Andy the Aussie

Platinum Member
Gold Member
....but mostly relaxing.... :)

Just home from a week back up in the bush, probably my last trip away now for some months. Nominally I was hunting some deer (still need to cull) and of course hogs.

To be 100% honest I was pretty lazy on this trip and spent as much time in front of the fire with a book as I did hunting (I was also alone for the week which also suits me fine). I did manage to slot one tidy little boar …

And elof_alv wanted some sow hide for an inlay (the boar hide is thicker and much harder to work he tells me)...soooooo…..

….those two hogs are two days but only about 50yds apart.

I also took a couple of does early in the week and like a dick though I would skin one later on for a “me appropriate” sheath inlay but of course as the week progressed I didn’t get a clean shot at a doe in a spot where I could work so that project is shelved till later in the year.

I was joined at the old hut but a small litter of rabbit kittens who were very wary of me early on but by day five were pretty ambivalent to my presence….

…there was a nasty old feral cat hanging around hunting them but it was unsuccessful as best I could tell. I heard plenty of instances of it bolting around the verandah and such at night but no change in the number of kitten by morning. Yes, I should have killed the cat and rabbits but comes a point where you sometimes just need to watch the world pass as well.

Oh…and they mustered while I was up there, I was taking in the sun when they pushed a mob of about 200 head past me….

And that was that, I can’t say I didn’t find the inactivity this time around very relaxing and not at all boring, in reality I need to do it much more often.

It all looks and sounds good to me! Great pics, as always... thanks for that. So, what were you reading?

I was raised by a Rancher and he would have said "Cull one them steers we'll make some sandwiches"!! My dad kept all the Tenderloins but hooked us up with Rib Roasts I ain't complaining...:D

Shame you didn't get a look at (or a shot at) that feral cat. Those things can get huge.

Saw it once scared the bejesus out of it as I came out the door as it was tearing across the verandah after a bunny, heard it most nights. I too have seen some big bastages out west, up in this country I think the foxes keep them under control !!!

....Robert Ludlum "The Icarus Agenda".

Cool--As a professor, I'm always interested in what's being read. I'm in the middle of a book titled Blood and Thunder; it's about Kit Carson and the American West circa 1840's... lots of hunting, fighting, and general rough living in rough country. Carson was many things including a true mountain man--expert hunter, trapper, explorer, and outdoorsman before it was hobby.

Always looking forward to more of your pics and stories--thanks again Andy.

--Anthony

Last edited:
As usual with your posts, I am sitting here wishing I was there. Thanks for sharing.

Garth

Yeah, the older I get the more I do so. Though there comes a time to start shooting ;)

I was thinking the same about all those steaks that walked past the hut !!!!! ;)

Back