1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Turkey carvers

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by dsalazar, Nov 22, 2018.

1. dsalazar

dsalazar Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Happy thanksgiving everyone. Is anyone using something different to carve the turkey. Maybe a special carving set or a big ol chopper.

2. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I don't actual "carve" the turkey any more. I just slice it.

See, in a couple hours, me and a skinny little 6" Whustof utility knife that is all tuned up and ready to go will fully debone and de-tendon a 20lb bird. Then I'll tie it up and voila, beautiful turkey roll with white and dark meat dispersed. Cooks faster and more evenly, stays juicy, and the bulk of the work is done up front so the rest of the day is relaxing.

:)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Dangerously likes this.
  3. dsalazar

Jun 22, 2017
    Those 6 inch utility knives can so some good work.

4. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    Family is heading to a buddy's at noon, gonna meet up when I get off shift at 6:00...tossed the Shiv in my bag just in case his bird puts up a fight;)

[​IMG]

~Chip

Smaug likes this.
  5. Jocephus1

Jocephus1

May 30, 2007
    I use my grandmothers old knife for our Turkey. No idea of the brand. It's probably something bought from sears or Montgomery wards as they were from a very rural area. I just know she got it in the 1920's as a wedding present from her sister. (My Grandmother was born in a farmhouse in 1904 so there's nobody around anymore that might know any more family history).
    Its got a 6 inch blade on it. It's almost a toothpick now from the time it's been resharpened. It's the only knife she owned. I remember her grabbing chickens out of the front yard for supper and using that knife.

Wood handle...so much patina on it now its basically black. Cuts like a lightsaber.

I use my Grandfathers hunting knife for our Christmas ham. That's an old Buck.

Smaug and CableGirl like this.
  6. CableGirl

CableGirl

Aug 19, 2018
    Ok, this girl is about to do a Meg Ryan at dinner scene from When Harry Met sally. What is that knife?

7. WValtakis

WValtakis Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2004
    Carother's (CPK) Shiv :)

CableGirl likes this.
  8. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    My grandfather's carving set. It predates stainless.
    [​IMG]

9. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Turkey slicer and other stuffs...[​IMG]

Dinner's at 7, come on down...

Smaug likes this.
  10. dsalazar

Jun 22, 2017
    @WValtakis that is a nice looking shiv. I have been wanting to get something along the lines.
    Handed down knives or carving sets sound like a gradation. I need to get me a set to always use and hand down.

11. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    My son told me to bring one of my kitchen knives to my brother in laws when we went for Thanksgiving dinner. Good call. I ended up carving two turkeys (brother in law smoked one and baked one). I used a modified Ontario field knife. I thinned the blade to make it a better slicer.

Ric