Traditional French Fry day

A worthy addition to the pile. Do you have a picture of all your laguioles together? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see them all at once.

F39DA52D-55EA-46D2-936E-1E63CA2FA7AD.jpeg

Thanks my friend. I had it made custom many years ago,
Works well & sharp, Handy little steak knife if required too😁

I figured as much since the Laguiole de l'Artisan stamp is no more.

Wonderful. I enjoy the seeing the different makers and their guillochage offerings. I also like the variety in cover materials.

It's not a really pretty knife, and it is substantial, at 8" (205mm) overall when open, 4.33" (110mm) closed, weighing 4.1 ounces (116 grams).
But what interested me in this knife was the story of how the 5,000 year old wood was preserved and harvested to make the scales. It is just too unique to not have one. Plus, I like to support a small business like this.

There is one slight drawback, though. Whereas some woods have a pleasant fragrance (juniper, for example) this wood, having spent so many centuries in a peat bog has more of an odor - and it's rather intense.
My son asked me, "Which bog did they get this from, the Bog of Eternal Stench?" (from the film, 'Labyrinth')🤣

But what interested me in this knife was the story of how the 5,000 year old wood was preserved and harvested to make the scales. It is just too unique to not have one. Plus, I like to support a small business like this.

There is one slight drawback, though. Whereas some woods have a pleasant fragrance (juniper, for example) this wood, having spent so many centuries in a peat bog has more of an odor - and it's rather intense.

Thank you for sharing that. I am looking at a laguiole with morta covers. Like you I am very intrigued by the history of the material. Now that I am aware of its malodorous nature, I think I'll pass.

Thank you for sharing that. I am looking at a laguiole with morta covers. Like you I am very intrigued by the history of the material. Now that I am aware of its malodorous nature, I think I'll pass.
Now I feel bad. Perhaps someone can offer a second opinion. I have to admit that I am overly sensitive to smells - some perfumes literally choke me, so maybe you would be fine with the aroma.

Back