1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual Cleaver Knife

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by bobbernard, Oct 7, 2018.

1. bobbernard

bobbernard

Mar 10, 2007
    [​IMG]I picked up this knife at the local flea market a few months back. I was told by the seller that he had gotten it from a woman who had done some charitable work in Africa, and on leaving, someone in the village hand made and gave her the knife as a token of appreciation. No other information available. Total length 11 inches, cutting edge 5 inches only on the visible side. The other side is flat. The blade is about 1/4 inches thick at the handle and tapers toward the point and the cutting edge. Solid wood handle with tapering two part ferrules on both ends with no visible seams. Blade is magnetic. Ferrules are not. The tang does not go completely through the handle.

The scabbard is made with a very stiff internal leather encased in a much softer leather that has been worked. Internal leather approximately 1/16 inch thick, external about 1/64 inch.

Whoever made this was a superb craftsman. Thus far, in searching the web, I have not seen anything similar. I am always suspicious of flea market vendors stories so I may be looking in the wrong continent. Anyone out there have a clue?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  2. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Photos not showing for me. John

3. bobbernard

bobbernard

Mar 10, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Finally figured how to post picture.