1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!
  3. Hey folks! We were alerted to a bug where several hundred members somehow got permanent paid memberships. We're going through and correcting that now. Somehow some of you somehow got yeaaaaaaars of free memberships, and, well, it happens. If your membership accidentally is turned off please post in the Service & Support forum thread with your transaction ID and I'll fix it

The Busse Combat Heavy Ordnance Grade Basic 8

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Will York, Dec 17, 2013.

Which style for the satin HOGB8?

Poll closed Aug 16, 2017.
  1. Regulator blade and handle shape, with .30+" thickness, but in satin INFI

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Basic blade and handle shape, but with modest swedged clip and massive thickness

19 vote(s)
    90.5%
  1. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    E/C, good point about Rags!;):thumbsup:

2. Rob_Mob

Rob_Mob Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Lmao -- I just laughed out loud at work, the billing department was not amused -- yikes!! ;)

3. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Surely he’s on Busse’s mailing list. I PM’d him just now, anyway.:thumbsup:

4. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    Pssssh....Bean Counters have NO sense of humor:rolleyes:...present company excluded of course;)

Rob_Mob likes this.
  5. littlehoot

littlehoot Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2015
    In for standard/DC.
    The original Basic 8 didn't do much for me, it was so light, it didn't feel substantial.

Hoping this one feels "beefy"

6. kingdmx3

kingdmx3

Apr 19, 2009
    Hey does any one know the blade height on this model by chance ? Thanks.

7. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    I'd be guessing right around Camp Tramp height. I won't be able to check mine until Monday, Hopefully someone here has one handy they can measure.

Yes... WHERE THE HECK IS RAGS and his COMBAT CAT?!?!?!?!?

kingdmx3 likes this.
  8. Stump Buster

Nov 15, 2007
    Friday Bump for old times sake...

Bring on the HOG B8 BossMan!!!

;););)

9. Will York

Jan 21, 2000
    Good point. For all the excitement, we don’t actually HAVE any HOGB8!:eek:

SO BRING IT!!!:thumbsup::cool:

10. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    The original is definitely a nimble blade, and even though the HOG is more cornfed and porkier I have a feeling Bossman made nimbling that big oinker his first design priority. I have a feeling that straight clip especially will make that infi dance as well as the different grind. Thats my conjecture anyway, who knows. I still cant pick between CG and satin, Im not a "just get both" kind of thinker especially with bigger blades.

Wish I could see what a fully loaded satin looks like...I think if push comes to shove I'll have to go with satin, I just have no idea what a satin loaded looks like, although its a pretty safe bet that it looks more awesome than I can imagine.

11. Rob_Mob

Oct 16, 2013
    Easy --- go with the B.I.G Double Cut --- if you want to further polish it to Satin yourself -- you can, at your leisure. I personally got the standard because I wanted a dedicated workhorse chopper in that size range. I think the Straight Clip will handle a lot like the Scrapyard Regulator Saber grind. Almost the same dimensions -- maybe slightly more blade heavy. Since I already have that covered I went with the standard hammer

12. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    Being a FFG I think the weight will be well distributed compared to a Saber where you have more Pork toward the spine so it should handle well as a straight clip and chop like a Monster:D

DamascusBowie likes this.
  13. Will York

Jan 21, 2000
    yep

14. Rob_Mob

Oct 16, 2013
    I was initially thinking that also, but what made me think this could be a lot like the Regulator is the additional blade height, length, thickness, and thinned tang in Res-C handle that is likely lighter than the Regulator handle . . . Either way though I think it's outstanding and absolutely worth the purchase. If I had extra funds I would certainly pick that one up also.

15. Will York

Jan 21, 2000
    Jerry knows.

Busto and Rob_Mob like this.
  16. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Excellent advice, and the suggested regulator similarities are a big plus too, but I ended up pulling the trigger on satin.

Im not a fan of DC on bigger blades so Id be stripping it right away, and the factory satin is guaranteed mint whereas the DC can have imperfections, I think Im going with the smaller regret over the extra $100 over the larger regret of not going for factory satin.

Rob_Mob likes this.
  17. fromABACUStoPC

fromABACUStoPC

Dec 15, 2009
    Guys which one of the 3 current offerings (CG, DC, and Satin) do you think will sell out first? My bet is on the DC version, Satin probably gonna be the last one to go.

18. Will York

Jan 21, 2000
    Any man who can predict what Busse is going to do is a better man than I.:D

Makes perfect sense to me.:thumbsup:

Rob_Mob and DamascusBowie like this.
  19. Will York

Jan 21, 2000
    Heard from ragnerok. He’s been super busy on the job, but got the HOGB8 notice from Busse and scored!

WAY TO GO RAGSY!!!

20. Stump Buster

Nov 15, 2007
    YAY!!!(insert clapping guy thingy here)