The knife gods smiled upon me

910 Stryker M2HSSR

Gold Member
I got it in my head all of a sudden to go look for some carbon steel kitchen knives at thrift stores. 2nd store I walked into I found these 3 forgecraft beauties just waiting to come home with me. Bought them for $15 and I'm guessing the store owner thought they were junk. If you'd care to post a pic of your carbon steel kitchen knives I'd love to see them.

20181015-001202.jpg

Re: If you'd care to post a pic of your carbon steel kitchen knives I'd love to see them.

As I spend less time in the woods and more time in the kitchen, my focus has shifted a bit to kitchen knives. I enjoy my carbon blades a lot for the quiet preparations. If time is scarce, I will prefer the stainless ones. Here is one of my favourite carbon steel set (the three fair handled (white oak) are made by Tojiro, Hitachi white (shirogami) steel sandwich with 62 HRC core. The dark handled one (chestnut) is a blank and handle I bought separately, assembled and polished). From top to bottom : Gyuto (9"1/2), Gyuto (7"1/12), Santoku (6"3/4), Petty (4"3/4). They are very light, perfectly balanced and easy to get razor sharp (very thin blades !). During food prep it's recommended to wipe the blade on a moist towel after cutting. After preparation, I wash them with hot water and soap, dry them immediately and often rub them with a drop of oil. That's standard care for all carbon blades, IMO. At the slightest sign of red, brown or even yellow oxydation, they get polished clean with a rust eraser (solid or liquid). Blue discoloration of the steel is accepted. That's my standard because I prefer them clean and shiny...

4S59LxW.jpg

Last edited:
I got it in my head all of a sudden to go look for some carbon steel kitchen knives at thrift stores. 2nd store I walked into I found these 3 forgecraft beauties just waiting to come home with me. Bought them for $15 and I'm guessing the store owner thought they were junk. If you'd care to post a pic of your carbon steel kitchen knives I'd love to see them.

You can't beat the classics ! I love these american butcher knives.

Back