Suggestions for <2.5" Folders?

Greetings all. There've been a few similar threads over the years but I thought it might be worth a more current thread. Though I live in a very knife-friendly state (with a preemption statute), I work in a federal courthouse. So I'm subject to 18 U.S.C § 930 and its prohibition on carrying anything beyond "a pocket knife with a blade of less than 2½ inches in length."

I've got a few in my current line-up: Buck 55, CRKT Squid, Kershaw Scallion, Spyderco Dragonfly.

But I'd love to hear other suggestions. Thanks in advance!

I really like the 55. Very solid little knife. I have one in my pocket right now, absolutely sharp as a razor. Pretty stout for its size, too.

I can always understand wanting more to add to your collection, but IMO you have ALL you need in that size already.

Dragonfly!

I love my DF varients, such an awesome little knife that really thinks it's much bigger.

Have you considered more traditional knives? So many different patterns out there I couldn't even try to name them all, but I think they'd be a good bet. If that type of knife would interest you, I'd suggest you scan through the thread "What Traditional Knife Are You Totin' Today". You'll see a huge variety of knives.

ZT's 0900 is a wee bit bigger than you're after(2.75 blade), but it's a great little knife. I have one in my pocket right now.

Last edited:
As a guy who does a lot of work in federal courthouses, I hear ya. The answer, for me, has been a Victorinox Cadet. The alox is a classy look, the SAK is as non-threatening as it gets. I've handled it and used it in front of people who are TERRIFIED of knives, and it doesn't even register with them that it has a blade.

It's a way to carry a knife, but also a couple of there tools, and yet is so thin it's probably thinner than anything on your list. Ultimate utility in a classy and non-threatening package. The fact you can pick them up for under $30 is just icing on the cake.

Classy and functional tiny knife tops with the Rike Hummingbird. Get a version with colored handles and you won't get any bad looks ever using it, but you might get a lot of people calling it cool or cute. I've used it to break down cardboard, it's a super functional knife.

I just received the TRM Viator, lightweight and doesn’t look intimidating. Where I work is 3” or less. The Viator is 2 7/8” but could be ground down or given a larger choir to 2 1/2”. I can get extra scales from TRM in different colors and give it a non threatening look.

I’m not familiar with this model, but I just saw that Massdrop currently is offering the Spyderco Vrango. It’s specified with a 2.5 inch blade.

I know I am in the minority when I talk about these, but I like the Boker Subcom. The short blade and handle are extra wide and give a good grip with better cutting power than I would expect in the small blade. The Cold Steel tuff-lite also has a small-ish blade that lets you get all 4 fingers on the handle, and I have always appreciated that.

The Olamic Busker is only 2.375 and is an awesome knife. Also, even smaller but still functional and modern is the Fellhoelter Frikky-just slip it in your pocket and forget about it until you need it. You should note that the Techno is just over 2.5".

Spydero Squeak might suit you. Not sure about anything else other than it is in either elmax or N690 and fits your size requirement. IMHO, I think you're fine with your collection right now, but there ain't no shame in expanding it a little

In the work environment you mention any SAK would be perfect. For a dedicated small folder I would recommend a kershaw dividend, spyderco delica, or Ontario rat 2.

I have to go into Chicago a lot, so in an effort to stay legal I've piled up a bunch of <2.5" options over the years. I used to just carry whatever, but after having one of my customer's employees get railroaded by Chicago police for having a Leatherman in his backpack I decided to quit taking the unnecessary (and very real, however improbable) risk of running into a cop that wanted an excuse to jam me up.

My most carried are the Spyderco Cat, Olamic Busker, Cold Steel Tuff Lite and recently the Bestech Goblin (the knife that hilariously ended my "don't buy any knives in 2018" New Year's resolution a few days into the year).

I have piles of small Spyderco knives, and the Cat with custom scales added to it is my favorite, though if I was buying another knife that size from Spyderco today I'd have to try the Lil Native, it looks like it would be very nice. My Cat looks like this:

60AMt1x.jpg

The Tuff Lite is cheap, plastic, and an absolute beast in use. IMO it soundly spanks all of my small Spydies when it comes to actual use, though it's not the prettiest thing and I always sand off all the rough edges on the plastic handles and break the edges of the spine with a file when I get a new one. These things are a hell of a knife, budget considered or not:

3tbo2Ds.jpg

If you want a gorgeous small knife with a million options and don't mind spending for it, I couldn't recommend the Olamic Busker more. I love mine, and it's a fun knife to fondle. That said, the finger choil at the start of the blade/pivot area of the handle is not nearly so pronounced as on some other knives this size which IMO makes this knife prettier, but I suppose also potentially slightly less safe to use with a full four finger grip. I use mine all the time and have never cut myself, but if you're looking for a deep half-circle index finger choil you won't find it on the Busker. Mine looks like this:

SUpw64a.jpg

Back