Spyderco CPM S110V MIlitary Full Review

Ankerson

Knife and Computer Geek
This has been a long time waiting for the Military in S110V to come out.

Got it last week and been working on testing it on 5/8" Manila rope, cardboard, Zip Ties, Wood, and Power Cord.

Reprofiled to 15 Degrees per side and sharpened to 400 grit silicon carbide finish (40 Micron).

1st up is the rope, cut 5/8" manila rope until 20 lbs of downforce was reached making draw cuts. It made 1,080 cuts with no edge damage and would slice phone book paper after testing.

DSC_5690.JPG

DSC_56921.JPG

Sharpened the knife back up after the rope stage.

DSC_57141.JPG

Next up was cardboard, cut 6,000 linear ft of cardboard checking every 500 ft for phone book paper sharpness, would still slice phone book paper after this stage, zero edge damage.

DSC_5701.JPG

DSC_5702.JPG

DSC_57031.JPG

DSC_5704.JPG

Next was wood, tested to check for edge strength, no edge damage was noticed and will still slice phone book paper.

DSC_5705.JPG

DSC_5706.JPG

DSC_57071.JPG

DSC_5709.JPG

Next up was 175# zip ties, no edge damage and still slicing phone book paper.

DSC_5710.JPG

DSC_5711.JPG

Last stage was Power Cord, no edge damage and still slicing phone book paper.

DSC_5713.JPG

Conclusion:

Performance was excellent and suffered no edge damage. Fit and finish was good, no blade play noticed in testing.

Last edited:
6,000ft of cardboard. That's.... A LOT.

It's interesting to see that it cut less rope than your Maxamet Mule team review by a good margin. But more cardboard by 2,000 ft. Any comments on that. I'm still learning the knife steel differences and things like this are very curious to me.

Thanks for another review. Loving it.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

6,000ft of cardboard. That's.... A LOT.

It's interesting to see that it cut less rope than your Maxamet Mule team review by a good margin. But more cardboard by 2,000 ft. Any comments on that. I'm still learning the knife steel differences and things like this are very curious to me.

Thanks for another review. Loving it.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

The MT did well on rope, but it wasn't as sharp after testing as the Military, the high hardness put the MT over the edge on the rope and it was very aggressive so it just kept cutting.

However once the knife loses phone book paper sharpness I will stop on cardboard, the MT lost it between 3500 and 4000 ft, with the Military I just stopped at 6,000 ft, it could have cut a lot more.

I try and keep the cardboard to a reasonable amount. ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like this one stayed good and sharp. Is this going to be your new edc 😊? Kevin 😊

I would have never guessed 😄😄😄😄
Kevin 👍

I would have never guessed 😄😄😄😄
Kevin 👍

I usually tend to go back to a Military as my EDC, still carried my S30V Military and still will. :)

Just ordered a K2 CPM10V and was wondering if I could expect similar performance as your CPM S110V Millatary. Noticed your avatar was CPM10V and thought you may have tested it.

They are similar, the K2 is a heavier use type knife than the Military.

As a side note the K2 and this S110V Military are the only 2 production knives I cut over a linear mile of cardboard with and was still able to slice phone book paper.

K2 Review:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Full-Review-and-testing?highlight=Spyderco+k2

Just to show how much cardboard this really is, here is my bins, blue one is the recycle bin, it's full of cardboard already, the cardboard from the Military is in the tarp. Thankfully the bin goes out this week, but will be full again once I put the Military cardboard in it. :eek:

DSC_57151.JPG

Another home run for Spyderco. Nice results and nice testing Jim. Wow. I don't think I'd want to arm wrestle you... :D I always had an impression that the Military was a bit large for pocket carry, but I might have to re evaluate that....

Another home run for Spyderco. Nice results and nice testing Jim. Wow. I don't think I'd want to arm wrestle you... :D I always had an impression that the Military was a bit large for pocket carry, but I might have to re evaluate that....

They carry smaller than people think. :D

Jim, you did an outstanding job. That Millie had wonderful performance. Really great! I appreciate all of your hard work.
Don

Last edited:
Back