Spyderco Spin Ordered

I ordered one of the new C86 Spins from KnifeWorks. I have a love for small knives as they are what I am allowed at work under 18USC930. It looks to be a "good'un". I'll post more when I get it.

FullerH said:
I ordered one of the new C86 Spins from KnifeWorks. I have a love for small knives as they are what I am allowed at work under 18USC930. It looks to be a "good'un". I'll post more when I get it.

How small does 18USC930 require?

Don't make me look it up, my head hurts.:confused:

18USC930 forbids the carrying of "dangerous or deadly weapons" into federally owned or leased buildings, other than courthouses, the US Capitol grounds, and the White House, but then goes on to define a "dangerous or deadly" weapon as follows:
(2) The term "dangerous weapon'' means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 2\1/2\ inches in length.

The exemptions for the courts, the Capitol, and the White House are because they have their own, rather more severe, requirements.

The SPIN looks like a go anywhere knife. I sure would like to hold one, I have large hands. I like the warni blade, it looks like a mini scalpel.

My Spin arrived last night and my first impression was: "God, this is a tiny knife!" The pictures do not do justice to how small it really is. The hilt is, quite literally, just large enough for two fingers to wrap around it and that is all there are finger grooves for. There is a sort of curved ramp on the back of the handle for the thumb and that is it for holding this knife. The blade is a Wharncliffe design and slopes so sharply to the tip that there is no place on it for your thumb. Of course, it is so small that I can see no need to "choke up" on the blade. I cannot see this knife being used in any sort of reverse grip.

The frame lock is as secure as can be asked of a lock and I really like the ergonomics, given the size. For those who oppose any blade engraving, there is a Spydie logo just in front of the Spyderhole, so be duly warned. The knife is tip down only and right hand only. There is no provision for mounting the clip any place but high on the right side, above the pivot. This is fine by me but will offend others. On the side of the hilt opposite the clip and the frame lock, there is an etched spider web, a very nice touch, IMO.

I have done some little cutting with it and it works well for the small tasks for which one would use a penknife. I think that Spyderco has a winner in this one as a vest or watch pocket special.

I just received a second hand Spin. It's now my all-time favorite Spyderco small knife and in fact, it's my all-time favorite small knife, period! I'm really impressed with this thing. Opens and closes so smoothly and all outside edges are smoothed. I've always been a fan of wharncliffe blades as they're so handy and super easy to resharpen. Personally, I'm 'old school' and prefer a solid, full SS spine but that's just me.

I immediately removed the pocket clip and now it's so super flat and feels so good in hand. I also attached a micro "FireFli" stainless steel keychain light and these two are a natural combo. This truly is a winner! Great design Eric and great execution.
SpydercoSpin.jpg

Back