utility knife

I am looking for an inexpensive (thats inexpensive,not a cheap piece of !@#$)folding knife for cutting boxes and some other medium to heavy weight chores.How about an opinel? these seem to be pretty good knives. Any replies are appreciated.
thanks
-Maurice

Opinels are great for opening boxes; that thin blade zips right through cardboard.
smile.gif

-Cougar :{)

Opinel sounds good for your needs - only thing is you can't open & close them one-handed. If that's a consideration, what about a CRKT point-guard? That's a nice & releatively inexpensive, & handy, knife.

Also, it has a pocket-clip, which is really handy. If you are using a knife a lot, one-hand opening & a pocket clip make life much easier. There are plenty of other examples of decent & inexpensive knives like this. Also, have you checked 1SKS ("store" link above)? they have lots of what they describe as decent liner-locks for under $20.
------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[This message has been edited by fishface (edited 07-20-2000).]

Ever considered getting a Buck 110 or one of their thermoplastic handled folders? Crosslock maybe? I remember I had a Crosslock and I hated the thumbstud. It was a pain in the @$$ to open, busted my thumb skin up really bad. Now I have a real big callus, probably won't be that bad anymore.

------------------
Chang and the Rebels of the East!
Southern Taiwan Will Rise Again!
cst.jpg

Oh... and how about a Gerber EZ-Out? I carried one for 2 years. That was before I found Benchmade and Microtech.

------------------
cst.jpg

Check out a Camillus Lev-R-Lok!
If you need a stronger knife then a Buck 110 or Schrade LB7.

Comrade "Jonny Reb" Chang - I dunno about those EZ Outs - I & everyone I know who had one have had bad experiences with extremely weak locks on those suckers. Only knife I've ever actaully THROWN AWAY, because it was too dangerous to give away! You had no such problem, I take it?

Spyderco Delica/Endura, there r THE best. Holds a nice edge, lightweight, you will never go wrong w/ spydercos.

Thanks for all the replies,i think ill buy ab opinel,i used to have one but lost almost as soon as i bought it,but not before i managed to slice my thunb wide open.and yes the cs twist master is nothing but a rip-off piece of crap!

Fishfaces, you THREW AWAY your EZ-Out?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Why!? That model of knife was the first one-hander I ever owned and it did everything I ever asked of it. The lock wasn't the toughest thing in the world, if you beat the spine hard against something, it would close, but how many times do I beat something while I'm holding the knife?

Saddened to hear you threw it away.
frown.gif
I carried one for two years before I got my Benchmade and Microtech stuff.

------------------
cst.jpg

More on the EZ-Out. I had two actually. One had the crappiest lock I had ever seen. Probably defective. My second one was strong and would close if beaten very hard against the spine, but wouldn't ever close under normal conditions. I gave the wimpy one to my older brother so he could clean his nails, and the strong one was sold to a friend who lost it 4 months later. Both of them loved the EZ-Out's (even the weak lock one was loved). Sadly, one was lost in the laundry and the strong locked one was lost by my friend inside the gym while swimming in a pool of foam "cheese" (don't ask, it's very strange story). If you get one that has a properly made lock, you'll be fine.

------------------
cst.jpg

Back