Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

called "marteau rivoir"
and good luck to translate that!

Could "rivoir" have relation to riveting?:)
(a guess of an ignorant person exposed to any latin-based languages very late in life...)

IF so,then the reason for it is tough for me to figure out.In US and other English speaking places one often hears "riveting" applied to a smaller hammer with a long narrow (cross-)pein...
I've done my share of riveting,it's an Upsetting process in essence,as in the idea is to heap up as much material for the head as you can...(Technically it should be done using a heading tool that does that for you,and in critical applications that's how it's done).Plus,it helps to not dig up the surrounding area...
Seems counter-intuitive to molest the rivet with a narrow pein...And one's just Bound to miss,and leave dings all over the place...
A smaller,radiused face is what works best;at times a ball-pein(when rivet is shorted and must be smeared about vs correct closing...).

But all that is just me,and i'm largely self-taught...

:)
I cheated-i was tipped off!:)
also have seen this style referred to as German, Farrier's, Riviter's, Tinsmith's..........

But,again,it makes Very little sense-why beat up a rivet with a pein?!...It's exactly the opposite of what is needed,the material of the future head needs to be kept together,not spread about...

But here we have it...As the usage of tooling fades,so does the nomenclature become obscure...

Since I'm fond of hand crank grinders I found another that needs a little TLC, 6" stone with the tool rest missing. Good condition apart from needing some attention, nice oilers too.

J2ulxlf.jpg

Can't see a make.... as yet.....

75jvqFK.jpg

Also I've started making a straight draw knife from one of the HSS planer blades from post #133.

34ZgCXw.jpg

Cut to shape with an angle grinder & starting to grind the bevel. Cork oak log to cut the handles from.

x7qAJ1V.jpg

Handles cut & roughly shaped on the lathe. Brass engine core/freeze plugs to make bolsters from.
Wish me luck & watch this space.....
;)

I like those old hand crank grinders. Sort of a steam punk feel to them. I've got a couple.

Yes, they have a nice "old world" feel to them, they are pretty useful to have sat on the end of a table when just a tiny bit of grinding is needed instead of starting up something electrical.
This one was missing it's rest & dust/grease shield, nothing the bottom of a large tuna can couldn't sort. :)

nf1draX.jpg

The only marking I can find, I think its missing a sticker on it's top.
GDcoEcU.jpg

But a good clue as to where it originated.
5wBFKgl.jpg

A load of things picked up today.
6Bwruup.jpg

Three modern Spear & Jackson saws that look worse in the image than they are, the smallest seems unused. Two hatchets, the tiny one is a forged wrap. A couple of lovely wooden planes, a couple of small chisels & a small boxwood mallet.

mxuY7cQ.jpg

I can't see any markings on the hatchet, maybe when I clean I will but this is on the handle, anyone recognise it?

I'm also using a bench mounted hand crank grinder, only I forego the attached guide, (even if it is there), which gives insufficient support anyway and have made one of solid blocs which is clamped in position and the angle of the tool rest adjusted with wedges. In fact, not having a motor driven this is how I grind everything.

I'm also using a bench mounted hand crank grinder, only I forego the attached guide, (even if it is there), which gives insufficient support anyway and have made one of solid blocs which is clamped in position and the angle of the tool rest adjusted with wedges. In fact, not having a motor driven this is how I grind everything.

I can understand a bench mounted block being superior to the tiny flimsy supports on the machines, good idea.
Electric grinders are too aggressive for anything but reshaping in my opinion, & I agree sharpening is more controlled & much kinder by hand on a stone or by the slow motion of these hand cranked stones, how many tools & knives are ruined way too early by aggressive sharpening?
This is what my outside coffee table looks like with the new addition (& the pile of rubbish that was on it removed!). Moved around as needed for tasks.

MT7BYae.jpg

LAzFYDQ.jpg

Small hatchet or large chisel?

rgdt1E8.jpg

Both.... the rough no-name hatchet from post #289 after a sanding & re-hanging measures just 12", the chisel is 15" ,1-1/2" tip.

The chisel from post #257 that woodworm had taken a liking to.

deR3mkW.jpg

Handle turned & carved from Holly, a log I picked up & split a few years ago.

4eUg9JB.jpg

2kuHW42.jpg

I didn't over clean the chisel else it'd loose some of it's history, just enough to be able to sharpen it properly.

There is a lot of interest that comes to light there. I nearly always find the French have a particular way of formulation. An example is the time I was looking into the peculiar French axe known as Coutre and trying to figure them out a bit. One old manual described the action involved in their use as, "throwing" the blade into the work, if you think about it a completely different way of thinking of or conceiving the work than to say, "swinging" for example. Sure enough, it worked.

Anyway, not to go on and on and on but there is a thing or two's got me thinking, for example why "trempré" and demi-trempré" and what's the difference 'twixt " tout acier fondu and tout acier fin fondu" I guess something like when a piece has "Cast Steel", in English, but then with the additional distinction, and that sort of thing... Well anyway you can be glad, at least no L' Ètoile shows up on your blades.

All the best with your restoring work. It's a curious thing, a plane made of Lignum vitae.

Very cool stuff,I'mSoSharp...Lignum vitae seems like a very special,magical material...
Thanks for posting these.
French have The coolest touch-marks,i'm totally envious...:)...Those croissants are great!:)
(my very favorite is the two upraised fingers,benedictorial-like,Opinel mark unto today...).
Thanks Ernest for that info on those.
(since i know you despise "likes":) i try thanking you the old-fashoned way:)

(since i know you despise "likes":) i try thanking you the old-fashoned way:)
Despise? Maybe, though reading your words like that, it comes over as overly harsh. It certainly is the case that I don't understand that language, very confusing, plus its origin makes me want to avoid any kind of implicit endorsement. Still, I do pay attention, (getting that ol' dopamine hit like everyone else every time), so thnks for laying it out like that Jake.

Last edited:
It's a curious thing, a plane made of Lignum vitae.

And of course you are correct, it would be a curious thing & I haven't got one...........

AA286P0.jpg

The smaller one is Oak I think with a different sole, the larger one I don't know........

l5QOdym.jpg

3Nbk9Et.jpg

The above is what fooled me into thinking the smaller one was Lignum, when I picked them up they were very dirty, looking at the sole I thought Lignum Vitae...... After cleaning & inspecting it looks as though they have both had some kind of thin plastic or micarta bonded on the soles by a previous owner, the smaller one already has a different wood for the sole before this was added! Oh well, never mind they are still nice planes............

French have The coolest touch-marks,i'm totally envious...:)...Those croissants are great!:)
(my very favorite is the two upraised fingers,benedictorial-like,Opinel mark unto today...).
Thanks Ernest for that info on those.

I couldn't agree more, & I thought exactly the same thing about the Opinel hand mark being very similar.
Below is the mark on the chisel I handled a few posts ago & a big adjustable wrench. I have more Peugeot tools, will dig them out.
And below that..... how do I even start to identify the larger plane's iron when "Marca de Fabrica" more or less translates to "Trademark"!!!
I love the hammer though.

Nq7nXtN.jpg

XY1CuiE.jpg

Great thread. It is wonderful to see participation on this forum from somewhere besides the USA.

Thank you very much! :) I realise sometimes my content strays quite a long way from Axes & hatchets & thank everyone for their tolerance.....

To make up for it here's some sexy axe content, I'm messing about etching a large old wrought iron wrap axe head, I shouldn't really as it's pretty old but sometimes I can't resist! This is how it comes out of vinegar (ferric in the past) & the black wipes off easily, it's still wet in the image. The very black bit I've painted to save it being eaten away as the higher carbon bit is etched at a much faster rate to the wrought so this protects it somewhat.

hxTP25g.jpg

The other side is no where near as interesting. Time will tell how it turns out as its a very slow process.

iNRrEbS.jpg

Back