The ideal pocketknife?

Well, I think I may have found an alternative to the stereotypical pocketknife. It is the GenO Denning model C. Before you all dismiss my claim, let me share a few of the reasons why I find this to be true.

Design – This knife is best described as a very small drop point hunter. A meager 6” overall, it is a small fixed blade. The 2 3/8” blade is of ATS-34 and possesses a deep hollow grind. The handle is very comfortable considering it’s size while the palm swell, dropped butt and small stainless guard all help to give a sense of security regardless of grip. It works well when gripped conventionally with either 3 or 4 fingers although those with larger hands will find 3 fingers as their only option. If added pressure is necessary for cutting or additional control needed at the tip, either a thumb or forefinger being placed on the spine is very well accommodated. In my case, the forefinger easily reaches clear to the tip for superb control and is comfy enough to make you forget you are holding a knife. Perhaps the most pleasant surprise of all was how comfortable the knife is when held edge up. My thumb fits perfectly behind the guard with no discomfort and I find this to be extremely useful in cutting cardboard boxes. As this knife was purchased with the intent on being used for dressing whitetails next fall, these grip options will all prove very useful. All in all, the knife is far more practical and comfortable for every day use than its size would lead you to believe.

Craftsmanship - While I am sure that many of you are familiar with GenO’s work, I will attempt to enlighten those of you who have never handled one of his knives. Quite simply, they are awesome. While the version I have could probably best be described as one of his working grade knives, complete with a satin finished blade and black micarta scales, it is truly an attractive package. Much better than one would have expected in this price range. I will start with the blade. In my limited experience this is the first time I have seen what can best be described as a tri-finished blade. The hollows are indeed satin finished as stated, but the blade spine is mirror finished while the ricasso has what appears to be a fine bead blast (as well as the guard face). Overall I find the contrast striking and appreciate the extra time and effort required to pull this off cleanly. The grinds are as even as one could imagine with the plunge cut possessing the same distinct curves on both sides of the blade. GenO’s etching also deserves mention. When you consider the information contained in an etch (GenO Denning, Caveman Engineering, Gaston, S.C., Y2K-1, 705) occupying the space that is less than ½ the area of a dime, and amazingly legible despite the type size, it is simply amazing. Thumbs up as well for taking the time to number each one individually. While many of you might find it strange, perhaps the most perfectly executed aspect of the entire knife is the guard. It is a mirror polished stainless piece with the exception of the previously mentioned bead blast on the face. The blade/guard joint is beautifully done and is even better integrated because it appears that this area was bead blasted after assembly. As a result, the guard face, joint and ricasso all have the same finish and this improves the overall appearance of this area. What really makes you take notice is the guard/tang joints. This is where GenO’s considerable skill at fit and finish is best witnessed. When viewed from either above or below, one has to look very closely to see the seam. When viewed casually, the knife has the look of an integral. The handle is as beautifully done as the blade and guard. The black micarta slabs are lined with a red spacer along the tang and guard. A nice touch that really adds some color and finishes the knife very well. The micarta fits seamlessly to the tapered tang with no gaps evident anywhere. The tang itself is very well done and appears as straight as can be from guard to butt with no wavering. The slabs are fastened with what appear to be stainless Corby rivets and a stainless thong hole is also provided. The black linen micarta is fully polished and is as nicely finished as any micarta I have seen. There is a strong pattern present and it is symmetrical from side to side. I could not find one scratch or grind mark. Micarta does not get any better than this in it’s polished state.

OK, now that I have bored you with the details of the design and execution, back to my claims of it being a worthy pocketknife. The knife I am using for this comparison is my current carry knife, an EDC from Darrel Ralph. The purpose of this review is not to claim that the C will outperform the EDC in everyday performance. It won’t, plain and simple. 3 ½” of flat ground, recurved 420V will outcut 2 3/8” of hollow ground ATS-34 any day of the week. What I am attempting to evaluate is the feasibility of the Denning (or any small fixed blade) as an alternative to a medium folder for pocket carry when light to medium duty use is expected.

Carrying comfort – I am fortunate in being able to make this judgement during periods of simultaneous carry. The fact is that while being left handed, I have just always learned to carry and use right hand folders. I have never even held a lefty. Fixed blades on the other hand go on my left side. The perfect scenario for my little comparison, EDC clipped to my right front pocket as always, the C in its sheath nestled in my left front pocket. While it may be a little early to tell, I have carried both for the past two days and I honestly do not feel one to be more comfortable than the other, although I am slightly more aware of the C in my left pocket. I firmly believe that this has more to do with the fact that I am not accustomed to a knife in that pocket than anything else. As I am typing, I am not aware of either being in my jeans. They are really more similar than one might think. I carry the Denning with the top of the sheath just under the lip of my pocket. This leaves about 1” of handle exposed and about 5” of sheath in my pocket. This compared to the EDC which rides very deep because of the clip design and hides almost all of its 4 5/8” inside the pocket. The Denning package is also slightly wider, 1 5/8” vs. 1 ½”. There is a considerable difference in thickness however. As is, the Denning is nearly 3 times as thick as the EDC. Strangely, it does not feel that obvious. This is in jeans snug enough to not require a belt. Much of this is due to the belt loop on the sheath and the heavy leather used. I am in the process of designing an in-pocket sheath that would include a pocket clip for retention and reduce thickness by 1/3. A Kydex sheath would reduce thickness even more. I find neither to have an edge in this area. Both carry very well.

Deployment – While the results here appear surprising, when you think about it, it starts to make sense. The C is much easier to draw than the EDC. The C has the advantage of having approx. 1” of handle showing and comes out with a firm pull from its wet formed pouch sheath. The cool thing is that the sheath stays put. The folded over belt loop simply snags on the pocket lip and the sheath does not move. I am also thinking of utilizing the thong hole and attaching a leather braid as this would further help grip the knife. While the EDC is fairly easy to deploy, it takes a slight twist when drawing to prevent the dual thumb stud from catching on the pocket lip and snagging. You also have to open the knife once it clears the pocket. As mentioned, this is no contest, the C easily wins.

Replacement – The advantages so clearly shown by the C in deployment, are reversed when it comes time to put the knife away. It takes two hands, as one is needed to hold the sheath in place. As mentioned before, I am designing a sheath that incorporates a pocket clip which would solve this problem. A slight flaring of the sheath throat may also be necessary to provide easier access when sheathing. As it stands, the folder is much easier to put away and can be done without looking (not advisable with the fixed blade
biggrin.gif
).

The Sheeple factor – While I really hate to bring this point up, as much as we dislike it, it is a fact of modern society. While the EDC is very presentable in its tasteful multi-color anodizing, the fact is that opening 8” of recurved folder tends to make the public look twice. While I get many comments on how attractive it is, these are also usually followed by “why do you need such a big knife” or something along those lines. The C on the other hand, causes no reaction from people other than surprise that it is a fixed blade and not a folder in my pocket (and none of those “is that a fixed blade in your pocket or are you just happy to see me” jokes either
biggrin.gif
). It is a very classy looking little knife to which people can relate, it is about the same size as a paring knife. No fear here and another easy win for the C.

Value – a very subjective category for sure, but one that I feel is important. The reason someone usually chooses to go the custom folder route is that it brings a world of options in design and materials not usually found in production pieces as well as an increase in craftsmanship and the level of fit and finish. This is where the Denning really blows away a custom folder. One would be fortunate to find the level of finish equal to the Denning at three times the price. I have seen many $400-$500 dollar folders from well known makers not come close to this level of detail.

I will end this long-winded affair with the realization that a small fixed blade for daily pocket carry may not be for everyone, but I also believe that many more people may find this type of arrangement more than satisfactory if given the chance. Have I found a replacement for my MT’s, Sebenzas and custom folders? No. Have I found an alternative to these knives? Yes, I believe I have. In fact, I ordered another one this morning
biggrin.gif

Back