The Becker Brother-in-Law: My new JAB Potbelly

It's not a Becker, but damn if it isn't in the family. This is be a work in progress, but here's what we have right up front:

Glamour shot with the Piggyback:
461004_2086625860660_1695575791_993444_1557968664_o.jpg

In the hand:
525464_2086626980688_1695575791_993445_1557608655_n.jpg

If you know me, you know I have to add the Wilson Wrap. NOW this thing has INCREDIBLE GRIP!
463528_2086762224069_1695575791_993491_1665062323_o.jpg

However, with the wrap on (non-negationable!), the bottom snap wont fit. Bye-Bye! Salvaged piece from BK16 sheath ready to patch.
478938_2086737063440_1695575791_993482_2113559519_o.jpg

Cover and glue in place...
457603_2086739583503_1695575791_993483_1544881696_o.jpg

Working and looking good now!
457382_2086740463525_1695575791_993484_1937958630_o.jpg

Crappy pic of finished (for today) sheath with wrapped knife in place:
538571_2086742663580_1695575791_993489_1240760980_n.jpg

Trying to imagine what this knife is going to look like with the high polish hollow grind, cliched flats, and black handles. Stay tuned.....

Traitor!! Just kidding, It's more like you took in the less popular cousin-in-law of the family.

Damn that was pretty fast. I can't wait to see what mods you do. I've been tryinh to hold off to get this one and have been thinking of the mods that I would do. Any plans on getting some kydex for her? Or you gonna just use the stock 10 ft sheath ..... Haha Congrats on the new steel. Oh BTW let's see some action shots !!!!!!

Traitor!! Just kidding, It's more like you took in the less popular cousin-in-law of the family.

"Less Popular?" The Potbelly is a fave of both the Moose and the Pimp of the Purple Blanket. Equip2Endure, and everyone else that tests this blade shows that it dominates most everything in wood processing chores. Some would say it is equal to, if not a slightly better chopper than the BK9. And Steve Johnson is a friend of the forum.

I never liked the handle, but on this thicker knife (as opposed to the ZK knives) it makes sense now. It's a 1/4"thick beast of a knife, just like it's "little" brother, the BK2. Meant for only the manliest of men...It's 1/4" thick HOLLOW GROUND, Kabar heat treated 1095cv. Thats near demonic.

Nice C_Tanner, I've been waiting for more people to do some serious mods on the Potbelly. I've toyed with the idea of getting one before, so now I can just live vicariously :D

How does the weight feel in-hand compared to a BK2?

Nice C_Tanner, I've been waiting for more people to do some serious mods on the Potbelly. I've toyed with the idea of getting one before, so now I can just live vicariously :D

How does the weight feel in-hand compared to a BK2?

I'll be doing a video tommorrow showing it beside the Bk2 and Bk9. Its a hefty knife!

"Less Popular?" The Potbelly is a fave of both the Moose and the Pimp of the Purple Blanket. Equip2Endure, and everyone else that tests this blade shows that it dominates most everything in wood processing chores. Some would say it is equal to, if not a slightly better chopper than the BK9. And Steve Johnson is a friend of the forum.

I never liked the handle, but on this thicker knife (as opposed to the ZK knives) it makes sense now. It's a 1/4"thick beast of a knife, just like it's "little" brother, the BK2. Meant for only the manliest of men...It's 1/4" thick HOLLOW GROUND, Kabar heat treated 1095cv. Thats near demonic.

Oh yeah, a fav of mine, for sure. That hollow grind is DEEP and with all that ass behind it, that knife is a wood processing fool. No worries about breaking that bad boy, at all.

I reviewed mine on some Rose of Sharon, which is very similar to willow. My PB tore through it like tissue paper. And not bad weighed either, don't get me wrong, its heavy, but with the right lanyard, its kinda like using a big BK2 with a hollow grind.

Great knife.

Moose

100_2398.jpg

100_2402.jpg

100_2406.jpg

100_2407.jpg

Moose, try that Wilson wrap on it....its a HUGE difference!

But is so butt ugly!!!

Looks like some homeless knife when you do that. :D

I actually dipped min in Plastidip, before the Ol' Man (FIL) took it as his primary knife on his and my MIL's American Adventure. They bought a HUGE RV, and are spending the spring, summer, and fall traveling the US, coast to coast.

I told the Ol' man, he needed some steel for his adventures, along with some help making sure they had training and gear, I let him choose from any of the knives in my knife cabinet. He's one of 3 people to actually see inside my knife cabinet.

I unlocked it, told him to pick any two he wanted, and left him with it.

An hour and half later, he came out with my JAB Potbelly and a JAB Piggyback folder as his two.

I'm not bragging, but my knife cabinet would make some folks break out in a cold sweat. Out of all of them, he chose the PB and folder because "They feel good, and they look like they can do what they need to. Plus, I like the handles."

Shit you not.

Moose

It isn't as pretty as micarta, but the grip it gives you (ESPECIALLY on Becker Grivory) I'm willing to take the trade off. It actually looks better in person, and will look better when the knife is stripped and the black scales get put on. It might not be sexy, but anyone picking one of my knives up always says how good the grip is. The only one that isn't is the MkI for obvious reasons, and it'll come off of the BK16 when I get around to getting those Black Micarta scales SC makes. (Its mostly on my choppers)

I might get some small ranger bands or something similar and just do one part of the handle, but for now the grip is 1000X better with it on.

Edit to add: Wait a minute....MY PB looks "Homeless" and you dipped yours in that plastic dip stuff? Yuk. Has to be a mess when you decide you want it gone. I just unwrap the wrap.

Last edited:
I just said it's less popular, not less functional. I still think that's fair to say. Obviously there's people that love the thing, including many well respected, knowledgeable, talented folks, but I don't see a Ka-Bar & Johnson Adventure group sub-forum on here or a roving group of PotbellyHeads.

Excited to see it with the mods on it.

I just said it's less popular, not less functional. I still think that's fair to say. Obviously there's people that love the thing, including many well respected, knowledgeable, talented folks, but I don't see a Ka-Bar & Johnson Adventure group sub-forum on here or a roving group of PotbellyHeads.

Excited to see it with the mods on it.

True. But, to be fair to SJ, He only has two fixed blades and they've only been out a little more than a year. Thats a long road before it's Becker-level. But construction wise, they are made in the same place from the same materials with the same HT as Becker. I wonder if he has any new designs slated for Ka-Bar? The Baconmaker doesn't do it for me, but then, it would if I were hunting feral hogs. It (the PB) does go good with the Beckers.

Tommorrow I'll put up some pics alongside the 2 and 9.

It isn't as pretty as micarta, but the grip it gives you (ESPECIALLY on Becker Grivory) I'm willing to take the trade off. It actually looks better in person, and will look better when the knife is stripped and the black scales get put on. It might not be sexy, but anyone picking one of my knives up always says how good the grip is. The only one that isn't is the MkI for obvious reasons, and it'll come off of the BK16 when I get around to getting those Black Micarta scales SC makes. (Its mostly on my choppers)

I might get some small ranger bands or something similar and just do one part of the handle, but for now the grip is 1000X better with it on.

I was just screwin' around, I don't think its ugly. I prefer function over form in all things associated with my life.

If it makes the grip work for you, then by all means, its a great mod.

Moose

Seriously, Tanner, your pics have my finger hovering over the buy-it-now button. Great buy! I gotta get me one of those.

True. But, to be fair to SJ, He only has two fixed blades and they've only been out a little more than a year. Thats a long road before it's Becker-level. But construction wise, they are made in the same place from the same materials with the same HT as Becker. I wonder if he has any new designs slated for Ka-Bar? The Baconmaker doesn't do it for me, but then, it would if I were hunting feral hogs. It (the PB) does go good with the Beckers.

Tommorrow I'll put up some pics alongside the 2 and 9.

Maybe in 10 years we will be sharing these boards with the 'JohnsonHeads'. Actually, that name might not be best...

Seriously, Tanner, your pics have my finger hovering over the buy-it-now button. Great buy! I gotta get me one of those.

Depends on your amount of choppers. I'm deep on them, for my needs. Otherwise, get the BK4. I probably will sooner or later too...This one is just so unique I had to. There's just nothing common to compare it to. She's got a big ass...thats fo' sho!

Last edited:
I wonder if he has any new designs slated for Ka-Bar?

Um, Zombie Knives?

Yeah, he does those, or at least works with Toooj on them. I got to see his sketch book at SHOT, trust me, he's got some more deigns, both in green and brown.

Moose

Um, Zombie Knives?

Yeah, he does those, or at least works with Toooj on them. I got to see his sketch book at SHOT, trust me, he's got some more deigns, both in green and brown.

Moose

I figured Ka-Bar just said "Hey bud, were going to use your handle". I'm most interested in his brown knives.

Admittedly, I always thought the PB looked a little cumbersome in its design. I remember Moosez review and thought - wow that awkward SOB (the knife, not Moose :D ) really kicks some ass. I still have yet to play with one, but I think its on my top 5 knives to try...

Back