UK Penknife: A Hole in one!

The brown truck just dropped off my UK Penknife.

Calypso Jr lovers prepare to have many sleepless nights until you can source one from the UK. 2 7/8" blade of S30V. Calypso Jr. style handle in G10. Thick fore-to-aft stainless steel backspacer. Low-profile wire clip, tip-up ambidextrous. Small, light, and solid.

The blade profile is a little different from the Calypso Jr, maybe a half step bewteen that and a Paramilitary blade.

The slipjoint has 20# of resistance to closing which surprised me. It feels locked when carrying out light cutting tasks, but you can still close it one handed (but only by sweeping it). I don't know how most slipjoints work but here it seems that the backspacer itself is the slipjoint mechanism. Very simple mechanically.

All in all very sweet. Looking forward to EDC, to see how it works out in the real world.

Clay, I think you need one of these.

Carlos,
Sounds very cool. Can't wait to locate one. You're going to get all the BBers drooling even more :)
Chris

Here is something Sal just recently posted on British Blades:

On the list of "special features", I think the most important is that this model is a "hybrid" or "synthesis" between high tech materials coupled to high performance design, and the conventional "slip joint".

The backspring design alone is high tech. the form had to hold the knife open with more force than conventional slip joints (in the interest of safety), the pronounced finger choil is located and sized to stop the knife blade on the forefinger without cutting the finger (again, in the interest of safety), material selection and hardness had to overcome the very high abrasion of the vanadium carbides in the S30V. In cycle testing early prototypes, we found the S30V abraded away the backspring, even when polished.

The deep pocket dark wire clip is also a first.

I hadn't mentioned the "dark" wire clip, which is kind of a bronze colour.

Carlos said:
The slipjoint has 20# of resistance to closing which surprised me. It feels locked when carrying out light cutting tasks, but you can still close it one handed (but only by sweeping it).

Hi Carlos.
Thanks for the post.

What do you mean by "sweeping" it to close ?
Another quick question. How easy is it to open ? Comparable to opening a Pride ?

Many thanks :D

yog said:
Hi Carlos.
Thanks for the post.

What do you mean by "sweeping" it to close ?
Another quick question. How easy is it to open ? Comparable to opening a Pride ?

Many thanks :D

Sweeping, is a technique often used with lockbacks. It means you press the spine side of the blade against your leg and sweep it closed. The resistance due to the slipjoint means you mave to press harder though.

There is some resistance to opening, probably like a strong lockback like the Manix. Pretty unlikely to open accidentally in the pocket. Sal could probably give you a hard # for the opening resistance. I haven't handled a Pride in too long a time to compare.

http://www.ted.tweakdsl.nl/penknife.jpg

Carlos said:
Sweeping, is a technique often used with lockbacks. It means you press the spine side of the blade against your leg and sweep it closed. The resistance due to the slipjoint means you mave to press harder though.

There is some resistance to opening, probably like a strong lockback like the Manix. Pretty unlikely to open accidentally in the pocket. Sal could probably give you a hard # for the opening resistance. I haven't handled a Pride in too long a time to compare.

Thanks Calos.
Ah, got you. Although being the akward sod I am, I better use two hands to close it, to avoid stabbing my own leg :D

If it opens ANYTHING like a stiff lockback I will be more than please :D :D

Learned a better way to close this one one-handed: Just push against the back of the hump with your thumb until the joint slips and the blade is pressing down against your forefinger in the choil (hey, the choil-safety works!). Move all fingers out of the way then close the rest of the way with your thumb.

And rickn54's pic from the other forum:

uk.JPG

I really need one of these...how do I get hold of one please?

thanks.... :)

Carlos said:
Learned a better way to close this one one-handed: Just push against the back of the hump with your thumb until the joint slips and the blade is pressing down against your forefinger in the choil (hey, the choil-safety works!). Move all fingers out of the way then close the rest of the way with your thumb.

Cool :)
I was hoping it would be close'able this way, as it's how I close my Pride, which works quite well.

Back