Thanks Ethan! (March 2014 Challenge prize)

As most of you know, I was awarded a BK15 as my prize for competing in the March 2014 Shelter Building Challenge.

It arrived today--thanks Ethan & KaBar! Not only did I get a brand-new 15 (which I have been wanting for some time), he also incuded 2 BK&T "Whittlin' Sticks," 100ft. of Decoy Line, and 3 BK&T stickers.

Thanks again--you rock! :thumbup:

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

Ethan Becker is a real class act!
That's an awesome prize package!
Congrats man.

congrats ethan and kabar are top notch people without a doubt. the interviews and stuff with mr. ethan I saw on youtube where also a deciding factor in my first becker purchase I mean you get a top quality usa made knife burt its designed by one of the most geniue and down too earth people I think you could find and that means something now adays in the pay me and go away society we are becoming . I like spending my money on good products and its even better when they are made by good people!

Thanks for replying, everyone! I have been wanting a BK15, whittling is one of my favorite pastimes, and how did Ethan know that I needed more cord?

And as for the man himself, I can't say anymore than has already been said, except for THANK YOU! :thumbup:

Ethan Becker is a real class act!
congrats ethan and kabar are top notch people without a doubt.
Great man... Great company.... Great reason to be a beckerhead
Ethan Rocks.

Ethan is a trifle old to rock but, he does appreciate the folks who hang out here........ A lot........

Ethan

Not sure how or where to Post this. So if this needs to be moved, please move and I apologize.

I broke my loved BK2 yesterday and still can't believe this happened. Yes, I was batoning wood. However I was using a wood baton on Cedar which is really easy to split. Their was a knot and I went though it. Unfortunately the knife snapped in half. It broke around 1/2" away from the 1st bolt. It was just where the cut out or skeletonized area of the blade was removed to save weight or improve balance. It looks like this geometry transition area created a stress riser. I would have though with the large radius in this area and the .25" steel that this would not happen so easily. I wish no steel had been removed in this area on this stock knife. It would be stronger if this were solid. So I am kinda bummed this happened to one of my favorite knifes that I trusted so highly. Hopefully something can be learned from this. I wish it was just a bad heat treat and the knife was brittle in this area, but I thick it may be more geometry related. Not sure what to do here, so I appreciate any advice. I don't want anyone to be upset by this, but would like to better understand why this broke and how to prevent it. I really need a good carbon steel knife that I can baton small wood with and have no fear of it breaking in the field. I would like to post a picture of this, but I can't seem to figure out how. Any help?

Thanks

Back