Traditional French Fry day

Bring back from Coutellia.

13cm Laguiole, made by Jérôme Latreille. Stainless steel damascene blade with mammoth crust scales.

5CEE73BA-8224-47D1-9BF3-C0A5F282D950.jpeg

2DF14E2C-BC2A-4795-8079-45854DDAE07F.jpeg

57ED6772-BD1A-4E55-B385-3FAF2808BC8B.jpeg

749FD6F6-0241-4FD7-AEE7-2BBF033CA191.jpeg

37BB950F-FA1A-4889-878D-62FF5950E18A.jpeg

DCFEE7E6-7A69-49AD-BEDB-3F4A0EE76B67.jpeg
Amazing piece of cutlery.

Just received this Navette from Thiers Issard’s Grand-père line, and it is a beauty! Horn scales, classic styling, a good size for a pen knife, and it even came with a nice leather slip! I don’t think this will be my last knife from the collection, especially at the great price.
J6OUBYr.jpg

OqqgVUN.jpg

A day late!! :rolleyes:
I just picked this Opinel up today, from an estate - a No.12 -with older markings !! A bit of patina (storage?), but looks unused!!😊View attachment 1848177View attachment 1848178View attachment 1848179

I like those older Opinels. Unfortunately they seem to be like older barlows, exceedingly hard to find in superior condition. As an inexpensive working knife they were used up and thrown out without reservation, with no thought given to future collectibility.

Just received this Navette from Thiers Issard’s Grand-père line, and it is a beauty! Horn scales, classic styling, a good size for a pen knife, and it even came with a nice leather slip! I don’t think this will be my last knife from the collection, especially at the great price.
J6OUBYr.jpg

OqqgVUN.jpg

Nice knife. You do your own darkroom work?

Nice knife. You do your own darkroom work?
Slowly getting into it! I have started off with developing and scanning my own B+W film, and love not having to wait (or pay) for a lab to develop and scan. Every dollar saved is another dollar for film or lenses - or some more of these lovely French knives!

Speaking of, I received a package of Opinels - one stainless #7 to use as a picnic knife, a carbon #7 to ensure balance, and a couple of carbon #6s, as I like to give these away to friends and coworkers to get them into the hobby. Shown here with a 1950s Kodak Retina IIa - my current favorite camera for wandering around and taking pictures due to its compact size.

29j39ap.jpg

Is this what you meant by a companion for the other one? looks like it has a storry to tell and still ready for action.
Yes. I have a thing for metal body knives. From Schrade wirejacks, Case knives, novelties, Douk-Douks and all manner of knives they appeal to me. I'd done a search for knives that deserved to be in the MOMA collection and there was a beautiful stainless Laguiole and that led me to a search for a production model. I found a used one on Ebay and now the wait begins to see if my desires matches a practical reality. This one is aluminum which I assume is because at 11cm closed steel would be too heavy, although there is an 8cm version in all steel but that seemed too small for me.

According to Fontenille Pataud, this pattern is a predecessor to the Laguiole knife.
"Before the development of the Laguiole in the early 19th century, French shepherds carried a knife called the Capuchadou or capujadou."
... I can't find a translation or know what either of those words mean in French(?)
This one is a rather large and rather robust knife. Did I mention large and robust? ... glad they came up with the Laguiole LOL

C4BKUdH.jpg

Back