The HOGB8 Thread

Which style for the satin HOGB8?

• Regulator blade and handle shape, with .30+" thickness, but in satin INFI

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Basic blade and handle shape, but with modest swedged clip and massive thickness

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh, man! I love snowshoeing. Our hiking trails in the Mt. Baker National Forest in northern Washington State are snowed in for much of the year--even the Forest Service roads leading to the trailheads are snowed over until late June/July above 4,000'. With snowshoes, you go as far as you can in a 4X4 vehicle on the road, get out, strap on your shoes, and off you go.

You need snowshoes that are designed for the kind of snow/terrain you're traveling over--very important. Our snow here is very dense and wet, and as it melts in the springtime it gets even moreso. We use 22" MSR Denali's, which are basically just a hard rubber web with serrated traction rails bolted to the underside/outside edge. Flotation is great as is traction going up and downhill. I first learned to snowshoe back in the 1990's in Colorado and had no clue about the different kinds and lengths of snowshoes. It was brutal--snowshoeing in deep, unpacked powder like you get in Colorado can be a lot of work even with 30" shoes--I get it. But the Pacific Northwest is a different story in my experience.

Last edited:
Oh, man! I love snowshoeing. Our hiking trails in the Mt. Baker National Forest in northern Washington State are snowed in for much of the year--even the Forest Service roads leading to the trailheads are snowed over until late June/July above 4,000'. With snowshoes, you go as far as you can in a 4X4 vehicle on the road, get out, strap on your shoes, and off you go.

You need snowshoes that are designed for the kind of snow/terrain you're traveling over--very important. Our snow here is very dense and wet, and as it melts in the springtime it gets even moreso. We use 22" MSR Denali's, which are basically just a hard rubber web with serrated traction rails bolted to the underside/outside edge. Flotation is great as is traction going up and downhill. I first learned to snowshoe back in the 1990's in Colorado and had no clue about the different kinds and lengths of snowshoes. It was brutal--snowshoeing in deep, unpacked powder like you get in Colorado can be a lot of work even with 30" shoes--I get it. But the Pacific Northwest is a different story in my experience.
But Why?

Was there an emergency meeting of the HOGB8 Secret Society that Someone forgot to send me an Invitation???!!!:rolleyes::eek::eek:

Really not that big of a GAP when you consider this thread started December 17th 2013....:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back