Swamp Rats and cocktail hacks

scdub

Basic Member
I recon that any day now we’re bound to hear some interesting official news from the brass.

Until then…

Swamp Rat:
Custom Shop Desert Storm Fighter - one of my favorites. Mini survival/all-arounder.

Drink hack:
When you run out of Malibu coconut rum to mix with your (frozen) 4 year old Flor De Cana rum and a quarter of a lime, (with a side of caffeine free soda); just replace the Malibu with a small amount of brown sugar.
Pretty good! (or at least not bad). ;)

E4307D2F-DE79-43E0-9FD2-C32F364C1E7D.jpeg

5D30A3F4-CA47-4721-83F0-2BFCA8FF3FF7.jpeg

Last edited:

scdub

Basic Member
Any other unconventional drinking happening around the swamp? I’m always interested in new ideas/flavors. Neat whiskey is great but sometimes variety is nice…

scdub

Basic Member
Ok here’s another - more of a lesson really - that just happened.
Imagine…
You accidentally make your second martini a quadruple instead of a double (2 oz Grey Whale gin [or other London Dry style gin] and 1/10 cap of Gallo Extra Dry Vermouth, shaken ~125-150 times in a shaker full of ice, so as to form little ice crystals on the surface of the drink, along with 2-3 nice olives).
Despite a good effort, the drink becomes not-cold. Unfortunately habit precludes thought and you go ahead and fill up the shaker with ice again and…

🛑 STOP!!

Learn from my mistake!! Don’t use ice to re-freeze a martini - either put that sucker in the freezer for a bit or, if you’re in a hurry, use some metal/stone freezer cubes that won’t water down your drink. I was able to finish the second half of my watered-down quadruple, but it wasn’t great. Waving my knife around helped a bit.
133D2015-F0A0-4D13-9D8D-E30072F751ED.jpeg

ScoMa

Gold Member
Haven’t had a drink in years, but I’m still enjoying this thread. :thumbsup:

scdub

Basic Member
Knife waving makes everything better
I tend to agree. :)

This is absolutely my favorite knife to wave around:
AE44BDAE-0E54-4801-94E3-73D26666E775.jpeg
Second generation (first gen is my grail) Swamp Rat Taliwhacker. Excuse a bit of oil on the blade. I’ve used/sharpened this knife more than anything else in my collection. My second favorite knife overall after the Sawmandu.

Ok here’s the hack:
If you enjoy neat whiskey with a beer chaser, treat yourself to a few specialty vessels…
#1) Tasting glass. I don’t know much about them but my buddy got me the one in the picture and it really does change/concentrate the “nose” of the whiskey.
#2) Busse guys might not approve, but a couple of “freezer mugs” will keep a couple of beers very frosty while you sample some spirits. [Hack 2B - if you don’t have freezer mugs, try chucking a can (~50 minutes) or bottle (~60 minutes) into the freezer for a nice beer icee.]
Also - even if you don’t think you like rye whiskey (which I didn’t until 2 weeks ago) - there are a couple which I suggest you try. Barrel Seagrass Cask Strength (pictured) and Alberta Premium Cask Strength. These are both super flavorful/delicious imo.

Also a quick note for those on the wagon: Congrats and keep at it! I plan to be joining your ranks after I retire and grow up a bit. ;)

Last edited:
Hack 2C: to chill bottles or cans more quickly in the freezer, wrap them in a damp paper towel first.

Been loving the Ryes lately btw. Have a Seagrass and a Rare Breed Rye open at the moment, a few others on deck (Alberta Premium, Willett Family Estate, etc…)