The HOGB8 Thread

Which style for the satin HOGB8?

• Regulator blade and handle shape, with .30+" thickness, but in satin INFI

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Basic blade and handle shape, but with modest swedged clip and massive thickness

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My HOGB8 woke up this morning and begged me to strip her....I couldn't say no. Pics another day - too much work happening at the moment. Very smooth, clean finish...but not machined like usual, almost looks DC (don't think it's decarb, but not sure exactly what it is). A couple initial observations:

The DS8 & Basic 8 are comparable in handling. I like the Basic 8's blade profile for outdoor work, but the DS8 is much more comfortable to choke up on. Haven't used the HOGB8 yet, but it's a beast! I am confident in the thickness (in combination of the FFG) excelling at outdoor work...but IMHO, the Choil is actually "worse" than the Basic 8. The thickness, combined with the offset of the choil, makes it awkward in hand and less controllable / quick.

I can't wait to get out in the woods and use the HOG. Seems it will make a great camp knife.

Thanks for your comparison. I think the reason the DS8 is so comfortable to choke up on is no talon hole. I have medium hands and for certain applications I like some of the Kin blades better because of the more compact ergos because of the absence of the talon hole. Just my thoughts, YMMV.

One of the things I was REALLY pushing hard for was a choiless HOG B8 for the exact reasons Izh and Will expressed above. Ultimately the Bossman had final say, but this particular model would have been even better with a ChopHouse ricasso section and elevated Talon Hole (like on the SAR5).

No matter, I’m still STOKED that these are a reality and are now in folks hands!!!

THE most Indestructible Busse Basic EVER!!! Surely destined to be a CLASSIC!!!!

Last edited:
One of the things I was REALLY pushing hard for was a choiless HOG B8 ...
I like the HOGB8, but I would like it even more with no choil or an elf choil like on the B7 above. The edge length on the HOGB8 is only about 1/4" more than the B7, while the overall length is 1" more.

Even with the long clip point, I like the weight of the HOGB8 compared to the B8LE. :)

I like the HOGB8, but I would like it even more with no choil or an elf choil like on the B7 above. The edge length on the HOGB8 is only about 1/4" more than the B7, while the overall length is 1" more.

Even with the long clip point, I like the weight of the HOGB8 compared to the B8LE. :)

I won't get mine until next week, but looking at your pic I must agree. I also like that the ricasso on your B7 is roughly half as long, looks a lot cleaner IMO.

Here's a Feather in Norway!
Snapped a couple of fast ones before it got too dark outside.

comparison shot
7g9SSGu.jpg

in that surplus cordura sheath
72Yfqxs.jpg

in hand
HUtfXEA.jpg

thick
UOb2r6p.jpg

hairy
wngciJo.jpg

Great pics Toad!!! LOVE that blade! Thanks for the different angles—looks like it tapers to a nice point, not too thick?

Thanks for the spine shots...Wow that is a Beast!! Love those black and tans. Congrats guys! :cool:

So it's .35 thick down to about 3.5 inches from the handle. Then my clip point falls to a good sharp tip, for what it is, with half the thickness point being at about .4 inches from the tip. It's no BT6, but I'll leave the tip as is when I strip and convex it.
There's probably about 4.4 inches of straight edge on it, with a nice long, not too obtuse belly.
Definitely one of the better sharpening jobs I got from Wauseon. Also this is the first knife I got without the sharpening/controll sticker so don't really know who to credit.

You're in for a treat guys.

Damn,

Mine has been sitting on the table for a few days now.

Guess I’ll open it tonight. :)

i'm still waiting on a DS8 / HOGB8 compare picture (with spine and side and everything) I want to be sure that I made a good choice to only get a HOGB8 ;) (still stuck in custom)

Back