The coin thread--post pictures of your traditional knives with a coin

It is a one peso coin, minted for circulation in the Philippines, which was a US territory at that time. I usually use this coin for a history quiz, which very very few people pass. I show the reverse with the United States of America, and I show the obverse with One Peso, but while covering the Filipinas at the bottom. No one seems to know why the US would be minting pesos for circulation. I then lead them along...Remember the Maine...then Dewey defeating the Spanish Navy in Manila Bay in 1898.

The first coinage (1903-1906) was larger, but with rising silver prices they soon discovered that the coins were worth more than face value, so the size and composition were reduced starting in 1907. I think these are some of the nicest designs ever done by the US. The obverse was designed by a Filipino. You can find plenty of these on the big auction site. And a fair number have either heavy corrosion or are severely cleaned to remove the corrosion because the entire contents of the Manila mint vault were dumped in Manila Bay at the beginning of WWII to prevent its capture by the Japanese. After the war they were able to salvage most of it.

I thought it would be appropriate to get pictures with a traditional filipino bolo that I bought in Banaue, home of the rice terraces:

[/URL]

I was already aware of the history, but I never saw a coin like that before until now. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Last edited:
BelduquedeNuevaEspantildeareplicaconUnPesodePlata.jpg

Belduque modeled on an 18h century Mexican example, 1966 Mexican one peso.

Zieg

Last edited:
Here's a composition, it's exactly a century ago that Europe descended into insanity in the Great War 1914-18. Some artefacts from the era. 10 Gold Crowns from Austria-Hungary, in those days people used real gold for currency not worthless paper . Knife, J.Nowill&Sons Equal End, pinned shield, totally sunk joints, cut-outs, 4 blades originally, two broken stubs visible, splinter like blade and nail file intact, great W&T, tang stamps are cross keys with a star and letter D, probably ivory, I estimate its age as between 1890-1903, certainly pre WW1. Rifle cartridge, live:eek:

IMG_2394.jpg

Thanks, Will

Here is a traditional Chinese style knife, the shilin cutter pictured with some older Taiwanese currency from the 40s or early 50s. Taiwan is the only place where you can find a few makers who still make a quality traditional Chinese folding knife. The knife though is just a small souvenir/model. The wait time to purchase a shilin cutter is currently 5 years and I haven't been able to find one yet.
IMG_2412_zps80bef729.jpg

IMG_2413_zps43d29326.jpg

Here's a composition, it's exactly a century ago that Europe descended into insanity in the Great War 1914-18. Some artefacts from the era. 10 Gold Crowns from Austria-Hungary, in those days people used real gold for currency not worthless paper . Knife, J.Nowill&Sons Equal End, pinned shield, totally sunk joints, cut-outs, 4 blades originally, two broken stubs visible, splinter like blade and nail file intact, great W&T, tang stamps are cross keys with a star and letter D, probably ivory, I estimate its age as between 1890-1903, certainly pre WW1. Rifle cartridge, live:eek:

Thanks, Will
Sweet knife and coin. Thanks for the background and pictures!

Sweet knife and coin. Thanks for the background and pictures!

Many thanks!

I've been enthusiastic about those Shilin cutters too, they can look fantastic with their leaf-blade, but the cost and waiting list is intolerable. I think Paul Chen of Hanwei did a version some years back at around 100 USD, they make a very decent knife.

Regards, Will

Many thanks!

I've been enthusiastic about those Shilin cutters too, they can look fantastic with their leaf-blade, but the cost and waiting list is intolerable. I think Paul Chen of Hanwei did a version some years back at around 100 USD, they make a very decent knife.

Regards, Will
Yeah, I really want to find one. My father was in Taiwan for a few weeks, but he didn't see any. Another prominent member in a different subforum who lives in Taiwan tried to help me check for any places worth visiting or collectors who would sell it. Only thing is that the collector wanted 2x of what they cost. I think direct from the maker is $130, but they're not accepting orders anymore--at least till they clear up their really long wait list. Some of the variants are gorgeous and the quality is really good too. Another foreign traditional knife I've been really into are le thiers. Though I'm not really sure where to buy them and I don't want to spend a lot of money either. Saw the one in the forums for sale, but I just can't justify spending that money atm.

Gift from Ken aka harronek, a Tina 606 and an Australian coin;

Tina_606_open.jpg

Australian_dollar.jpg~original

G2

Back