The (un)Official SDFK Thread

Nathan, in addition to the above, will options like satin, ghetto grind, and stone wash be available for upgrade?
Thank you.
idunno. There won't be a pre-order and there's only 100 of the signature line so it's not going to be a large pool with a lot of variation.

Just wondering what the thinking was behind removing the finger choil on the SDFK, in comparison to the HDFK, particularly given the longer blade. Although I suppose that it's always easier for owners to add their own finger choil than to take it away.

It's a tip heavy knife, there's no way around that. The HDFK is supremely well balanced, the SDFK is going to be a little less neutral in the hand. I left the butt solid on the signature series so the effect on balance from skeletonizing is pretty minimal, it's mostly just weight reduction, but I may swedge those to remove weight from the tip once I have some finished and can see what I think. The blade shape itself isn't inherently tip heavy but the blade is almost 7" and it's 1/4" stock. But it won't feel like a turd in the hand, I wouldn't do that.

This is a great example of a knife that would not be improved with a tapered tang. You sometimes see people put that feature on everything...

These are still a ways off. The K18 and production for our special customer for the UF has pushed the SDFK back a bit. I won't be beveling these for a little while still.

Take your time please 😁 Gives me time to think how many I wanna try to hoard away lol 🤣😳

An iconic meme which bolsters every nerd's chances with Victoria's Secrets type talent pool, specially if that nerd happens to have made billion$ in tech but I digress...

With only 100 SDFKs the only chance for the slower fogies and the middle of the pack types, like me, is if Nathan offers them in batches of at least 25. If he does them at 10 per sale, I may have a fighting chance toward the end but that's still quite iffy. I better start groveling to Jo. I wonder if Sadie or Ziggy need anything from Amazon? 🤣

An iconic meme which bolsters every nerd's chances with Victoria's Secrets type talent pool, specially if that nerd happens to have made billion$ in tech but I digress...

With only 100 SDFKs the only chance for the slower fogies and the middle of the pack types, like me, is if Nathan offers them in batches of at least 25. If he does them at 10 per sale, I may have a fighting chance toward the end but that's still quite iffy. I better start groveling to Jo. I wonder if Sadie or Ziggy need anything from Amazon? 🤣
If he only offers them in batches of 10, I'd likely wind up with ZERO out of 10 tries, and some folks would have 5 or 6.

50 per shot and I might have a chance.

If he only offers them in batches of 10, I'd likely wind up with ZERO out of 10 tries, and some folks would have 5 or 6.

50 per shot and I might have a chance.

Yeah I get that. We'll do a few big sales with limits rather than dribble them out like that.

Yeah I’m excited about this one. Seems like it’s going to be an indestructible beast that will still cut! And if the comment Nathan dropped earlier about HDFK scales fitting it’s going to have a superlative handle.
Some of the quotes I found and input above relate some of the details that Nathan plans on incorporating to make sure the balance is right.

"I'll narrow the primary grinds a tad, bump the spine up to a full 1/4", add a little length to the blade and put some weight in the end of the tang to keep the balance on the guard."

(Regarding Signature version) "The primary grinds would be thinned a little and get an S grind before tumble and it would get the weight reduction features such as a swedge at the tip and skeletonizing in the tang and be more carefully balanced, though probably not quite as brilliant as the HDFK. It would also get the big chamfers and jimping that have become characteristic for our knives."

Sounds like Nathan still plans to impart his typical wizardry to ensure that the balance is where it needs to be at. A swedge would look pretty smart on these, especially in the absence of a fuller.

In all frankness, I think I will need one of each version - for science, of course.

Back