Trick to improve retention on VTAC w/out modification

Dunner

There was a thread recently on mods and it seemed oriented mostly toward improving handle retention. I took a design que from the new CQC-T and stretched small black plumbing O-rings around the handle of my VTAC and have them center over the finger indentations in the VTAC handle to keep them where I want them. The are very thin and were buggers to get on. I put them on a week and a half ago but didn't want to post anything until I believed they were not going to break. I did some heavy chopping/splitting of some firewood just to test the penetration of the hawk and to measure the improved grip. This VTAC is nasty when splitting. I had underestimated its abilities. The O-ring trick on the handle definitely provided me the slight increase in retention I was looking for. I suppose more time could prove this idea to be flawed but I thought you all could help to prove the point...or not.

Nice idea. Time for a trip to Home Depot. One can never have too many projects.

I wish I had done more hard use testing before starting this thread. I had tested this idea with during some hard use splitting firewood and waited to be sure these O rings could stand up for some time. Today however, I took my VTAC out and really punished it and threw it quite a bit in the backcountry. I lost all of my rings. I still like the idea but need to find more robust O rings to use. If I find a better setup I will be sure to post it. I think the rings I used were too thin and under too much tension to begin with.

You can absolutely use it for any chopping needs. We have people who hunt with them, you can skin out just about anything, use them while camping to split small firewood or cut an expedient shelter. We have one customer who hunts squirrel with it by throwing it at the squirrel. They're also a blast to throw but then I think you need more than one so that you don't have to make so many trips to the target! ;)

Suzanne Settle
Customer Service
American Tomahawk Company
877-557-5200 (Toll-Free)

Back