Time for new kitchen knives...advice please

Hi Guys,

I've never been that happy with my Wusthof kitchen knives that I've had for 15 years. I think the blades are too thick. They don't seem to cut very well even when fairly sharp.

I'd like a good replacement. Something with a good steel. That will take the abuse of my wife (cutting on the granite counter, dishwasher, etc)... Be easy for her to sharpen with a cheap V style sharpener and hold up to the dishwasher. Basically, excellent knives for a fair price. I don't have a budget...and willing to pay for quality but not interested in the super high end stuff because my wife and kids will not appreciate them or care for them like I would. Hell, I'd be happy with Victorinox knives if they would be the best option. Or, I'd go for something Japanese for French. I'm all ears. Thanks, Dave

Here's a sample of what I have:

8" blade
7pw0ez7vjuJ2zTTJMttjUDwYv9ziA0IbHVoIErJxmeGnY_EcFuhRjsNkvqZJEv_9ehgP4zG6YA9YOSRaGVJmTzf-lxB-Imvdcrhw2xZ2CQjpOWWQ9IahCqbRvfzGEUYHTo_2tQi9nses_jRC_n_BH1gYH3rjRay1eKNZ_plLksWgLZcen71Izb87jXPQYvCTqC96tmW1fyjOx4GrQQQZgmvL-ah9zWC1uGPlU7moK5U2R1Y2mFLmD55_G3vfXcWDOTiAuFU4ELLsMy04wcoeuC3zYOpNQK-38Q_CUPn9PT3ag9yLL2ToEBDTUKxLGecyX5KYO-jylsXLR-h54u697KKWJ52xOXeDcB1YNuMRe7DMe1i5R27aFNdQFZoGXV1FZ-jprMfLWRzqIXZ90iQCGmGftGViARZPVf2nZ5uGEDlH45egk9syNTHvfm50mRBHm0f5McxoZEY_SthrpfbeylbaNw1R0Usbhs0Darn9-DpU1xAJsHhBcmEuC8EL905pbYw6GZVyW-ntOKKczXrschH6Gvl2Vcg5ayCVK5KZU5o-E8aDl37upLWaJQdq-6BGxOFA4JmEWe0vRA--TGlAtq6QDSjH8Pt8tK1OLLDgQGM8XqL7dEWLj-Gbw5Oed1X_N-jzTcLc6r5ip0GuceyQiF_G=w1200-h351-no

4mm wide or about 3/16"
iCcgSCbKuRT7I7TWbGut0pZnNNujP9H0KFPgGSvTym-PYzCK64oRd2jXhu_mCsvtsxuKXLu3Qbx-c1gSUwLYqjoIMRXXVdrCLq_cAlvx1-ZAAaBpqfNtYWwC31vAVjRhGd1keN_HNN_m-QJAgezLA1V_t3JhzziyBmlylxV5XXQKb3xYAQCa3RK3-oZSpMh3LMhk7F9gck5IAmwDglh1lkXwB0xnGfWbHLiT3bncW5zyFiWy7G-tzYZgyF139fl2Vrw9Rjo9yJ1ql0tW3Tu4aiJDGhRbdgXRR2NC3jBb8kF8pXOnrU3eNczjOpZgrBC9gS6lK-7F3N1z4hvigaMCiixcZp4dwlbCjnBikpvLClzX3Vq67l2qB0RrzzL-xA0xvXF8fmUDM1cFsJKabZYeqei2GxWCQBv2NcuHUviBafXOmws5j7k13QvjfBjS79twoCH6CgsVheBbnf0bIjYPygPDVpUPn7quSadM2FOZP6VBQYAj5V5YftFwunYh8t7rbedmgYbJYOxvLiOfbRS0FTvJ_6a5ZzT6VdNJpGDX16z_o1kbgE-PetoyC9uA26EvnHIrczVXdwR2SePHMkmStbLnzfQSr7hMwdNcvV7YhKu6Xs2f_E4O3SSkg0LYzWGsWWg6m5M_-qCpTzFY8r-q4ACJ=w900-h1200-no

28x7LQyJlYyc9pOheJG5CtwbUqjyP1xdJTgR1QKQ4DmODOhc44hJBl73MPc8N77B5Ad2jM4GQ-JvrLlJfMIHdC34ioMdqOGkg4hlsfuj-HnzunY64GekPzRgbYhIpcKG6WKtxuTCMDtb1ZRQB7kKdg9WZG76iLg_41ybWQzZcY6sOk2S3kqIEuw7QgEB8gCAo8BTiyPZHOM4pUPmVT4c9FXJfgO3Fxdgcoh_bBJCFBBSQGyRDUrz7mrE_UJd1MfccMxtdSvVw5SljAX1rXEwEjEDgh0Bh7A_rAhTQRlufWYM-ylnSG7kU4rTUeVYZo0VqKyBy0llEHHh3jdSr6C7JMkmdRUIl4qMF4hbR0Qeric9gWMmxLw0eN7iwtnYUJ_q2Ij3mio4QZRb4kFrjNMpqiq6cDiJF-9OupfJO53WvQ4frQzSRCq5seEyJvzzT2XaFR7U_Gm62yhhLEJ4oYzxhCXC9wKD7b0uQGz4qv6GODfVmBpkD6QtrGDsFwl2sJllDV3JsstANLMhEGXxmEo9X9ihKV39X3e0WMRenm1mVn2vV_hk8y-KRoC3mYwXyi2tLcIv56fkl0RjUYMX--FUpPCAomXutoKv_0VuAhV0au8OgdhH_4iF9M6vuiBpgH_dZEpvXP99g2d8tLcQvmiG9W5l=w900-h393-no

I'd like a good replacement. Something with a good steel. That will take the abuse of my wife (cutting on the granite counter, dishwasher, etc)... Be easy for her to sharpen with a cheap V style sharpener and hold up to the dishwasher.
:eek:

Buy a 10-inch Wustof Classic 4582/26. The geometry is completely different being scaled from the same stock. I keep mine very sharp.

Otherwise, look at Shun, or the Kramer Zwilling line, or a multitude of Japanese blades. They are very thin slicers. Not as durable through misuse though.

Buy a 10-inch Wustof Classic 4582/26. The geometry is completely different being scaled from the same stock. I keep mine very sharp.

Otherwise, look at Shun, or the Kramer Zwilling line, or a multitude of Japanese blades. They are very thin slicers. Not as durable through misuse though.
By that ^ he means use a cutting board. ;)

Besides that, 4mm blade stock is normal for all manner of knives from folders to fixed blades.

For the kind of beating you're talking about I definitely wouldn't spend a lot. A granite countertop will dull anything regardless of quality or steel.

Actually, your mention of Victorinox is probably a very good solution. Vic makes a Fibrox line that are totally serviceable and pretty affordable. My fiancée won't touch my good chef knife, so I got her a more affordable Vic Fibrox model (she doesn't really know how to cook, but is learning) and she loves it.

Hi Guys,

Right....been married 25 years and some things ain't gonna change. Just to clarify that she usually uses a cutting board but I do cringe when she starts cutting on the granite.

At any rate, I do want a thinner steel. For comparison, the knife that my chefs seem to like is the Shun Classic. It's blade stock is 2mm vs 4mm of the Wustof. I believe the 8" Victornox Fibrox is 2.4mm. These knives are not being used to pry so there's no reason to have the super thick steel. I do have one of the 10" Classic Wustof's and I keep that one for myself. Even when sharp I have not been impressed when thinly slicing a bunch of flank steak. Maybe it's not the right tool for slicing big slabs of charred flank steak... But, I have gotten some blisters from that knife...

Anybody try a kitchen knife from David Ponson in France? Price seems right, and he's got a very good reputation in France for his custom and semi custom knives.
https://www.couteaux-ponson.com/219-couteau-a-decouper-couteau-a-decouper-ideal20.html

Thanks,
Dave

It looks like you already have a good candidate for a knife that will be used to cut on granite and be washed in the dishwasher.

It may be thick at the spine over the heel of the knife, but it looks like there is distal taper and it thins out as you go towards the tip? Are you sure it's sharpened well before use? No floppy burr that makes it seem sharp for one cut then goes dull?

Yea, I probably do. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone since nobody is complaining.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Dave

Actually, your mention of Victorinox is probably a very good solution. Vic makes a Fibrox line that are totally serviceable and pretty affordable. My fiancée won't touch my good chef knife, so I got her a more affordable Vic Fibrox model (she doesn't really know how to cook, but is learning) and she loves it.

This, Vic’s Fibrox line or Dexter’s Cascade or Sani Safe lines.

KR

A lot of pro's use Victorinex for general work and when travelling around.
Wusthof Classic. Thin blade. is as good as any Jap blade in non pro hands.
with security of knowing you can abuse quite a bit and it'll take it.
Tojiro DP, make a decent abusable line with good work ability. as long as you keep away from granite.
I use Bamboo end grain boards.
Wife has Tojiro 150mm Petty. 170mm Santoku.
with my 10in H/Duty Butchers blade for pumpkin.Cabbage, etc.
ME.
My Wusthof, ground down with 12ish deg angles. With Japanese 64 layer Damascus
6in Petty. 170 Santoku, and 165 Nakiri. Plus that meatworks blade for home invaders.
MY hands only. NOT kept in kitchen thank you.
ANY Good name VG-10 blade mfg, with the proper heat treatment. will do any pro and non pro for general work with minimal complaints. A lot do use it.

Get a set of diamond plates and a ceramic steel.
Sharpening is 90% of the authority of a good blade. SHARP.
Probably the most important after blade selection.
I've used stones for 50+ Yrs.
Nowadays. ME.
Sharpener maybe twice/thrice a yr. and lots of 600 grit Diamond
and a ceramic steel work. they last forever.
LOOK up sharpening on You tube.

If you want some cheaper knives for the Mrs. to beat up try Rada cutlery.
US Made, decent SS blades, take a good edge & if you get the Black handled version dishwasher safe.
You could get a chefs, bread, carver ,& utility for around $100.00 & let Her hack away.

My wife just got me a Wusthof classic set for my birthday. Very sharp and slicing nicely. If you let kitchen knives go too long they can be a bear to get sharp again. I used the bread knife to slice the Turkey with and it worked great. Do need to get a carving knife.

I'm in the exact same boat actually. Wife keeps bugging me for new kitchen knives and then gets mad at me when I tell her it's pointless because she'll just destroy them in less than a week the way she treats knives. I think I'll give the Victorinox knives a go. maybe just start with a pairing knife or 2, chefs knife and the santoku they make. I was also looking at the Opinel kitchen knives as I really like how their folding knives sharpen up and I'm sure it's the same steel used for both? I like the feel of wood handles much more than plastic too but my wife will run them through the dishwasher no matter how much I protest so the wood probably isn't the best idea.

Back