1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

This polished blade is killing me!

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Mike Large, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    So my plain large and small 21's are off in Idaho being engraved. I have been carrying my large spalted beech in my sheath, and small bocote on other days until my plain Jane's are back. I must say the polished blades on these things are killing me with the smudges and fingerprints. I have always carried my plain for edc so I guess if never noticed this horrific problem haha. And horrific it is My friends! Have they ever made any inlays (besides micarta) with stonewashed blades? Because im amazed I don't hear about this much more often.... maybe im washing my hands with the wrong hand soap... who knows

2. photoman12001

photoman12001 Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2008
    I find it annoying too, enough so that I sold all my polished bladed CRKs. I did get a small Classic with wood inlays recently for a few reasons:
    • Inlay Classics don't seem to come up for sale often
    • I'm a sucker for Classics
    • The price was good
    The only other non-micarta inlay Sebenzas with stonewashed blades that I'm aware of are the Insingo carbon fibers. This one I like a lot. For some reason I don't mind the polished scales. The drop point version has a polished blade though (sold my large). I think the Inkosi with carbon fiber inlays has a stonewashed blade.

Also, CRK will not replace a polished blade with a stonewashed one on inlay knives or any drop point blade with an Insingo blade. I called and asked last week.

It's not super obvious in this photo but the Insingo blade is completely stonewashed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Thin-Slice and Mike Large like this.
  3. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Thanks for the imput! Love all your videos by the way. Yeah im keeping my two polished because they were my first two and still very very much enjoy them but here on out I can't see myself getting any more. Not that they aren't amazing its just a real burdon getting a bit excited when someone asks what kind of knife do i have in my sheath and I pull it out only to show what seems to be an extremely dirty blade. This shouldn't bother me,... but yeah

4. photoman12001

May 23, 2008
    Thanks, I have plans to do so many more videos but just can't find the time right now. There's a lot of time and effort that goes into that.

Mike Large likes this.
  5. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I ordered my small Classic MM African Blackwood with a stonewashed blade. It was my 1st and since I had planed to make it a user it seemed a good choice. I don't know if they will still do it or not. It's the only one I have seen, but that doesn't mean there aren't others-just that I haven't seen them.

6. photoman12001

May 23, 2008
    Would love to see it. Based on my conversation with them last week my guess is they would not do that now. They told me they would not install a stonewashed blade on mine since they don't come from the factory in that configuration. I think I also asked about doing it to my large drop point carbon fiber inlay before I sold it. If I did they declined or I'd have had it done. I kind of regret selling that one.

7. Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    IMG_0049.JPG

photoman12001 and 4mer_FMF like this.
  8. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I just unboxed my first wood inlay earlier this week, a small spalted beech. What a beautiful, perfectly executed knife! (I've been fighting the urge post a love letter about it ;)).

IMG_2123.JPG

I agree about the fingerprints, but there is definately a 'wow' facor with the polished blade. I may be hallucinating, but the stonewash on the flats looks lighter and more polished than my other CRK's, even when side-by-side (optical allusion?). Regardless, IMO a light "high polish" stonewash over the whole balde would be great for muting smudges, but still keep the 'zing' alive.

kidcongo likes this.
  9. Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    ^^^
    May just be an optical illusion caused by the contrast between the polished and stonewashed, but I know what you mean.

10. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I love the polished blades and wouldn't have bought a stonewashed one..."don't own no ugly knife." :)

kidcongo likes this.
  11. James Longstreet

James Longstreet Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2014
    For me it is just perfect that CRK offers the less "delicate" stonewashed blade with the more "working knife" category Sebenza and the polished blade for the more "dressed" category Sebenza.

As photoman12001 correctly says, the Blade HQ exclusive w. cf inlays and insingo blade comes w. stonewashed blade:

[​IMG]21, Insingo Carbon Fiber Inlays, 08

12. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    This is gunna sound dumb but, 21 vs Classoc, what's the difference?

13. photoman12001

May 23, 2008

4mer_FMF likes this.