United Cutlery Bowie...?

Seems to me that, "way back when", United Cutlery offered a relatively decent inexpensive Bowie called a V-44 or similar...had some kind of synthetic handle, as I recall. I've been considering a Bowie for the getaway kit that I keep in my personal vehicle, and have tried without success to locate one of these Uniteds...the kind phone lady at one of the major knife outlets even informed me that she had handled United for many years and had never heard of such a product...

Am I barking up a wrong tree?:confused: Any info would be greatly appreciated, and y'all have have a good day!:)

Could it have been a Western model W-49 9" wood slab Bowie perhaps?

n2s

Hi Town Sergeant,

The V-44 is a misnomer for the Collins No. 18 Bowie knife, probably one of the best military issue knives of the 2oth century:).

Aside from the antique originals, I can think of these versions still in production:

1) The Case Bowie, this one is close to their WWII production.

2) The Ontario Spec-Plus Raider Bowie. This one has a Kraton handle, carbon steel blade, and I believe, a sharpened clip:).

3) As N2S mentioned, the Western W-49(the W-47 has a seeven inch blade).These are made by Camillus now. The older Western models made use of the excellent CV steel(Chrome Vanadium). The new ones are 440A, I believe. The guard is a bit clunky though. It's a great knife:).

4) Various Indian, Pakistan, etc.... copies. They copied almost all of these models. Quality ranged from O.K. to :barf:.

I've never seen a United copy of this type of knife, if they made one. Their George Lainhart designed S.E.A.L. short machete was excellent though:).

HTH:D:).

n2s and Bob Bowie,

Thanks for the info! I'm familiar with most of the mentioned Bowies and it's not the one that I'm thinking of. I thought that I saw one in a SMK or Atlanta Cutlery catalog at the time, and seems like some of the knife players around in those days (late 80's - early 90's) used to talk about it. Probably some sort of imported knock-off from Bowie Bob's #4 group...:rolleyes: :barf: I'll keep an eye out at the local gun shows, I've seen new and barely used Westerns show up pretty frequently at decent prices. ;)

Thanks again!
TS

Hey Tsimi...whazzup? :)

Actually, my "getaway kit" is stocked with easily expendables, and none of my HI khuks fit that category. Now if you happen to have a stray village khuk laying around in The Cave after your extensive Testing & Research is concluded...:D :p :D

See you in The Cantina! :cool:

Back