1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Steel Will Plague Doctor

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BruceMack, Mar 18, 2019.

1. BruceMack

BruceMack Basic Member Basic Member

May 20, 2015
    This morning I saw a video review of this honking knife with a 3.9 inch blade. I ordered it. The design is awesome in my opinion. I chuckle at the horror of my other knives when I drop this in the tray. Anyone else obsessed by it?

DocJD likes this.
  2. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    It sounds a like a whole lot of knife for the money, but a bit heavy for my tastes. I don't mind a big folder, but when you're closing in on 9 ounces that's a bit much.

I think the 9mm ultracompact pistol I'm carrying today weighs about 11 ounces, empty, for example.

Workingsloth777 and Lapedog like this.
  3. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    First I've heard of it. Yeah looks cool.
    Doesn't really look like a big knife.

4. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    In my favorite size range, but I can't tell if that goofy pocket clip is reversible for southpaws or not?? Almost looks like you'd need dedicated clips for each side, like some Cold Steels come with.

Lapedog likes this.
  5. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    It comes with a 2nd clip. :thumbsup:

JD Mandrell likes this.
  6. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016

Looks kinda cool . But for a folding fighter , I'll stay with the Cold Steel Tri-ad lock .

Pharmagator and Lapedog like this.
  7. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    8 and a half ounces sure seems high, but at least it looks quite solid... I couldn't EDC it

8. jceckrosh

jceckrosh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 2016
    Great name, but I think the knife falls (a bit) short of living up to all the cool imagery that name evokes. Additionally, several things are unappealing to me, but they are mostly cosmetic.

Lapedog likes this.
  9. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    I like it. Thanks for sharing.

10. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    I've seen much worse, this at least looks like it could be used for something other than just unexpected de-animations.

11. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    How can someone babble on for 30 minutes about a knife??

evilgreg, Mako109 and b00n like this.
  12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) It MUST be love ? :rolleyes:

13. Blacplastik

Blacplastik

Sep 7, 2017
    Too heavy for me to edc☹️

14. nightman

nightman Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2010
    Would you call that a reverse goiter blade shape?

Pharmagator likes this.
  15. Vicarious Reality

Vicarious Reality

Apr 9, 2008
    Blade reminds me of my ZT 804
    Handle reminds me of Beggs

So i guess thats good

16. BruceMack

May 20, 2015
    It's larger and quite a bit heavier than anything I own. The large flipper nicely deploys the blade which is best done with a pushbutton movement. The blade is well-centered and has no wobble when open. The clip has no hot spots but is so tightly sprung as to make it tough to hook to my jeans pocket. This should resolve with further use or perhaps a little persuasion with a shim. I don't notice the weight in my pocket, while it is very evident in my hand. I would not open it in a restaurant (for that matter I shy from opening any knife in public) but I'm delighted to deploy it and admire it at home. I'm happy I got this juggernaut.
    Size comparison with Cold Steel American Lawman.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pg3zwUEzL1gioc4G7

DocJD likes this.
  17. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    The smaller one is interesting, unique with the “hump” thumb ramp, I would like to hold one.

Side note...searching for the tag “plague doctor” on Instagram turns up some WEIRD stuff/people!

18. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    With a name like that I want it in Neon green and black swirly color. Id buy it in an instant but the size weight does make it a bit cumbersome

19. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    I understand why you wouldn’t want to make a show of it in public. It’s big. I like the spyderco millie which is similar in size but I use it when I need it in public a lot, albeit surreptitiously.

That’s one thing that I like about liner and frame locks. They’re quick to CLOSE. How quick a knife closes is something that’s overlooked by a lot of people IMO. I get it out, open, cut, close and pocket it in seconds. Unless some creeper is specifically staring at me no one really notices. It’s too fast to register “knife, oh nos!” :D I wonder what someone would have thought when I cut a thread off my wife’s shirt once. They probably would’ve thought they were witnessing a murder about to go down.

BruceMack likes this.
  20. BruceMack

May 20, 2015
    Update: Today I used it to cut up large cardboard boxes. The blade surprised me by being a great slicer. I think the behind the edge thinness helped in this. The small choil caused no hang-up and the long blade length contributed to almost effortless sweep cuts. It's not just big; it's useful.

Fire Beard likes this.