two new rats nests

idahoskunk

Gold Member
thanks mike! they fit the knives great! just the ticket for a couple of homeless rats:cool: :D :D :D
i don't know what they came coated with but i added this,
howling sheath has a coat of pitchblend waterproofing
and tramp sheath got a coat of lexol conditioner, both darkened
slightly. now to age them gracefully:cool:

ratsheaths.jpg

Hey Skunk -- gotta admit your pics beat the Rat S#$% out of my poor scans. Glad your nestlings like their new homes!:D Ruana sells some stuff called Montana Pitchblend that I've heard is really good. I use my own mix of Obenaufs oil and beeswax, but only 2 or 3 coats (not dipped), so I'd recommend to anyone that they do just what you did. I've not heard good things about Lexol --some say it can break down leather fibers over time, but I don't use it so can't say. But pitchblend -- yeh buddy!! It kind of mellows out elk blood stains, and wattle bush tar too (hear that Gundy). Sure wish I could convince more guys that natural leather is the way to go rather than black -- just finished Raden's black P-Back -- MESSY !! And just looks ,well, like LEATHER !!
Wear them well my friend,
MTMike:) :)

I got my Howler a sheath from Mike, and he did a GREAT job. I'll try to get some pics up. It is the messy :cool: black.
How is that for waterproofing?
Thanks again Mike!

montana pitch blend is what i used, lexol is very good as it is vegetable based and won't eat leather like some petroleum oil will. the saddle makers out here swear by lexol. i think to much of anything is bad and you only need enough to keep the surface supple.

my vote is with the pitch blend.

moo...MOOOOOOOOO!

ps: i rub it on cold and use a hairdryer to melt it in while rubbing it in. gives a more even coat imho.

more MOOOOOOOOO!

and 1WB's, if you drank more milk you too could be at least three inches!

Idaho,
Those look great. :D

Mike does a great job.

Mike,
Black just looks really good with the black handles though ;):D

eric, you should be receiving the knives any day now to put the new desert tan respierian handles on them.:cool:

cool pics as usual skunky....

now there is a thought Eric, what about pink Rc for the pink club?:D

...and 'advantage' camo Rc...woohoo! I would have me some of those..

Bravado,
Mike me a Howler Sheath in Black, you might be able to twist his arm into making another ;):D

Here's a pic of mine. :D

....aaaaarggghhh!!! Eric, Bravado, let gooooo!! You can pull my leg, but don't twist my arm !:D
Dark brown also works, but no chocolat drop,
MtMike:)

Back