Steve Ryan Model 1

Well, the Ryan Model 1 arrived. This is a BIG knife. This link is a picture of a similar knife. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=122449&a=9513382&p=31149854&f=0
No amount of reading can prepare you for how big this knife is. Blade is 5&3/4" from the pivot point. Handle is 6&7/8". Liners are 3mm thick and blade is 4mm thick. The fit, finish and functioning are superb. Steve used a green/blue layered material for the handle that is quite attractive without being garish. The blade is right side ground. Steve put a clip on for me and it carries tip down very well in my LL Bean flannel lined jeans(Still cold here in Wisconsin) but you know the knife is there because it takes up the whole pocket and prints well. I think I will remove the clip, install the screws and be done with it. The "Spider" hole is easy to operate to open the knife. I will not carry this in Wis but only in Florida where I have a CCW. I think this knife came out of a batch Steve made for the Japanese market. Waiting for Model 7 Lt Wt. Dick

[This message has been edited by budrichard (edited 03-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by budrichard (edited 03-31-2001).]

OH man, I can't wait to order a few. Bust my keester with O/T to save. For those wondering, here is an email I got from the Ryans jsut a few days ago:

"Your catalog is current. We are not able to take any more new orders until
the end of the year. If you are still interested at that time, please
contact us and we will send you an updated price sheet.

Sincerely,

-Andrea Ryan"

------------------
-Scott
Usual Suspect

Yikes!!!!!!!

wait, lemme get my breath . . . .

Yikes!!!!!

THAT is the knife for Hannibal Lecter!

------------------
[previously incarnated as fishface, since 10/98]

the beatings will continue until morale improves

What is the design goal of that particular Ryan blade shape?

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 03-31-2001).]

It's my guess that it is used for scaring chickens to death. Just put their heads/necks on the chopping block, then aim to have the hollowed out space in the blade come down around the neck. No muss, no fuss, just one dead chicken, and a pile OS. Of course, it doesn't bleed them well, but it's got style, man!

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

A lot of his knives have that deep hook shape to them, in addition to several with a more subdued recurve. The purpose is for trapping limbs in really close quarters blade play. Many of them are designed so you can hook or trap with one part of the blade, while still being able to cut with another part.

I can't wait to get a few!

------------------
-Scott
Usual Suspect

I just received a Ryan Model 4, and it is very impressive. It has a left hand chisel grind, with a very slight hawk blade. Blade has beadblasted flats, with satin bevels, and the chisel side is completely satin. Next I'm planning on a Model 7 and a Model 11. Can't wait for them to start taking orders. I'll have to send away for a catalog!
biggrin.gif

Back