SPYDERCO TATANKA with 5 inch VG-10 Steel 11.55" Long C180GP

Addicted_to_Knives

Gold Member
Hello knife addicts! I’d like to hear your opinion about my most recent addition – Spyderco Tatanka with 5 inch massive blade!

Personally I love the fact this knife blade is 5 inches long. Overall the knife feels good in hand and not as heavy as it sometimes feels in the pocket. I don’t think this would be too heavy to carry for hunting or perform other tasks, it’s a gorgeous knife with an awesome locking mechanism. Made in Japan, Seki city…

I just wished instead of VG10 they would use my favorite blade super steel M390 or CPM S110V… at least CPM 154.

Interested what do you think about this knife? You opinions?

MODEL NUMBER: C180GP

Length Overall: 11.55" (293 mm) / Blade Length: 5.05" (128 mm) / Blade Steel: VG-10 / Length Closed: 6.50" (165 mm) / Cutting Edge: 4.50" (114 mm) / Weight: 9.2 oz / Blade Thickness: 0.157" (4 mm) / Handle Material: G-10

JxcB584.jpg

CdrSb8R.jpg

Rc0ubFw.jpg

It's a big ass knife, reminds me of the big ass Cold Steel knives.

*time passes* *I think I should read about this* *I read about it on Spyderco's website*

Not only does it seem like they want to play in the same 'big ass knife' category as Cold Steel, it seems from the description of their lock that they want to play in the same Triad lock territory as well! That is, it sounds like a triad lock and upon further inspection looks like a triad lock with an extra complication so as not to be a tri-ad lock.

Who in the hell would...
That thing is a folding sword!

The "folding sword" :) feels truly awesome, at first I was hesitant but I did make the purchase after reading about it. I do like my knife blades 4 inches long, anything smaller than 3.6 just does not feel good in my hand. This is the only 5 inch blade I own, you will feel its weight it is not a light knife to carry (and not as heavy as it seems on pics), but I really like it.

When looking for it to buy lots of sellers did not have it or out of stock; came across this one for $280, supposed to be numbered and rare. I do not know much about this...

Didn't CM wave one already? These things are not new. In fact, I believe they're already discontinued.

Just bought one. I already know that it will be too long for any practical use. I prefer blades between 3.5-4". Just bought the Tatanka to fill out my collection of long bladed Spyders. It will be a safe queen.

BTW, I returned a 5.5" Cold Steel Voyager XL that I bought sight unseen when I realized how ridiculously large it was. I expect my reaction to the Tatanka will be similar but I already know how large it is and, despite its extreme length, it will fit as an end point in my collection.

Last edited:
I like big knives, but that is extremely large. Way nice though!
I know a 7'2" guy this would make it look like a pm2 on me.

Hello knife addicts! I’d like to hear your opinion about my most recent addition – Spyderco Tatanka with 5 inch massive blade!

Personally I love the fact this knife blade is 5 inches long. Overall the knife feels good in hand and not as heavy as it sometimes feels in the pocket. I don’t think this would be too heavy to carry for hunting or perform other tasks, it’s a gorgeous knife with an awesome locking mechanism. Made in Japan, Seki city…

I just wished instead of VG10 they would use my favorite blade super steel M390 or CPM S110V… at least CPM 154.

Interested what do you think about this knife? You opinions?

MODEL NUMBER: C180GP

Length Overall: 11.55" (293 mm) / Blade Length: 5.05" (128 mm) / Blade Steel: VG-10 / Length Closed: 6.50" (165 mm) / Cutting Edge: 4.50" (114 mm) / Weight: 9.2 oz / Blade Thickness: 0.157" (4 mm) / Handle Material: G-10

JxcB584.jpg

CdrSb8R.jpg

Rc0ubFw.jpg

It looks like a giant version of the exact knife everyone thinks of when you say the word “Spyderco.” Some sort of Enduraish, Policeish shaped knife.

It's a big ass knife, reminds me of the big ass Cold Steel knives.

*time passes* *I think I should read about this* *I read about it on Spyderco's website*

Not only does it seem like they want to play in the same 'big ass knife' category as Cold Steel, it seems from the description of their lock that they want to play in the same Triad lock territory as well! That is, it sounds like a triad lock and upon further inspection looks like a triad lock with an extra complication so as not to be a tri-ad lock.

Looks completely different than the triad to me.

Spyderco Power Lock
Knife-Locks-PowerLock.jpg

Regular backlock
DSCN2408.jpg

Triad Lock

Personally I would like to see Spyderco using the powerlock on more models of knife.

Last edited:
I thought it was interesting but probably needs to be handled in person to really get a feel for it.
When our state law limited carry to 5.5" blades, I thought I needed a Tatanka just because it was bumping the limit. Our law since changed so I don't have that need anymore. Otherwise I'm happy with blades between 3.5" and 4".

I really like big folders but.........I prefer 3.75" to 4.5" range just due to the bigger and longer handles that become awkward for use and odd in looks. all depends on the design of the knife. I find 5" + can be too big sometimes handle wise this knife is no exception.

I tend to prefer a fixed blade at a certain length. I have some 6" blade folders but I never carry them. at a certain size I feel they lose the advantages of a folder. all relative of course.

A Tatanka has been on my list for a year now. As someone who carries a Spyderco K2 daily I can appreciate their large blades. I won’t knock it because of the VG10 but it could have been bumped up a little. I wonder if they wanted to test the waters without breaking the bank.
Yep, time to get one soon !

Didn't CM wave one already? These things are not new. In fact, I believe they're already discontinued.
Yeah he prolly waved several lol. Would suck if it was discoed. Size of a CS, but with a back spring a lot less stiff. Good for people with arthritis and chicks.

Yeah he prolly waved several lol. Would suck if it was discoed. Size of a CS, but with a back spring a lot less stiff. Good for people with arthritis and chicks.

Pretty sure it has been. At least Spyderco's website says it has. If they don't know, I don't know who would.

I've never handled one but always wanted to. It's just too much for what you get for me to pull the trigger.

I own one. It's one of those knives that I keep around because of how unique it is but doesn't really get carried because of one thing or another. In this case -- it's too big!

If anyone wants to try a Powerlock in a more EDCable package, get the Chinook 4. Still huge (nearly 4") but not massive and much better looking.

Pretty sure it has been. At least Spyderco's website says it has. If they don't know, I don't know who would.

I've never handled one but always wanted to. It's just too much for what you get for me to pull the trigger.
I feel ya. I try and justify my purchases. Cost vs practicality and functionality. But after a while I’ll spend a few racks on stuff I don’t really need because I can lol.

Back