The Sages

I EDC a Sage 1. I love everything about it. I also have a PM2, and while I love the one-handed close, it just doesn't see the pocket time my Sage 1 does. Part of that is probably because my Sage 1 is a little more gentlemanly, while my blackout PM2 is more utility.

But I currently live in 2 cities. And having to check a bag to fly with a knife isn't an awesome option. So I want something I love as much as my Sage 1 for one city while I carry the original 1 in the other. Yes, I could just get another Sage 1, but where the fun in that?

I've handled a Sage 2, and I like it. Not sure if I love it like the 1. I've never held a Sage 3, but I'm drawn to that bolt action. I can one-handed close that pretty easily, right? Can someone make this easy for me and just convince me to get a Sage 3? And alternatively, does someone have a problem with the 3? It doesn't seem to enjoy the popularity that the 1 & 2 do.

Thanks!

Get the 3, you seem to have your mind set in that direction. Why go against it?

I personally, won't ever have a 3, even thought I love the Sage blade shape and handle design. I just don't like the axis lock. Why I don't like it has nothing to do with how well the lock works, but about how I have to tuck the pommel area into the palm of the hand then let it go and use two fingers to actuate the lock. I just feel like I'm gonna drop the knife mid close, ya know? I think it's just me, because I've never seen anyone else have a confidence problem with the axis locks like I do.

I wish the S3 had some texturing at the point where it tucks into your palm when closing. When closing, it does feel like it slips a little bit. The Mini grip has texturing in this very location, and it helps.

I've handled the 1, own the 2 and have gifted a CF 3 to my Brother-in-law. Two things that surprised me about the 3 was 1) how different the closed handled profile is from the 2. It takes up noticeably/significantly more pocket real estate than the 2 IMO. And, 2) I didn't care for the mechanism, primarily the shape and feel of the 'buttons/pegs/studs'...I just didn't find them very comfortable. Also, brand new out of the box, lock actuation of my B-in-law's didn't provide the type of feedback I'd like...that could totally be just a break-in issue. Food for thought. I do admit I'm nit-picking.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd still purchase the 2 for myself. Its the slimmest of the line, the fit and finish of my example is simply phenomenal and the titanium handles are a blank canvas for embellishment.

I love my Sage 2... The ti gives it a very solid feeling, and I like the open back for easy cleaning. The lock has been superb, and lockup hasn't moved since I got it 18 months ago. The ti scales are very resilient, and remain without scratches after all these months of regular carry.

(I have read one or two reports about rust problems on the internals of the Sage 3)

20150704_131546-small_zpsugmt7nhi.jpg

I just don't like the axis lock

The Sage 3 doesn't have an AXIS lock, it has a Collins bolt action lock. Similar, but different.

I have not owned either, so this is merely rumor and supposition, but I've read a review and seen a couple forum posts that indicate the bolt action lock may be more prone to fouling than some other locking mechanisms.

Have owned both the 2 and 3. Traded the 2, kicked myself, 3 was a gift from wife so it stays. If I could only have one it would be the 2. But that being said the 3 is a great knife for little duty work. Mine doesn't see a lot of pocket time because of the traction or lack thereof it provides. It is however the smoothest knife I own, and very comfortable in hand.

The Sage 3 doesn't have an AXIS lock, it has a Collins bolt action lock. Similar, but different.

I have not owned either, so this is merely rumor and supposition, but I've read a review and seen a couple forum posts that indicate the bolt action lock may be more prone to fouling than some other locking mechanisms.

Yes I misspoke. Fine, a Collins bolt action. Yes, the internals are different, but the activation method is exactly the same as an axis lock, which is the part I have a problem with.

I own the sage 3. I highly recommend it. Once that lock breaks in it is a nice one finger close. It is very stiff though prior to break in. The action on the knife is buttery smooth. The sage 3 is my main EDC while i'm not at work. It is a great looking knife and the lock really seals the deal for me. The 2 is also appealing but with being left handed I doubt I'll ever get one.

Yes I misspoke. Fine, a Collins bolt action. Yes, the internals are different, but the activation method is exactly the same as an axis lock, which is the part I have a problem with.

What? The Axis lock is a transverse bar that needs to be drawn back on both ends to prevent binding. The Bolt Action lock is an axial bar that can be drawn back from one side or the other. The original only had a button on one side, the Sage iteration has buttons on both sides so it can be operated from either side. You don't need to shift the knife around and pull back on both sides with your thumb and fingertip, just use your thumb on one side.

What? The Axis lock is a transverse bar that needs to be drawn back on both ends to prevent binding. The Bolt Action lock is an axial bar that can be drawn back from one side or the other. The original only had a button on one side, the Sage iteration has buttons on both sides so it can be operated from either side. You don't need to shift the knife around and pull back on both sides with your thumb and fingertip, just use your thumb on one side.

Hmmm I never realized this about the axis lock. I have never owned a benchmade. Good to know though. One more reason to love the sage 3!

One thing about the bolt action lock on the sage 3, it makes the knife WIDER in the pocket. Might be favorable if you have large hands. I only really noticed it when you hold the 3 and a 1 or 2 side by side, then the difference is evident. If you are not worried about that, then the Sage 3 I had (blue G10) was great, super solid, and amazingly smooth. Personally I liked the blue G10, and that's what I would look for if I wanted another.

You don't HAVE to use both sides of the Axis bar to unlock it. I have plenty of axis lock Benchmades and all of them can be operated with just my thumb without any binding. On my old sage 3 I needed two fingers because the spring was a little strong to be operated with one finger, so there's that too.

I've had multiples of these great knives, although never a Sage 1.
The Sage 3 also did come in a blue G10 which you either loved or hated. I see it yet occasionally for sale on the Exchange.
The Sage 3 in CF is a very excellent folder, IMO.
All of that said, my favorite is the Sage 2, as I LOVE the feel of the titanium slabs... I keep one of them NIB just to fondle. Also is my favorite folder of three inches or less.

I have a Sage 1 and 2, love them both. Size, comfort, and "gentlemanly" looks (as opposed to the PM2, which I agree is more utility) make them a perfect carry for me.

Which is better? Hard to say. They're both awesome. Since you already have the 1, I would go with the 2.

I don't have a Sage 3 because I have also read that its internal mechanism is more prone to fouling / jamming. Might want to research that.

This thread needs more pics!

The Sage 1 and 2 are my favorites to carry. They are almost identical in size and the locks function very similar, and are easy to open and close one-handed. Since you already have a Sage 1 you might want to try the Sage 2, I'm sure you'll like it.

The Sage 3 is the smoothest opening knife in my collection but it does have a fairly week detent. The lock was very stiff at first but it did break in with a little use. I do find it to be a little bigger in pocket than the 1 and 2 which does effect the amount of carry time that this one gets.

The Sage 4 is another good choice if you don't mind a back lock.

Ok, it seems the original intent of my very first post was lost in you guys clarifying the mechanics of the bolt action and axis locks. What you guys failed to actually take away from that very first post was that I (me) have trouble with those style locks and just mentioned it as something for the OP to consider. I'm sure I'm not the only person on the planet that has difficulty with the bolt action and axis.

Thanks for the technical education nonetheless.

Last edited:
I have never held a Sage before. How does it compare to a Domino? Although the OP might not prefer it because it is a frame lock like the S2.

Very nice pics!

I have considered the 2. I like frame locks just as much as I like liner locks.

Back