Spyderco Chapparal FRN LW - No Stock Anywhere?

Was wanting to pick one of these up - I've checked online retailers - the usual suspects - and can't find one anywhere. Come on Spyderco!!

Anyone know of a retailer that is stocking this knife?

The best I see is one site saying back in stock in 2-3 weeks.

The Spyderco Chaparral LWT has suffered (benefited) from the effects of Shabazzing.

I love Nick's reviews and completely agree with him about the Chappy LWT, but when he gushes more than once about a knife, you can expect them to sell out fairly quickly...especially an inexpensive, excellent, widely available Spyderco like the Chappy LWT.

We're rapidly getting to the point where we can compile an Urban Knife Dictionary of terms related to Nick:

Shabazzing: The rapid disappearance of certain desirable knife models after recently appearing in a "Best of 20**" Nick Shabazz knife review video. Shabazzing is rarely permanent but can lead to sold out stock and in some rare cases, elevated secondary market prices. Major knife manufacturers continue to deny that Shabazzing is a genuine phenomenon whilst simultaneously packing up boxes of knives for his perusal.
Shabazz Hands: Apparently first used by ScooterG ScooterG , and not to be confused with "Jazz Hands", Shabazz Hands in it's most simple use refers to a grown man with hands smaller than average. Taken to an extreme, the condition of Shabazz Hands can lead to irrational insults from mouth breathers who think the size of the hand makes the man. One benefit of Shabazz Hands; At the 7-Eleven, you can buy a Small Gulp and it will always look like a Big Gulp.

This could go big...

The Spyderco Chaparral LWT has suffered (benefited) from the effects of Shabazzing.

I love Nick's reviews and completely agree with him about the Chappy LWT, but when he gushes more than once about a knife, you can expect them to sell out fairly quickly...especially an inexpensive, excellent, widely available Spyderco like the Chappy LWT.

We're rapidly getting to the point where we can compile an Urban Knife Dictionary of terms related to Nick:

Shabazzing: The rapid disappearance of certain desirable knife models after recently appearing in a "Best of 20**" Nick Shabazz knife review video. Shabazzing is rarely permanent but can lead to sold out stock and in some rare cases, elevated secondary market prices. Major knife manufacturers continue to deny that Shabazzing is a genuine phenomenon whilst simultaneously packing up boxes of knives for his perusal.
Shabazz Hands: Apparently first used by ScooterG ScooterG , and not to be confused with "Jazz Hands", Shabazz Hands in it's most simple use refers to a grown man with hands smaller than average. Taken to an extreme, the condition of Shabazz Hands can lead to irrational insults from mouth breathers who think the size of the hand makes the man. One benefit of Shabazz Hands; At the 7-Eleven, you can buy a Small Gulp and it will always look like a Big Gulp.

This could go big...
Go big or go Shabazz.

I don't understand the LW Hype in general. I understand that a 2 oz cutting tool cuts as well as a 4 oz cutting tool if the blades are identical but are 2 oz gonna really make a difference for carrying? Maybe it's just my distaste for plastic/frn coming through and making me biased.

I don't understand the LW Hype in general. I understand that a 2 oz cutting tool cuts as well as a 4 oz cutting tool if the blades are identical but are 2 oz gonna really make a difference for carrying? Maybe it's just my distaste for plastic/frn coming through and making me biased.
When those two ounces are hanging from the corner of your pocket they can make quite a difference.

Of course now Shabazz is discussing his extreme dislike for the unlock bar on the back of the knife - or as he calls it "The Ugly."

When those two ounces are hanging from the corner of your pocket they can make quite a difference.

Well I am carrying a 5.5 oz TR4 right now and it's a good weight to me. (And a 2.2 oz CK Shuffler in my chest pocket.) Maybe I am just used to half a pound of stuff in my pockets where 2-3 oz make no difference anymore.
tenor.gif

I'm usually a little "meh" over Spyderco bi-Directional FRN, but for some reason the pattern on the Chappy LWT feels different to me. I recently got a Para 3 LWT and it's got the typical FRN "cheap" feel, but there's a little difference in the Chaparral FRN...not sure if it's composition or pattern...but it just doesn't feel cheap on that knife to me. I have a stepped titanium and Raffir Noble Chaparral, gave away a CF Chaparral...and for some reason the cheaper LWT one feels like the premium one in my hand.

If you haven't handled one, try to pick it up and see if you can feel a difference.

I'm usually a little "meh" over Spyderco bi-Directional FRN, but for some reason the pattern on the Chappy LWT feels different to me. I recently got a Para 3 LWT and it's got the typical FRN "cheap" feel, but there's a little difference in the Chaparral FRN...not sure if it's composition or pattern...but it just doesn't feel cheap on that knife to me. I have a stepped titanium and Raffir Noble Chaparral, gave away a CF Chaparral...and for some reason the cheaper LWT one feels like the premium one in my hand.

If you haven't handled one, try to pick it up and see if you can feel a difference.

It seems possible the difference is a matter of relative density; the Chap LW is exceptionally thin, and there’s likely little to no empty space in the handle since it has a lockback and a spring - so it’s comparatively solid.

The Para3 LW only needs a liner to hold the compression lock spring (and maybe a pin? I haven’t seen one apart) which means that the increased length of the knife and general open nature of the design means it is less dense for its size than the Chap.

This is entirely speculation, but it makes sense to me.

The Raffir Noble is very tempting I would probably try a LW one for a week but I know that I wouldnt be happy buying one. Especially at roughly 150$ here.

Good luck on your hunt for a chappy. I picked one up last month and it truly is a nice piece. Definitely going to be my" hazy-hot-humid " knife when I'm wearing lightweight drawstring type shorts by the pool stuff.

Yeah, the FRN pattern on Chaparral is very appealing.
And the color as well.
Because of the light weight, I can just drop it in my front pocket and forget about it (I took off the clip).

Highly recommend to try one when available.

Chap2.jpg

If the Delica if uprgraded to cts-xhp, would be a hundred dollar knife. The chap (besides the clip bolt location) is a great buy and better, more practical bang for your buck in the current market pricing

I have the carbon fiber and the LW. The LW is my favorite of the two. It is one of my two favorites tied for first place in my preferred edc. The other is the Urban LW.

I love my Native 5 LW, feels great in my hand.

Opticsplanet.com......Not sure about this site...but they are available with long shipping times

Link removed, read the site rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back