TNT cuttin test

OK.....( for those that don't know, this is an integral lock folder made by Tom Mayo)

I finally did it....decided to do some real cutting and slicing with my XLG TNT recurve that Tom sold me several weeks ago....This was another lunch time test, but I didn't cut myself this time
smile.gif

In front of me was a fence line.. with 6 X 6" pressure treated posts. I started by shaving and whittling the corners and edges, just rounding em off. After about 5 min of this , decided to get serious..got some gloves on and startyed really bearing down and using it like a draw knife with good grip on handle and other hand guiding the blade tip.( be careful!) went at it for about 30 minutes. I don't know how many cuts and shaves and slices I made, but I was sweating pretty good when I stopped. I tried to not twist the blade or pry with it when it went deep, but, I still managed to do that a couple time also..In fact twice, I stopped to take a look at blade thinking I had chipped it...NOPE
biggrin.gif
..Tom puts a nice bevel on edge of blade...when I was done with the wood..it would still shave hair on my arm...not as easily as before I started, as I had to push it alittle , but, it would still take hair off..pretty impressive I thought..I then tried some 1/4" yellow nylon rope..didn't do as well...only made a couple cuts, then seemed to stop...looked like rope was actually melting on to blade edge as I tried to cut with it...would still shave with a push on my arm though??? So back at home I sharpened it up again..DMT stones extra fine and a crock stick..
cut up three large cardboard boxes that had held TV sets..made about 60 to 70 large cuts and it would still shave hair..better than after the wood test..touched it up again and tried some 1/4' and 3/16' yellow rope.made several cuts this time ..(about 40 ) where you make a loop with rope in hand and pull blade through it..shaved after this also...so it will cut rope..just not the best for this kind of cutting...my BG 42 blade on another knife did better on rope..

So in conclusion..I think the talonite did pretty well over all,,,I don't think its the best for rope, but should handle most cutting chores well...Even Tom on his web site recomends the BG 42 or ATS 34 for better all around cutting ability I think..( is that right Tom?)

I want to also add this thing is still ROCK SOLID..absoloutly no blade wobble yet..action is still super smooth and continues to impress me when ever I flip it open..which is often...
The Talonite blade held up very well..I know this wasn't a super tuff test..but it wore me out
cool.gif
.................hoping to get another one of these fine blades from him in Eugene OR. next month...c ya there!!

------------------
as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another....Pr.27:17
David Buhrer

[This message has been edited by kawanin (edited 03-29-2001).]

I am working on getting your next one gold plated as I write this!!
smile.gif
(thanks!)
I try!!
I have had mine for over a year, use it daily, and have only sharpened it four times, although I do occasionally hit it one the buffer, especially when it has tape on the edge.

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com
John 1:14
Love is Stronger than Death!

What the heck is a TNT???

Sounds like some kind of bomb to me... You guys shouldn't be playing with that stuff... I'm going to tell the principle!!!
biggrin.gif

tnt-teasing n' tittalating![while you are waiting to get one
smile.gif
].

tnt-tough n' tenacious![after you get one and see what it will do
biggrin.gif
].

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

------------------

russ aka bladezealot
a cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.
cats: the other white meat[courtesy of VG]

TNT....some kind of bomb??
smile.gif
....kind of like C4 is I guess......

TNT...Tom kNows Talonite

TNT...Tuff 'N' Tight..(oh oh gettin kinky now
biggrin.gif
..)

TNT...Takes No Time...(whoops, he takes ALOT of time makin these, right C4??? ...are u still waiting?)

TNT...Titanium 'N' Talonite...(almost forgot that one!)

Very good Mr Anderson!!!!!
biggrin.gif
...lets see now...hmmmm??!! OK

TNT....Talented 'N' Terriffic ( this one gets me a "solid gold" TNT
wink.gif
...)

TNT....Tom's 'N' Town..(spoken when he arrives in Eugene)

and finally..from me anyway
smile.gif

TNT...Trustworthy 'N' Truthful..( this one may be a stretch
biggrin.gif
...)

back one more time....forgot I wanted to add, I cut some rope at work today....used my TNT
cool.gif

TNT-Totally Nefarious Tom
cool.gif

TNT-Totally gNarly Tom

------------------

russ aka bladezealot

[This message has been edited by bladezealot (edited 03-31-2001).]

well, underdogizhere just sold a sweet mayo to kwaiken56, i guess he'll be posting his impressions here shortly
smile.gif
[to keep this thread going]!

------------------

russ aka bladezealot

did lose a screw!i've been told i had one loose
smile.gif
thanks to your generosity, sir, that will be remedied shortly
biggrin.gif

------------------

russ aka bladezealot

the promise of getting a screw, and getting screwed are two entirely different things!!
smile.gif

tongue.gif

Back