Turkey carvers

Happy thanksgiving everyone. Is anyone using something different to carve the turkey. Maybe a special carving set or a big ol chopper.

I don't actual "carve" the turkey any more. I just slice it.

See, in a couple hours, me and a skinny little 6" Whustof utility knife that is all tuned up and ready to go will fully debone and de-tendon a 20lb bird. Then I'll tie it up and voila, beautiful turkey roll with white and dark meat dispersed. Cooks faster and more evenly, stays juicy, and the bulk of the work is done up front so the rest of the day is relaxing.

:)

Last edited:
Family is heading to a buddy's at noon, gonna meet up when I get off shift at 6:00...tossed the Shiv in my bag just in case his bird puts up a fight;)

img_20181122_071524-jpg.1024698

~Chip

I use my grandmothers old knife for our Turkey. No idea of the brand. It's probably something bought from sears or Montgomery wards as they were from a very rural area. I just know she got it in the 1920's as a wedding present from her sister. (My Grandmother was born in a farmhouse in 1904 so there's nobody around anymore that might know any more family history).
Its got a 6 inch blade on it. It's almost a toothpick now from the time it's been resharpened. It's the only knife she owned. I remember her grabbing chickens out of the front yard for supper and using that knife.

Wood handle...so much patina on it now its basically black. Cuts like a lightsaber.

I use my Grandfathers hunting knife for our Christmas ham. That's an old Buck.

Family is heading to a buddy's at noon, gonna meet up when I get off shift at 6:00...tossed the Shiv in my bag just in case his bird puts up a fight;)

img_20181122_071524-jpg.1024698

~Chip

Ok, this girl is about to do a Meg Ryan at dinner scene from When Harry Met sally. What is that knife?

WValtakis WValtakis that is a nice looking shiv. I have been wanting to get something along the lines.
Handed down knives or carving sets sound like a gradation. I need to get me a set to always use and hand down.

My son told me to bring one of my kitchen knives to my brother in laws when we went for Thanksgiving dinner. Good call. I ended up carving two turkeys (brother in law smoked one and baked one). I used a modified Ontario field knife. I thinned the blade to make it a better slicer.

Ric

Back