VG-10 San Mai

When Cold Steel reintroduced their San Mai blades in VG-10 they were only available for a very brief time. Other than the 9 1/2" Magnum Tanto the other models seemed to remain on back order for the last year. Does anybody know why so few have actually been made or sold?

I purchased a San Mai Magnum Tanto IX recently and found it to be extremely well made. I also have a San Mai Tai Pan on back order for the last 6 months. There must be untold potential sales lost due to limited availability. The 3-V models of the same knives are everywhere, but no San Mai!!!

I am confused. They are all over Amazon, Taipan, Magnum,SRK etc, and in stock. Seen them other places too like Knife Center etc. Not sure how they are selling but the Japan models seem to be holding their value for the most part IMHO. I am just about to give up on a Japan one and get the Taiwan Taipan too, quality from my limited experience is great.

Go to http://www.coldsteel.com and enter San Mai in the search box. Then click on the various blades. Next to the word Availability is red print saying "Out of stock". Only 2 San Mai knives are actually "In Stock" and "Available" and those are the Trail Master and Pendleton Custom Classic.

Screenshot (164).png I went on the individual web sites, they are there(some only 2 left but there). Did you check those?
Here is one example(MagII & Taipan):

Yeah they are available readily at online stores like Knifecenter. I'm pretty sure Cold Steel makes their dealers the priority. Who buys from the CS web site?

Knife Center has many San Mai listed but only 3 are actually "In Stock"......:(
That is for Taipans, other models vary in the amount available, and that is just the Knifecenter. Buying from CS takes away that counterfeiting worry for sure.

That is for Taipans, other models vary in the amount available, and that is just the Knifecenter. Buying from CS takes away that counterfeiting worry for sure.

Definitely true about counterfeit worry being eliminated by buying direct from cold steel. Has Knifecenter been known to sell counterfeit cold steels in your experience?

Definitely true about counterfeit worry being eliminated by buying direct from cold steel. Has Knifecenter been known to sell counterfeit cold steels in your experience?

No, nor Oso Grande, Optics Planet, Amazon, Blade Hdq. and a few others that I know of anyway. Of course I don't buy tons of knives(I wish) so my experience is limited. My bummers have all come from EBay so far. Could just be be lucky too.

The problem as noted on other threads, Amazon co-mingle their stock with the individual seller, so the chances are there. Having said that, I never got a counterfeit so far, but I put that to luck.

The problem as noted on other threads, Amazon co-mingle their stock with the individual seller, so the chances are there. Having said that, I never got a counterfeit so far, but I put that to luck.

Hi Chris "Anagarika",

I'm always trying to learn - if I am understanding you correctly. If I were a third party seller on Amazon, which I am not, - I could send Amazon a bunch of counterfeit knives and Amazon would just mix ("co-mingle their stock") this counterfeit stock in with their legitimate knives (Knives amazon has received direct from the manufacturer) ?

I guess I then don't understand the difference when an item says - something like, - sold by Amazon. Or what I thought was differently - sold by a third party seller ?

I'm not saying this is not true - just trying to learn/understand.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi Chris "Anagarika",

I'm always trying to learn - if I am understanding you correctly. If I were a third party seller on Amazon, which I am not, - I could send Amazon a bunch of counterfeit knives and Amazon would just mix ("co-mingle their stock") this counterfeit stock in with their legitimate knives they receive direct the manufacturer ?

I guess I then don't understand the difference when an item says - something like, - sold by Amazon. Or what I thought was differently - sold by a third party seller ?

Thank you

Your understanding is same as mine. I heard it on this forum (but cannot find the original thread) from others.
Again, I don’t have first hand information but forum members have reported receiving fake or non NIB knives from Amazon (sold & shipped by Amazon). I have not experienced this so you may take it with a big grain of salt.

Buying from authorized reseller (some are BF supporters), is always recommended.

Hi Chris "Anagarika",

I'm always trying to learn - if I am understanding you correctly. If I were a third party seller on Amazon, which I am not, - I could send Amazon a bunch of counterfeit knives and Amazon would just mix ("co-mingle their stock") this counterfeit stock in with their legitimate knives they receive direct the manufacturer ?

Thank you

Sastre said he has seen them(post above), maybe he can share his insight on this.

There are some "third party sellers" on Amazon that I have seen advertising obvious fakes .. obvious to me as I was a Cold Steel Dealer and quite familiar with the product line. "Fulfilled by Amazon" basically means sold directly by Amazon, but they also advertise for "third party sellers" who are the ones that will send you that particular product. Just because it is on Amazon, does not mean it comes from Amazon. Buyer beware and read carefully. It also does not mean that all "third party sellers" are bad, but I've seen my share of them there.

Last edited:
I wish my CS Master Hunter was in VG-10 instead of VG-1, not that the VG-1 is a horrible steel.

There are some "third party sellers" on Amazon that I have seen advertising obvious fakes .. obvious to me as I was a Cold Steel Dealer and quite familiar with the product line. "Fulfilled by Amazon" basically means sold directly by Amazon, but they also advertise for "third party sellers" who are the ones that will send you that particular product. Just because it is on Amazon, does not mean it comes from Amazon. Buyer beware and read carefully. It also does not mean that all "third party sellers" are bad, but I've seen my share of them there.

Hi Mike - again, I'm just trying to confirm this information. I purchase knives from time to time from Amazon. Only from "Fulfilled by Amazon" - sold directly by Amazon. Have you ever received or heard of anyone receiving a fake knife "Fulfilled by Amazon" ?

I ask because I have always believed if the knife is direct from Amazon (authorized seller) then it is 100% never going to be fake.

Third party sellers, as you said, not all are bad but I'm with you - Buyer beware and read carefully (make sure you know if you are buying direct from Amazon or a third party seller).

Thank you

Chris "Anagarika" - thank you for your response.

Back