1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Tradional(-ish) With Pocket Clip

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by thepapercut, Mar 19, 2019.

1. thepapercut

thepapercut

Aug 26, 2017
    I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this but after dabbling in the tradition world for a bit I’m looking to expand out. The problem is so many modern folders just look too tactical for me. Does anyone know of a nice compromise? Specifically looking for a single blade with a pocket clip that is a little more on the classic side.

These Smith Cypress are interesting but are a bit long for my use. Their mudbug was closer to what I’m looking for but no pocket clip and still a little large.
    http://www.smithandsonsknives.com/phone/cypress.html

Anyone have other suggestions? Simple, traditional style design, 3” ish blade length with pocket clip.

Thanks!

2. thepapercut

thepapercut

Aug 26, 2017
  3. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Sorry but we frown on pocket clip discussions in this forum (see our guidelines). I'll move this to General Knife Discussion.
    No harm, no foul though.

thepapercut likes this.
  4. thepapercut

thepapercut

Aug 26, 2017
    I knew I was going to do it wrong. Thanks!

Peregrin likes this.
  5. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Check out a Case Mid-Folding Hunter.
    Traditional enough maybe, with lots of configurations.

specgrade likes this.
  6. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Case makes a folding hunter with a pocket clip in your size range. They also make a regular trapper with a clip and a trapperlock with a clip. Double check the size on the Cypress, the blade is smaller than the Mudbug I believe. You may be looking at overall length instead of blade length.

By the way, these are all nice knives that don’t get the discussion they deserve because it’s hard to fit them in a category on Blade Forums. I think they would garner much more discussion in the traditional section, but they are not allowed due to offending features (clips, studs).

specgrade and thepapercut like this.
  7. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    Al Mar makes a model called the Eagle. It looks the part, but uses a clip. I know they have a couple variations of it.

It’s a bit bigger than I remembered now that I’ve looked. 4” blade.

thepapercut likes this.
  8. Crimson Cloud

Crimson Cloud Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2018
    https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/...d=1567&a=folder&c=wood&s=1&sortType=defaultDe

Here's a link to a Knife Center search for wood handled folders, many with clips. They have the Spyderco Endura and Delica with wood scales, the Buck Vantage Avid, the Boker Plus Exskelibur II, and the MKM Lionsteel Bob Terzuola Clap Flipper, all which don't appear too tactical. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Chris Reeves Mnandi get a nod here either.

thepapercut likes this.
  9. KAEDC

KAEDC Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 25, 2013
    thepapercut likes this.
  10. BJE

BJE

Apr 12, 2006
    How about one of the new buck 110/112 variants with pocket clips?
    They perform well, carry well, have loads of tradition as working class knives, and can now be purchased with pocket clips.

slyraven and thepapercut like this.
  11. Jordan@DLT

[email protected] Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Jul 22, 2014
    I'm pretty partial to JE Made for traditional style patterns with clips. https://www.dlttrading.com/j-e-made
    Not all have clips, as he offers them with and without clips, but we try to make it clear which have clips.

We will be getting more when he gets back to work in April as well.

12. popedandy

popedandy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2006
    I see you already found the A.G. Russells. They are good knives

thepapercut likes this.
  13. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    I like clips, I do not like those large bolsters though

14. ASBOB

ASBOB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Take a ook at the Roper Pecos. It has traditional blade steel as well.

15. ASBOB

ASBOB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I have had to adapt knives as I have limited use of my left hand. Other alterations you can make:

--attach a thumb stud. Various companies sell them.

--on flat knives (eg, Mercator, Douk Douk) you can attach a clip. They are made by NiteIze.

The Zieg likes this.
  16. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    As some have already mentioned, check out the J.E. Made knives at DLT Trading.

Probably the best knife in the realm of what you're looking for would be a CRK Mnandi.

If you can find one, the Isham Bladeworks Blackstar is a great little modern/traditional.
    [​IMG]

Workingsloth777 likes this.
  17. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
  18. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Not exactly traditional, but far away from tactical, I'd recommend the Benchmade Mini or Full sized Crooked River.

[​IMG]

19. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Wow, that blue sunburst in 3v is hot.....cool to see some folders in 3v.

20. Reitwagen

Reitwagen

Mar 2, 2009
    Masserin has some knives that might suit you, or maybe a Buck 112 Slim Pro in micarta or G 10.

Otter Messer is making Mercators with a clip now, but no thumb stud. I assume that is to conform with German law.