1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation? Trying to decide between two S30V knives.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Roguer, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Roguer

Roguer

Jan 5, 2015
    I'm trying to decide between two S30V knives. Folders. I selected them because they are Lock Backs.

One is a Gerber Blade Premium blade (I like gut hooks as they have many uses but still deciding.) but the hole in the blade puts me off.

Or a Buck 110 in S30V with its clip point and blade profile, that would make a very nice EDC blade and a good mandatory carry for me on wilderness outings.

I'm pretty old school when it comes to my folders, pretty much ignorant on what more moderately priced S30V steel knives.

I got few Gerbers in 154CM steel, most with gut hooks but one with a drop point. And a few other 420 HC Gerber's and Bucks. Most ride with a few of my bigger blades in and such I got "preposition-ed" in places I go do things. One set of knives had to be resharpened recently, some relative grabbed it from that place and used them much, a note said the knives were a literal life saver. Well that's why I put them there mostly for me and friends and family. Atleast I got them back.

The knife will be used pretty much, and hunting and fishing and such. And EDC probably.

If any one has any other suggestions I'd like to hear. I am only looking at Lock Backs, the only knife locking mechanism that never failed me. Others...amazing I still have all my fingers.

Edicused some minor stuff that got not typed.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. SharpieB

SharpieB Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 31, 2017
    If you don’t mind the size/weight of the 110, I would go that route.

A S30V Buck 110 is a killer knife.

buckfynn, dalefuller and The Zieg like this.
  3. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Can't say you won't like the Gerber but I can say you'll love the Buck. I'm getting a lot of hard use out of my 110 in S30V. I've reviewed it in the Buck subforum.

Zieg

buckfynn likes this.
  4. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I can't say from personal use, but I have heard/read many times that Buck does a very good job with their S30V blades. I might have to try one of their S30V blades someday, see for myself.

buckfynn likes this.
  5. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Love my S30V 110! 87C595B9-D731-4793-8605-3D6E87BC43A5.jpeg

buckfynn and [email protected] like this.
  6. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    You might look at a Spyderco Military instead. Way lighter than the 110 and the liner lock is solid.

7. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    Buck 110 s30v - $79.99
    Military s30v - $219.99

8. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buck for sure. You can get both the 110 & the 112 in S30V if you want a smaller daily carry. The 112 used to be my daily user when I lived in WV. It's very capable, just like its bigger brother. Either one will work for you for years to come.

9. Roguer

Roguer

Jan 5, 2015
    Thanks guys ordered the buck 110 in S30V, since its to be also used also for general carry also, its slimmer than the Gerber. Just for $10 more it was a hard choice but functionality for daily use was the deciding factor, I do have both in other steels so just fiddled with them to see what was better for more general carry use.

ATJ999 and strategy9 like this.
  10. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Congratulations.

11. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    I LOVE my s30v buck 110, (drop point)...

If ever on the lookout for something slimmer and lightweight with a pocket clip, (and back lock), check out the Buck 722 models in s30v or s35v by copper&clad and skblades

12. mongomondo

mongomondo SUPPRESSING FIRE Gold Member

Sep 17, 2006
    The Buck 110 is great despite weighing half a pound. I just leave it in the car. I can use it to cut or I can throw it through the window.

colin.p likes this.
  13. jbmonkey

jbmonkey with special platinum powers Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I use the belt sheath on my 110s.....carry a version every day for work use.

I find its too heavy and big and thick to pocket carry loosely...unless ya got one with a pocket clip. theres a current version out there with a pocket clip and thumb disk for one handed opening. also bone scales.

14. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Buck because the bos heat treatment on the blade.

strategy9 likes this.
  15. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    Military S30V is $175 on the first dealer I checked. OP didn't list a price range either. Just providing an alternative to consider.

colin.p likes this.
  16. Roguer

Roguer

Jan 5, 2015
    Thanks Fang for posting the option, but being an ignorant I am on the world of folding knives, I went with the ones of what knife types I know that never failed me and the price was right. If only I had more money...I some times have to close the browser window when I see nice looking knives...

strategy9 likes this.