Springfield XDm 3.8" .45 ACP Compact

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by BrainOnSigs, Dec 4, 2011.

1. BrainOnSigs

BrainOnSigs

Oct 14, 2003
    I will start out with a 3 letter word. WOW! This is not only a well thought out gun, but a well thought out package.

The package is brilliant. It comes with the pistol, a match grade barrel, an excellent case, 2 mags (9 round flush mount and 13 round extended), a holster, a double mag carrier, a mag loader, 3 sizes of back straps, and 3 sizes of grip extenders (to match the back strap size you select so there isn't a gap). I think the larger capacity mag is a huge bonus.We all know that the grip is the tough part in CCing....but who cares if the back up mag is larger.....it is just as easy to conceal.

I hit a local indoor range today and put 140 rounds thru it. I ended up shooting 100 rounds of Winchester white box FMJ and 40 rounds of Speer Gold Dot HP.....all in 230 gr.

Impressions:

1) Soft shooter...very controllable for a shorter frame.

2) I shot equally as well with the flush mount 9 round mag as I did with the 13 round extended grip mag.

3) Accurate....I was able to shoot several "one ragged hole" Shoot-N-C targets at 30 feet.

4) Comfortable......I switched out the medium back strap for the small and it felt perfect.

5) Reliable....not very many rounds (140) but no issues at all.

6) Attractive looking gun

I would recommend this weapon to anyone who likes the .45 ACP round. I think it will be a big seller.

Flush mount mag on left and full cap mag with grip extender on right:
    [​IMG]

2. voracious1

voracious1

Aug 10, 2011
    And for next week's review we'll be chopping up that xdm with a ffbm.:eek:

3. BrainOnSigs

BrainOnSigs

Oct 14, 2003
    Not sure you will be able to dent the Melonite...:D

4. ChristoDart

ChristoDart

Jun 29, 2011
    That's a pretty sweet looking gun. I like the extended grip as well.

5. kdstrick

kdstrick

May 27, 2007
    I own it's bigger brother, and like it a lot. I'm a size medium glove and most double-stack 45's just don't work for me... including the Glock. I installed the Powder River kit and it is a great improvement over the stock trigger. The stock trigger is ok for a DAO trigger... but I'm real picky about my triggers.

Here's a link to the match trigger kit: http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=5&categoryId=3

[​IMG]

6. kdstrick

kdstrick

May 27, 2007
    Doh... double tap...

7. CountyRat

CountyRat

May 7, 2009
    Brian, congratulations and thank you for letting us know how the XD performed. I am thinking about getting one, but I have a question that I am sure you can answer. Can you wrap all three fingers around the grip with the shorter magazine, or is it a "2 finger" pistol with the shorter mag?

8. kniferMan

kniferMan KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 16, 2011
    The xds is also an amazing performer and a looker at that :). I think Springfield makes quality products. Congrats on your xdm!

9. spider991

spider991

Oct 10, 2011
    Ya know, i have always been a glock guy but i sure like the XDMs! Might take a real close look at that gun...thanks for the review.

10. Zymologist

Zymologist

May 21, 2012
    Nice glad you like your Xdm! I have the full size Xdm in .45 and the Xds in .45 and I love them both.

11. chopridesanRC51

chopridesanRC51 just happy to be here... Platinum Member

Jan 6, 2008
    The XDM is definitely well thought out and an awesome performer. I haven't put as many round through it as I would like because the XDS kind of took the top spot the last time I went to the range.

gun1.jpg

12. Cavalry_Scout

Cavalry_Scout

Jun 8, 2010
    I've got an XDm 9mm and carry it most days...can't argue with 20 HSTs...

13. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    CONGRATS!!! :thumbup: I have that on my short list as well! :D

Couldn't agree more with those statements!!! I am loving my XDs so far (I have the bitone). I also have a bitone XD subcompact in .40acp that has been quite the CCW workhorse.

[​IMG]

I can't really argue much with that, though the HST's coming out of my XD's make a larger hole! ;) (I also carry a Kel-Tec PF9 which carries 9mm +p HSTs)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  14. GregB

GregB Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2000
    Big fan of the XD's. I've got an XDS right now that I'm very fond of:)

GregB

15. dman62

dman62 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 27, 2010
    XD's are very nice guns. Good purchase!

16. amdmaxx

amdmaxx

Aug 28, 2012
    Great gun

17. TRog

TRog Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Man this is news to me! Was considering the XDs but my local shop guy said they where having issues with them. Anyone of you guys with the XDS's have any problems with them? I'll have to check out the XDm(3.8) soon. Thanks for the post

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  18. kniferMan

kniferMan KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 16, 2011
    My xds is simply flawless and awesome. I heard that you are suppose to oil them out of the box. Maybe some guys weren't and maybe it was causing problems. Every review I've read had never mentioned problems.

19. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NO issues whatsoever with mine, with several hundred down the pipe (mostly fmj, but about 40 +p Federal HST's). I suggest you check out the "XD talk" forums for the most current info. I suspect your local shop guy may be slightly biased if he told you that.

I did nothing to it out of the box. Literally went straight to the range and put 200 rounds through it. It is a surprisingly soft shooter for what it is, though it torques more than any other pistol I've ever shot. I'd much rather shoot my XDs than my 9mm Kel-Tec PF9.

20. Cavalry_Scout

Cavalry_Scout

Jun 8, 2010
    They've been around in the state's for a decade with no major issues..