1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Police 4 vs ZT 0452cf?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by sharp_edge, Jan 30, 2019.

1. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I did not pay attention to Spyderco Police 4 until recently and of course I have owned a ZT 0452cf for a few years and I love it. I know these two knives are very different in many aspects but they do share one thing in common: long and slim. I wonder for those who have had experience with both, what do you think about the Police 4 as compared to 0452cf? $200 is not cheap so I need to be sure before pulling the trigger. Thanks in advance.

2. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    own both. police is a great knife and.....

k390.

Filoso and abbazaba like this.
  3. SharpieB

SharpieB Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I think both are great knives but it would be hard for me to pay $200 for a Japan made Police in VG-10. Unless you go K390, I would go with something else.

IME, the Military would be a good choice to consider. Better steels generally, USA Made, more options, etc. Closer in size to the ZT as well.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. sharp_edge

Jul 30, 2015
    Spyderco Police 4 has K390 steel. I have 6 Militaries all sprint runs / dealer exclusives except 1. But thanks for chiming in.

A few things attracting me about Police 4 are it has backlock, which I think is a very secure lock, it has very thin blade, which makes it a great slicer, and it provides 4-way clip positions.

Winch and BBW like this.
  5. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I own and like them both.

Both have +4" blades and make a statement when you open them. The Police is lighter and thinner and has a bit longer blade and would be easier to carry for those reasons. The ZT0452CF has a more interesting and pleasing design that I enjoy looking at more than I do the Police 4, which apart from its size, looks pretty much like any other Spyderco

I would not carry either as an EDC but, if I did, I'd carry the Police 4 instead of the ZT, simply because I wouldn't feel as bad (ab)using it as I would if I did so w/the ZT.

However, if I wanted to carry a Police model as an EDC, I'd opt for the Police S/S instead which still has +4" blade long but costs much less than either the Police 4 and the ZT and is much more practical for such use. Yes, the Police S/S "only" uses VG10 steel but VG10 has proven it's usefulness over the decades and be easily sharpened w/a pocket stone as need be; not so K390 or S35VN.

sliceofaloha and sharp_edge like this.
  6. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    The Police 4 dwarfs the 0452. It is a truly massive knife. However, it makes sense in hand and the ergos allow you to feel like the entire blade is as controllable as a scalpel. The blade shape/width combined with K390 puts this knife in a league that very few knives are in. It is very slim and carries great, especially with a deep carry clip. All in all, the Police 4 was my favorite knife of 2017, and is still my favorite to cut with. Oh, and K390 is incredible.

[​IMG]

microbe, Filoso, jbmonkey and 2 others like this.
  7. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Why miss out on the fun?

[​IMG]

8. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Depends what you want to do with the knife. The P4 will cut circles around the 0452, the geometry is vastly superior for cutting. Both are cool blades though. I'll go ahead and give the nod to the Police, k390 :eek:

sharp_edge likes this.
  9. sharp_edge

Jul 30, 2015
    Thanks guys. Has there been any clone of Police 4 or have we been lucky with this one by far?

10. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    I don't think the 4 has been cloned... yet. Helps that it isn't a super popular piece like the PM2.

sharp_edge likes this.
  11. bertosknives

bertosknives

Jul 17, 2005
    Holy crap when did spyderco's become so expensive $200 for a police I've been gone for a couple of years and just read this post I guess something crazy happend when I was gone? Seriously did something happen to spyderco the other manufactures seem a little higher in price since I've been gone but not crazy price jumps

12. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    They make numerous models at different price points. Prices on everything go up, not down.

13. Chucktabulous

Chucktabulous

Jan 11, 2019
    Spyderco K390 vs ZT S35?
    K390, especially since I personally believe that Spyderco has about the best steel heat treatments out there for production knives (except for Busse and kin) but I haven't tried all the brands.

14. sharp_edge

Jul 30, 2015
    Also, Sal mentioned lightweight police 4. Or maybe I should just wait for it?

15. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Damn 200 for a police? You can buy a pistol for dat.

16. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Not a pistol I'd trust.

JBoone and Filthyj24 like this.
  17. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    I’d trust a hi point with gold dot HPs in the mag and chamber over a knife any day. That’s just me though

18. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Not me, maybe I'm a gun snob ha

19. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Rather have a pistol than a knife. But I don’t own a police or a high point. My CZ Rami hits where I want it to. But when I go hiking I pack my sp101 loaded with 200 grain hard cast. I’d rather have someone be prepared than jaded.

20. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    I'd be surprised it was released before 2020. Not a great pic, but here they are:

[​IMG]

4mer_FMF, unwisefool and sharp_edge like this.