Todd Begg Knives lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo2

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbD4L5DlZpT/

A message from Todd Begg.
It is very important to me that my customers always have a clear understanding when it comes to the
value that I place on my name, my reputation, and the quality of my products. For over thirty years,
customers have trusted the quality and craftsmanship of a knife bearing my stamp. In order to preserve
that trust, I have been forced to take the serious and well-considered step to file suit against Mark
Skaggs, Mattia Borrani, and PIMP LLC in California Federal Court to ensure that Begg knife enthusiast
and collectors worldwide can continue to buy a Todd Begg Knife with confidence.
I no longer make knives, or provide knife designs to PIMP LLC, which does business under the
fictitious name “Todd Begg Knives.” I do not endorse or consent to PIMP, LLC, Mark Skaggs, or
Mattia Borrani’s use of my name, persona, or designs.
The products currently being produced by Mark Skaggs, Mattia Borrani, and PIMP LLC under my name
are being produced without my consent, endorsement or permission. Please contact me at Toddbeggusa@gmail.com if you have any questions or concerns about the genuineness of products you
have purchased.
The litigation unfortunately prevents me from discussing the particular details of the case, but you are
free to see the lawsuit here: CASE: 3:17-cv-06436 California Federal Court, Northern District.
I will continue to be true to my passion and love of knife making. I am eager to regain control of my name and
reputation, and get back to work.
I apologize to those whose orders have been delayed. Please know that I am working as quickly as I can
to get the orders out to you.
Thank you for your attention, support and most of all, your understanding. I pray for a swift and
amicable end to this unfortunate and unnecessary situation.
I am always happy to address any of my customers’ product questions or concerns, or if you want to
inquire about how to obtain genuine Todd Begg Knife. Please feel free to contact me at this emailaddress(Toddbeggusa@gmail.com)

http://knifenews.com/todd-begg-files-suit-against-todd-begg-knives-trademark-holder/

On Friday, Custom maker Todd Begg sued Pride In Making Products (PIMP) LLC., the company currently behind the Todd Begg Knives brand, as well as company co-owners Mattia Borrani and Mark Skaggs, Todd’s brother. Among other remedies, the suit aims to regain the use of the name “Todd Begg Knives” for Begg’s custom work, prevent his existing designs from being produced without his permission, and cause the dissolution of the company.

Begg and his partners founded PIMP LLC. in 2012. It’s the company behind the Steelcraft series, as well as a custom shop for Todd Begg designs made by other trained craftsmen. According to the complaint, Begg signed on as a 1/3 owner of the company, but his role has been “limited to the manufacturing of knives, training and overseeing knife-making employees, as well as the Company’s utilization of the goodwill associated with his name and reputation.”

The suit alleges that in January 2017, the Company stopped making payments to Todd Begg which prompted Begg’s move to [Dallas] Texas. A month later when Begg attempted to recover $200,000 of knife making equipment from the company’s California headquarters, “Defendants refused access … threatened to call law enforcement, and thereafter changed the locks to the doors of the Company’s premises.”

Begg says that the company won’t provide him access to the company’s books and records which “he is entitled to inspect.”

A trademark registration for the name “Todd Begg Knives” was filed by PIMP and granted in 2015. However, the complaint says that the Begg consented to the trademark only in certain circumstances. “While Plaintiff [Begg] participated in the Company, Plaintiff allowed the Defendants to operate under the fictitious business name ‘Todd Begg Knives’ solely so that Plaintiff could maintain control over the use of his name and the quality of the products sold by the Company.”

It goes on to allege that the trademark filing had consequences for Begg that his partners deliberately hid. “Acquiring Plaintiff’s consent to the trademark would secure the right to prevent Plaintiff from using his name in conjunction with the sale of knives. … Defendants fraudulently procured Plaintiff’s consent to the registration of the trademark.” It maintains that this lead to “confusion in the marketplace by producing products bearing Plaintiff’s name and identity that are not produced by, endorsed by, or affiliated with Plaintiff. … The Company’s trademark registration of TODD BEGG KNIVES is invalid and should be cancelled.”

The suit also seeks to prevent PIMP’s commercial use of Begg’s designs since his withdrawal of their permission to do so on June 4th (the final day of Blade Show 2017). According to the complaint, after June 4th and “without Plaintiffs consent or knowledge, the Plaintiff is informed and believes, and based thereon alleges, that Defendants entered into agreements with third parties, under which these third parties will produce knives based on Plaintiffs knife designs and design elements.”

The lawsuit also reveals that in August the parties attended a mediation in Sonoma County, California with Begg picking up the expenses. “Although defendants Skaggs and Borrani purportedly told the Company attorney that they would agree to the “basic terms” of Plaintiffs mediation agreement, Defendants refused to sign the mediation agreement.”

Sounds like someone wanted take backsie's on a deal for other manufacturers to use his designs for production models. I take it this is why the WE glimpse variants are 1-2 months late already.

Always two sides to every case.

TB's knives never held any allure for me and in particular I find the Bodega downright ugly but thats just me and as I never owned a TB knife I have no horse in that race.

Interesting to read 'Chesshiresteven's' comments to the insta post though.

This is much worse than a subcontractor making overruns and selling them without permission (ex: Walter Brend). He consented to a TM being filed by a third party that bears his namesake. Not a smart move... which I'm sure he realizes now without me pointing that out.

Shady Trademark biz. I'm all to familiar with this. It's a hell of a mess to clean up. Lots of court time coming up I'd imagine. Lawyers love this stuff. Geeez

Interesting to read 'Chesshiresteven's' comments to the insta post though.
Indeed two sides. Read the knife news post after reading chesshires comments.

In any case, it's ongoing and we won't find out all the details. Either way it sucks.

Sad story. I don't have any siblings, but stories like this would certainly make me hesitate to partner with them if I did. Hopefully they'll be able to get this resolved without too much fuss.

Another reason why I refuse to get "big" with the knifemaker thing.

I don't really follow Begg Knives as they offer next to zero attributes that interest me. What I will say is that coming on the scene with a seemingly instant price of $600 for basically a toy with an edge then taking the bait of a reality TV show, moving on to outsource knives to China at a price tag of $400, then raising the prices of the in-house stuff to a minimum of $1K??? Ummm... Todd Begg Knives was/is part of a serious problem that can't sustain much longer. Good riddance.

Idk, I kinda wanted to try the Steelcraft Kwaiken.

This explains why I have been confused by where Begg knives are coming from. So the higher end designs were being made by PIMP, and the more "midtech" models by Reate and soon to be WE?

Todd Begg doesn't manufacture any knives himself? He just designs them?

Idk, I kinda wanted to try the Steelcraft Kwaiken.

This explains why I have been confused by where Begg knives are coming from. So the higher end designs were being made by PIMP, and the more "midtech" models by Reate and soon to be WE?

Todd Begg doesn't manufacture any knives himself? He just designs them?

Todd Begg himself is still making full on customs, and then "Todd Begg Knives" (the company he, his brother, and the other defendant started) made the "midtech" models like the Field Grade Bodega, the Beggatti, etc. At somepoint "PIMP LLC" (how did three grown men intentionally choose that name?) partnered with Reate to produce some of the Steelcraft models, and PIMP also partnered with WE to produce the Steelcraft Glimpse.

Here is the full text of the complaint if anyone is interested in reading it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MZflPo_KEWiu1voU6-zEEZsrLxrqlWPl

To me, the most surprising part of this is that I was totally expecting the community to come out supporting Todd Begg and only Todd, since he's a titan in the custom knife world. It doesn't appear to be happening that way.

I'm eagerly waiting for the bubble(s) to burst.

more-popcorn.gif

I know we live in an age of legal sophistication but I think it's shit that anyone could sell something with another person's name on it against their will regardless of past involvement or any agreement. It's shit when it happens to Chris Reeve or Todd Begg or anyone else. A person's name should always be their own trademark. Always.

You may own their design but you shouldn't be able to claim someone's name.

I have two Begg Steelcraft knives (I can't afford the mid-techs and full customs) and confess I haven't taken the time to read the full text of both sides of the complaint...and I don't care to.

I've always been treated well by Todd Begg Knives and have great respect for the design and ingenuity of his knives.

Without reading a word, my sympathies lie with Todd Begg, and I think you all should feel the same. This isn't a Britton vs. Kizer situation, this is a talented designer trying to reclaim his name.

Litigation is always an ugly thing, but if you enjoy excellence and inovation, you have to hope for Todd to win out.

I know my wallet is a drop in the bucket, but if Reate and WE continue to produce Begg designs without a public settlement, I'll be the most vocal critic of every knife they bring to market.

I don't know how any Knife Knut could feel otherwise.

Todd is a friend of mine....I know Mattia and Mark because of Todd.

Todd and I have history, and I fully support him as he tries to reclaim his name, up to and including providing material support should I be asked.

ANYONE who chimed in...."I don't like his knives....blahblahblah, misses the effing point and continues to display what idiots have infiltrated the knife world, well done!

If you are that person, you sucked before, you suck now, and will likely suck in the future.

The point is that tragic consequences can occur when you blindly trust people on their word, even if they are family. People make mistakes.....knifemakers tend to be superb problem solvers when it comes to a technical issue and tend to be horrible business people when it comes to contracts and corporate entity creators....this is why when we started the Custom Knife Collectors Association (CKCA), I advocated that we match up business lawyers with knifemaking groups (ABS and the Knifemaker's Guild for starters)...that hasn't happened...yet.

This has nothing to do with liking a specific product or person, and everything to do with protecting your name and trademark. When you tie your name to your business, and the business gets big, unless you ARE protected, you can lose the right to use your name. Just ask Bill Niman (Niman Ranch), Calvin Klein or Don "Ed" Hardy......or Chris Reeve.

Last edited:
I know we live in an age of legal sophistication but I think it's shit that anyone could sell something with another person's name on it against their will regardless of past involvement or any agreement. It's shit when it happens to Chris Reeve or Todd Begg or anyone else. A person's name should always be their own trademark. Always.

You may own their design but you shouldn't be able to claim someone's name.
Hear Hear!

Todd's work isn't among my favorites, but this is a pretty crummy situation to be in and he has my sympathy in the matter. The knife world is small and close-knit, and I expect that there will be some ripple effects from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back