Spacer option?

I'm looking to get a Christmas/birthday knife and a small Sebenza or Umfaan would suit my wishlist.

What's prevented me thus far about buying into CRK (aside from the cost) is the apparent lack of spacers on the models I've seen at the stores. Are spacers an option I can order from CRK?

I know their spacerless design lightens the knife, but I prefer to just drop my knife in my pocket, and have removed the clips on most of my other knives (just a personal preference, and not a subject for debate, please. For the same reason, sheaths are out).

The problem with the CRK design in this regard is the tendency for pocket change to jam into the blade area.

Now I know some of you are shaking your head about the thought of a beautiful knife sharing space with lint and dirty coins ... but all my tools are working tools and I don't baby them, and so don't care about the nicks, scratches or resale potential.

My current carry is a Buck 501 Master Series Squire ... a great little knife with the most aggressive edge I've ever seen on a 2-3/4" BG-42 blade. I'd like to see if a small Sebenza or Umfaan can do better. Thanks.

------------------
Longden Loo - Ventura, CA
Technology's the answer, what's the question?

I guess the same hold true for most liner locks as well. When I carry a Sebenza or Umfaan in my pocket I usually put it in the slipsheath CRK sends out with the decorated models. Not fast on the draw, but nice.

You might consider adding an inside cloth pocket to your current clothing. I have some trousers with this already, very convenient and it should work for you.

Good luck.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

James, actually the draw isn't one of my concerns. I'm just habituated to dropping stuff in my pocket and reaching in there for them.

And most of my other knives don't have this problem (stuff jamming in between the scales/liners). For most knives (with spacers), the spine of the blade is sufficiently wide to prevent most objects from intruding into the front slot. The problem with spacerless knives (such as CRK) is the oppposite slot where the absence of a spacer leaves a wide gap where coins can jam the blade or dent the edge.

I've already mentioned that sheaths are out for me (preference thing ... I also don't carry my nice cameras in a camera case except for long-term storage) ... and I don't think I'm sold on CRKs (yet) enough to modify my wardrobe to accomodate them.

Guess I'll stick with my Buck 501MS, Spyderco Wegner Jr and my Benchmade 330 for now, but thanks.

Back