The tackier modern knives get, the more I love CRK

My opinion only:

Looking at all the blinged-out mokutai-timascus-damasteel-integral bodied-sculpted-clip nightmares from Blade 2018, and across the internet in general, sure makes me re-evaluate, and truly appreciate the no-nonsense Sebenza 21. For sure, there are some over-the-top CRKs out there, but even the most adorned CRK is still understated compared to what seems to be coming out of people’s garages these days.

The age of homespun CNC lathes, CAD-based art knives, and exotic materials cannot make up for one missing ingredient: taste......that is what CRK has that so few others possess......taste.

My opinion only:

Looking at all the blinged-out mokutai-timascus-damasteel-integral bodied-sculpted-clip nightmares from Blade 2018, and across the internet in general, sure makes me re-evaluate, and truly appreciate the no-nonsense Sebenza 21. For sure, there are some over-the-top CRKs out there, but even the most adorned CRK is still understated compared to what seems to be coming out of people’s garages these days.

The age of homespun CNC lathes, CAD-based art knives, and exotic materials cannot make up for one missing ingredient: taste......that is what CRK has that so few others possess......taste.

Yes they really do make some of the nicest most understatedly beautiful knives ever designed.

I feel the same
As time goes I have the feeling manufacturers only focus on the same construction: super steels, titanium framelock flippers on ball bearings with some CF...
Designs are cool but I would like to have more options with washers and manual opening.

I am spoiled with these premium-like offering. It is somehow "soulless" to me.
I prefer knives that are tools and built with a purpose.

Sebenza 21, Inkosi and some spydercos do the job for me and my small collection is slimming down as I get rid of ZT and benchmade that are too complicated for what I need my knives for.

I think this often. Even with CRK alone. I saved and looked and waited to get my hands on a small mammoth 21, and finally did a while back. I told myself I would never baby it and had full intentions on carrying it literally every day/all day for years. As I've done with many many knives before that. And after hundreds of 'honeymoon' periods with different grail worthy knives what do I have on my hip today? My plain jane beat to hell large sebenza 21. I buy knives. Always have always will. But I'm pretty sure at this point I have in my possession the absolute perfect knife. And honestly, ill probably never find one better. 15281051790551355445140.jpg

I had 3 CRK at one point (I know, a rather modest "collection"... Bush league. Not even that really) and because my overall knife collection is pretty meager and my budget only comes from selling something to make room for more, I sold them off.

This year I've reacquired an insingo Inkosi, and now a drop point Umnumzaan. With these two I do believe my collection is complete. They are my absolute favorite knives!

Here, here. The market is flooded with similar looking, colorful, ugly, mass produced (cough cough CHINA) folding knives. For some, all sizzle but no steak. For me, no sizzle and no steak. Sebenzas, inkosis, etc. are timeless.

...and hear, hear...

Last edited:
Here, here. The market is flooded with similar looking, colorful, ugly, mass produced (cough cough CHINA) folding knives. For some, all sizzle but no steak. For me, no sizzle and no steak. Sebenzas, inkosis, etc. are timeless.

The higher end Chinese manufacturers definitely seem to over design knives imho.

I find that some of the things mentioned here are the same way some folks feel about CRK. It used to kinda bother me, but not any more. As different manufactures are trying to gain more attention, CRK doesn't participate in that dog and pony show.
It's always fun to watch how most things come full circle, because it's a circus during the cycle. I remember back in the 70's when the big ass ugly sun glasses were in style. And now they're back. I laugh every time I see some hipster or fashion dork wearing them.
CRK just keeps making sensible, reliable knives that work. That's what keeps my interest in them. I honestly don't know what I'd do if they started re-inventing the wheel again. It would be a sad day in all of knifedom if it ever happens. :(
With my first plain jane, I didn't get it at all. Then, as I used the knife and experienced the overall quality, I got it and that ugly plain jane was something I admired and enjoyed using. Some CRK's may not be the most attractive looking knives, but damn, they're sweet knives.
None of the other knives I own acquire the personality that a CRK takes on during it's service.

My opinion only:

Manufacturers always show their most colorful knives at shows. Those get the most press coverage. The vast majority of folders on the market are conservative and understated. Benchmade and Spyderco are the two most popular brands on this site. Most of their folders are conservative. Outside of my 3 CRK's, I own 3 ZT's a Lionsteel and Fox, a few Kershaws and assorted others. All are relatively understated.

Good points for sure. I still feel there is a general trend away from the "knife is a tool" concept even further towards "pocket-jewelry". I also feel that a lot of the colourful knives don't show a lot of taste, even if there are supposed to attract attention.

An aside: I work a bit on yachts in my job as an electrician. The new artsy knives I am speaking of are more akin to the yachts owned by the newly rich that want to show off their wealth, but don't have a lot of taste. There's lots of cheesy LED lighting, mountains of electronic gizmos and screens, carved glass accents, gaudy fountains, and gold plated yibber-yabber....uhhgggg. The CRK knives are more like the "old money" yachts. On these yachts money is spent on a nice teak deck, high quality running gear, and a beautiful hull.

Good points for sure. I still feel there is a general trend away from the "knife is a tool" concept even further towards "pocket-jewelry". I also feel that a lot of the colourful knives don't show a lot of taste, even if there are supposed to attract attention.

An aside: I work a bit on yachts in my job as an electrician. The new artsy knives I am speaking of are more akin to the yachts owned by the newly rich that want to show off their wealth, but don't have a lot of taste. There's lots of cheesy LED lighting, mountains of electronic gizmos and screens, carved glass accents, gaudy fountains, and gold plated yibber-yabber....uhhgggg. The CRK knives are more like the "old money" yachts. On these yachts money is spent on a nice teak deck, high quality running gear, and a beautiful hull.
Basically. .. the old yachts don't have assisted flippers. I'm RIGHT here with ya brother ha

I can't remember where, but I read a quote once that went something like, "Perfection is achieved not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away." That describes a CRK.

I can't remember where, but I read a quote once that went something like, "Perfection is achieved not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away." That describes a CRK.
Doesn’t this agree with something that Sal abides by/believes strongly in? Sebenza is my excalibur.

All men should carry one

Yep. There’s a lot to appreciate about a CRK that it isn’t and is.

Back