Umnumzaan question

Howdy all,

It's been awhile since I have kept up on CRK news and new knives. However, always loved the Umnumzaan and evened owned one years and years back. As CRK has introduced new models, have they also slightly altered or "improved" their designs over the last recent years and specifically the Umnumzaan similar to what Spyderco does with some of their models (ie: Native 5, Delica 4, Stretch 2 etc.) If one were to purchase a new Umnumzaan today in March of 2019, would it match the exact same dimensions as one purchased 5 months after they debuted?

For those who have tried the Tanto version of the Umnumzaan, is there any real practical EDC applications this version has over the drop point?

The pivot is the biggest difference between new and older Zaan’s. Aesthetically, I prefer the older pivot even though they require a tool to adjust and assemble. The new pivot standardizes the knife to the rest of the line and streamlines to tools needed to work on it.

I own a Tanto Zaan and while I like it, it’s more challenging to sharpen and doesn’t offer any added functionality other than looking cool and ninja cred.

10/10 would buy again though.

Howdy all,

It's been awhile since I have kept up on CRK news and new knives. However, always loved the Umnumzaan and evened owned one years and years back. As CRK has introduced new models, have they also slightly altered or "improved" their designs over the last recent years and specifically the Umnumzaan similar to what Spyderco does with some of their models (ie: Native 5, Delica 4, Stretch 2 etc.) If one were to purchase a new Umnumzaan today in March of 2019, would it match the exact same dimensions as one purchased 5 months after they debuted?

For those who have tried the Tanto version of the Umnumzaan, is there any real practical EDC applications this version has over the drop point?

Tantos are great knives if you like them. I would try one out on a cheaper knife first though.

Personally i think Tantos are great edc knives for around the city because despite what many people say they are great working knives for my purposes. If you think of it as a kiridashi on the end of a wharncliffe then you might understand the utility use of of a tanto. Plus the secondary point is excellent for “xacto knife” type cuts where a paper or something is laying ontop of a flat surface you can cut into abit like wood or cardboard.

However the tanto Zaan doesn’t come with the double spine scallop that the regular Zaan does and that double scallop is friggin’ sexy.

I ended up removing my clip. It really was giving me a hot spot. Too close to the edge. I’m happy to carry it in a leather case. It is super comfortable without the clip. It is my smoothest, easiest opening knife, over a Sebenza and Inkosi.

This vid is kinda interesting.

I’m nor sure exactly when they added an overtravel stop, but someone will chime in.

I ended up removing my clip. It really was giving me a hot spot. Too close to the edge. I’m happy to carry it in a leather case. It is super comfortable without the clip. It is my smoothest, easiest opening knife, over a Sebenza and Inkosi.

I agree. Since I need to carry it clipped 99% of time it's kind of a big drawback for me owning that knife.

I have no hot spot issues. I feel the Zaan is designed for my hand though.

Back