Traditional French Fry day

Perhaps you remember this one Gary!!??:) Thanks for the knife and sheath so many years ago!!!:D
View attachment 1211134 View attachment 1211136

I do so remember that and glad to see you remember as well ! and honors go to the Chambriard's for making such a nice knife and also to our mutual friend that had sent it to me and is also the maker of that sheath, @harronek our friend Ken from down under, and yes years and years ago now!
G2

My but we are getting a jump on Friday !

I have my heart set on getting a Chambriard Le Mi-jo but the source no longer deals with them as they are closing up shop and so I probably will not be able to obtain one unless one shows up on the secondary market in the USA :(

- very nice idea, Gary :thumbsup:

Given UK's lead with Sheffield all those years ago, France really is streaks ahead now.

Not only their abundance of classy makers, and the production centred around Laguiole in particular, but the enthusiasm and general attitude of the French towards the sharp and pointy is both admirable and balanced.

Very pretty Gary! and yes I remember that Chambriard Le Compact as well, extremely sharp too !
G2

Friday! Vendredi, Freitag, fredag, perjantai, piyatnitsa.

biFXT42.jpg

I received a traditional French knife for my birthday, which is Sunday, when I will open it. So no pictures till next Friday on this thread, but I did inspect it upon receipt and it is beautiful!

Really looking forward to your thoughts on this Vince! What length did you get? And, do you know if it as a stop pin to prevent blade whacking?

Really looking forward to your thoughts on this Vince! What length did you get? And, do you know if it as a stop pin to prevent blade whacking?
I got the 12cm. Even bigger than my trapper! Don't know about the stop pin because I just did a quick inspection when it came. I won't open it again till my birthday on Sunday. I plan to close it carefully, regardless.

Hi Shawn - it was April 2011 and this was the exact model, I just did a search and found the correspondence I had at the time with Gilles at Fontenille-Pataud

(they can do this in a version that looks the same but doesn't lock)

It's a beauty, Paul!

Hi Shawn - it was April 2011 and this was the exact model, I just did a search and found the correspondence I had at the time with Gilles at Fontenille-Pataud

(they can do this in a version that looks the same but doesn't lock)

Thank you much! As a small knife lover, I was always afraid that the 9cm would be too big, but that looks really good in hand! I know there are 7-7.5cm Laguioles out there, but it seems difficult to find one as ornate as the 9+cm versions.

Thank you much! As a small knife lover, I was always afraid that the 9cm would be too big, but that looks really good in hand! I know there are 7-7.5cm Laguioles out there, but it seems difficult to find one as ornate as the 9+cm versions.

- a pleasure!

Gilles was a very nice guy to deal with too - he probably speaks better English than me ;) Best of luck in your search :thumbsup:

Back