Umnumzaan Lockup

I know this has been covered before to some extent, but I was having trouble finding good images to compare. Today I received a brand new Umnum from an authorized dealer and it looks like pretty late lockup compared to my Inkosi. Looks like the ball only has about .050" to go before it touches the other side. Can I get a couple of quick opinions before my return period expires?

Thanks,

Umnum1.jpg

Umnum2.jpg

Last edited:
My 25 looked like that. My zaan is a little earlier. You can't judge the lockup on the ceramic ball models by the scales. See if you can see where the ball itself lines up. You can also check the blade and see how far over the groove the ball cuts is. That should be your lockup %. From here it looks ok but it's hard to tell without the knife in my hand.

Edit: I didn't see all the photos come through.

Last edited:
Appreciate the replies... I did some more searching, but with Google this time and was able to turn up more images and a decent amount show similar lock bar travel. I did see some in the 50-60% range, though. Think I'm gonna keep it... I really hate exchanging things. I would have preferred to buy locally so I could see what I'm getting, but the only place within a reasonable driving distance didn't have a Tanto.

Looks about like mine does. I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy that great knife.

You can buy from KnivesShipFree next time, and just put a comment and ask them to pick one out for you. I recently just asked them to pick out a Large Sebenza for me to my liking.

I may be mistaken but I think CRK says 40% to 70% lockup. If so .05 left on a.125 blade thickness should be well within the tolerance.

Back