Under $600?

Hey all,

Like the title states, I am looking for help in finding my next blade under $600.00. Unfortunately I live in a rural location so I can't get my hands on anything other than your typical Spyderco/Benchmade/ZT yada yada yada.

So To give a bit of guidance on my preferences...I already own a a couple CRK's and have or do have your average under $200 popular options. I am relatively new to the "Mid-Tech" world and that is why I am here. I generally tend to prefer somewhat smaller blades. It seems that some of my favorites are right about the 3" range and under, but I do feel fine going up to 3.5". I like all sorts of deployment styles and fits so please, throw out anything that you might think I should at least consider! Thanks for all the help!

Regards,
Jim

Personally... If I had $500 or $600 burning a hole in my pocket I'd be giving a long hard look at the offerings from Hinderer and Olamic Cutlery.

For under $200 I'd check out the Massdrop/Laconico Keen collaboration.

Personally... If I had $500 or $600 burning a hole in my pocket I'd be giving a long hard look at the offerings from Hinderer and Olamic Cutlery.
Yeah, those two are in my top 5 at the moment...I was wondering if there are some other really interesting options that I was not aware of. Thanks for validating my initial interests though! lol

You can get some of the nicer Reates for that price. Or the nicer CRK's.
I've personally been pretty interested in some of the Todd Begg stuff lately. Out of my current range, but worth looking at.

Reactions: Mo2
I've got an olamic arriving in the mail tomorrow. As much as I am looking forward to it, I think some of their cost is driven by the 1-off customization. I hope the the fit and functional quality is up there, too.

If you can get your hands on Spydercos, BMs and ZTs any time and you already have a couple CRKs, it’s definitely time for an Olamic. I did that exact evolution in the second half of last year and my experience was that the Olamic 247 was the right “next step” choice for me. It also moved me into an enduring love of flippers. A PJ Olamic 247 will only be ~$400 and you can get a medium-fancy one for $600. The customizing possibilities are fantastic. See their website for hours of fantasy quality knife pix study.

On another note, if you might be tempted to go beyond the $600 level for something distinctively new/different/unique/fancy, Olamic is about to release limited quantities of their 247, Swish and Busker models with Damasteel blades. Those will be beyond any $600, but they’ll be collector quality pieces in a different league. Owing to the small numbers they’ll be releasing, it’d probably be best to deal directly with Olamic if you’re interested. The few that make it to online vendors will disappear with surprising speed. See the Olamic website for details. All that being said, I wouldn’t recommend one of those if you’re looking for something to hack up cardboard boxes with and beat up on.

Happy shopping!

Would you consider a slip joint?

There are some nice customs you can get in that price range. And right here in the exchange.

Last edited:
With that kind of money you should be able to find some one that makes custom stuff and have something made just for you. There are many great makers on here. I am not one of them. But I assure you they are here. Lol

Having a custom made folder where you pick the steel and design and handle ect would be something of a family heirloom after you pass lol

You have so many great options.

You've gotten a lot of great feedback so far. I would add Hoback in the running if any of his models speak to you. They're very high quality and well made.

The new generation of Hinderers have fixed the only issues preventing the previous generations from being great knives. So they're definitely worth considering.

Olamic is another great option. Excellent quality and incredibly customizable. Beyond the product, however, is the owner. I've spoken to Eugene in the past and he was very responsive and informative. Really a great exchange. Their numerous options and jargon can make ordering a little daunting, it really made the difference. Couldn't have asked for a better CS experience. It's likely you'll speak to him if you choose this route. You'll see what I mean.

Some models of Shirogorovs are within reach. Koenig's Arius would also be a top contender if it speaks to you.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Last edited:
I'm going to follow this. I am interested in the same price range to take my collection up a notch. My requirements are at least 3.5" and no flipper.

I have a lot of knives from inexpensive to some i'm embarrassed to tell normal people what they cost lol. The one that I really like to carry is the Benchmade Anthem. Its a perfect size for the pocket and comfortable in hand. I know QC can be a problem but mine came perfect. Fun to play with too lol.

Holt blade works.
Koenig.
Brown knives.
Cox workshop.
Shirogorov.
@Bailey Knives (a custom maker on this forum) https://www.youtube.com/user/mlwbailey

You should seek out some of these. You will like any one of them alot for around 5-600
Some of them are had on Instagram, the forum exchange, or there websites. You can also look up some knife shows in your area and see if you can check some customs out in person from makers and pick one you like.

At that price range I would second some of the other recommendations of looking into custom/hand made/Small batch CNC stuff with hand finished products from makers.

It will surprise no one who frequents this forum, I would highly recommend a Full Ti Gen 2 Hinderer Half Track Spanto. I carry one every day and the size range you are looking at, it fits perfect. The full ti on these is just the bomb. The fit and finish are perfect, and for its size it is has the biggest feel in the hand of any sub 3" knife I have ever had in my presence.

Second and only other one on my suggestion list is the Koenig Mini Goblin. While it will not fill up the hand the same as the Half Track, it is an impressive sub 3" knife and unreal smooth for a smaller knife.

For $500-600, and you already have the Sebenza itch scratched, and if not looking at flippers, I would personally be looking at the Aftican Knife makers guild for options...

Last edited:
Back