Recommendation? Sugestions for first Sebenza???

What blade shape?

• Standard Clip Point

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Insingo

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Tanto

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
So I have come to a point with blades I think everyone crosses eventually. The $300 barrier and looking at the iconic Sebenza. I am ready to place my order but I want my first to be just right (insert losing virginity jokes). I have decided on a plain jane large 21 but im tied up on the blade style. Should I go with standard clip point with that timeless look, go insingo for that unique cutter, or the more aggressive tanto (this one has been catching my eye). I know for most blade freaks this is a monumental moment Im just not sure what blade to go with or any other choice suggestions the seasoned veterans may want to add.

Thanks!

Most of my CRK's are the clip point, I've got a few tanto's and one Insigno blade. For me the most useful style is the clip point. There's lots of love for the Insigno blade. The tanto looks great, but is limited in day to day use.
I'd say, get the Insigno blade. It's more versatile than you may think.

The Insingo will definitely surprise you. I was reluctant at first because I always loved drop points. The Insingo is a fantastic every day carry blade shape.

So I have come to a point with blades I think everyone crosses eventually. The $300 barrier and looking at the iconic Sebenza. I am ready to place my order but I want my first to be just right (insert losing virginity jokes). I have decided on a plain jane large 21 but im tied up on the blade style. Should I go with standard clip point with that timeless look, go insingo for that unique cutter, or the more aggressive tanto (this one has been catching my eye). I know for most blade freaks this is a monumental moment Im just not sure what blade to go with or any other choice suggestions the seasoned veterans may want to add.

Thanks!

Just wanted to add the tip on the insingo is quite thin since it is by the edge of the knife rather than the spine. The tanto has the thickest most robust tip and the drop point is still fairly thick somewhere in between.

I have wanted to try a sebenza tanto for a while now.

Depending on our sharpening skills, the tanto may give some trouble at the transition between the main edge and the tanto edge. My skills are mediocre - at best - and I managed it, so it can be done.

The insingo, though... oh, the insingo! What a sweet blade. I have been able to get my L21 insingo as sharp as any knife I've ever owned. Simply a beautiful blade, that insingo.

I’ve personally never been a big fan of the drop point blade, mostly because of aesthetics. And I’ve found that if I don’t love the way a knife looks I’m not very likely to carry it.

I have a couple insingos and I love them. It’s a great shape that I think looks really great and is also very useful.

That being said, I (like you) was always drawn to the Tanto but I held out for three reasons:
1) Everyone says that they’re not that useful
2) I was worried that tantos looked too aggressive or mall ninja-ish
3) Everyone says they’re hard to sharpen.

Finally I picked one up and, wow. Love it. I actually find the blade shape quite useful. One long, relatively straight edge and then a secondary edge on the tip. Similarly, you kind of get two tips: one finer tip in the transition between edges and one robust one at the actual tip. It might not be very traditional but I really love the versatility.

Secondly, CRK tantos are absolutely gorgeous. Since getting one I’ve never been concerned that it’s going to scare anyone or look out of place. In fact, I think they look rather elegant.

And lastly, I’ve never felt that they’re hard to sharpen. Treat each edge as a separate edge and you’re golden. Just strop the edge at the tip to maintain that beautiful convex grind.

I understand the inclination to get something more traditional or, I dunno, maybe safer? More useful? Less weird? But as someone who put off a Tanto for a long time and later regretted having waited, I’d say you should get whatever you’re drawn to. If you’re more drawn to a Tanto, I think you’ll love and use it more than any other blade shape.

Just my two cents, of course. No wrong answer as long as you tell us what you decide on!

I appreciate the comments guys! As for sharpening I have a wicked edge so none of the blades scare me on sharpening. I hate to make it all about looks because function is extremely important but the insingo is my least favorite appearance wise same reason I dont own any sheepsfoot blades. The clip point is boring but timeless and useful with a thicker tip compared to the insingo. I agree with you VermontEdge the tanto in everyday can come off as a office seal blade lol. Ive just always loved the look and you are correct CRKs version is beautiful. Choices.....choices id say buy all three but my wife would kill me. lol

Edit: I will let everyone know what I decide on and post a picture I think its mandatory with a Sebie

I’ve personally never been a big fan of the drop point blade, mostly because of aesthetics. And I’ve found that if I don’t love the way a knife looks I’m not very likely to carry it.

I have a couple insingos and I love them. It’s a great shape that I think looks really great and is also very useful.

That being said, I (like you) was always drawn to the Tanto but I held out for three reasons:
1) Everyone says that they’re not that useful
2) I was worried that tantos looked too aggressive or mall ninja-ish
3) Everyone says they’re hard to sharpen.

Finally I picked one up and, wow. Love it. I actually find the blade shape quite useful. One long, relatively straight edge and then a secondary edge on the tip. Similarly, you kind of get two tips: one finer tip in the transition between edges and one robust one at the actual tip. It might not be very traditional but I really love the versatility.

Secondly, CRK tantos are absolutely gorgeous. Since getting one I’ve never been concerned that it’s going to scare anyone or look out of place. In fact, I think they look rather elegant.

And lastly, I’ve never felt that they’re hard to sharpen. Treat each edge as a separate edge and you’re golden. Just strop the edge at the tip to maintain that beautiful convex grind.

I understand the inclination to get something more traditional or, I dunno, maybe safer? More useful? Less weird? But as someone who put off a Tanto for a long time and later regretted having waited, I’d say you should get whatever you’re drawn to. If you’re more drawn to a Tanto, I think you’ll love and use it more than any other blade shape.

Just my two cents, of course. No wrong answer as long as you tell us what you decide on!

I’m a big tanto lover too. On chisel ground tanto knives you actually do less sharpening than a non tanto v edge. Think about it for a chisel grind sure you need to treat the two edges of the tanto as two separate jobs but since you are only really doing one side it is less overall.

Also the truth is that I find that as most tantos feature straight or almost straight edges they are actually easier for me to sharpen. On most knives where I have trouble sharpening it is the curved belly toward the tip.

Also I love the secondary tip on tantos.

Hi Jrob, reading your posts, it looks to me like you're leaning towards the tanto. You've gotten votes for each of the three styles.

Here's my (unsolicited) advice; since you've mentioned it twice, get the tanto first. Soon thereafter, get your wife THREE really nice things that she's been talking about, not all at once, over the course of several weeks. During that time, casually mention the drop point blade, no more than once every other week (you're planting a seed here, dont expect ripe tomatoes immediately). If you're doing it right, soon she'll be checking around to see if she can find a good deal on the drop point. You've been patient so far, but dont jump at this first glimmer of hope (because right now you're being tested, the tomatoes are too green to pick). After she happily engages in a few SHORT conversations about the idea of a second CRK, then you're ready to consider getting another. (Remember to continue engaging with her about her interests too, buying her three nice things doesn't mean you're done, you're never done). With patience and communication, I'd wager you'll be enjoying your tomatoes by Christmas.

:)

--Sean

I know you said your first Sebenza but a lot of the boardies love the Tanto Umnumzaan. Something to think about.

Large 21 drop point plain Jane is a favorite and IMO you can’t go wrong with it

I also like my large 21 Insingo with micarta inlays a lot

But the basic drop point is great

Im giving it a week before i pull the trigger and Im thinking the tanto just because im drawn too it but pretty sure thats going to be followed by more (I can see the addiction).

Hi Jrob, reading your posts, it looks to me like you're leaning towards the tanto. You've gotten votes for each of the three styles.

Here's my (unsolicited) advice; since you've mentioned it twice, get the tanto first. Soon thereafter, get your wife THREE really nice things that she's been talking about, not all at once, over the course of several weeks. During that time, casually mention the drop point blade, no more than once every other week (you're planting a seed here, dont expect ripe tomatoes immediately). If you're doing it right, soon she'll be checking around to see if she can find a good deal on the drop point. You've been patient so far, but dont jump at this first glimmer of hope (because right now you're being tested, the tomatoes are too green to pick). After she happily engages in a few SHORT conversations about the idea of a second CRK, then you're ready to consider getting another. (Remember to continue engaging with her about her interests too, buying her three nice things doesn't mean you're done, you're never done). With patience and communication, I'd wager you'll be enjoying your tomatoes by Christmas.

:)

--Sean

You sir are a genius Ive been married for three years and unfortunately I have had the philosophy its easier to ask for permission than forgivness. I really dig the slow and steady cat and mouse Im pretty sure this can work on my wife and hey she gets a few nice things too. I bet the sebies will hold their value much more than purses and shoes lol.

“You sir are a genius Ive been married for three years and unfortunately I have had the philosophy its easier to ask for permission than forgivness. I really dig the slow and steady cat and mouse Im pretty sure this can work on my wife and hey she gets a few nice things too. I bet the sebies will hold their value much more than purses and shoes lol.”

A concept most non knife people (especially spouses) don’t understand. You take a hit when you drive a crk off the lot -but not too bad compared to most other discreationary purchases. It will ride inflation upwards from there.

Edit: Apologies for the cut and paste quote. Thought I replied with quote the first time.

Last edited:
So just a follow up I made my decision. Im going with a PJ clip point large 21 as my first. While I heavily discussed my connection to the tanto I know this won't be my one and only Sebenza or CRK for that matter. So all you guys have been awesome giving me your thoughts and opinions. I should get this baby here in the next couple days I will post pictures of her. Thanks!!!

Back