Welcome to Snody-land!

<font size=+2 color=red>NOTE:MIKE.SNODY will NOT be taking custom orders until further in the future...</font>

It was a nice time of the month around April, weather in NC caught between rabid heat and freak hail. Just 4 hours drive from Wilmington to the town of Greensboro, you will be greeted by a quaint "pleasantville" type sign that says "Welcome to the little town of LIBERTY, NC population 3000, Home of Mike Snody ." It was a nice greeting indeed right out of a movie.
smile.gif
Upon arriving to the famed SnodyLand, you will be greeted by 400 pounds of eager enthusiastic Boxers n Pits, each of them cute and adorable.. and each I think almost as heavy as me
tongue.gif
, and you know that you're in the right place for sure.

As a guest to the esteemed SnodyLand you will be personally be greeted by the man Himself Mike Snody (with a prototype TAD exploerr xtreme on one hip and a MT lightfoot LCC in the other pocket) he will say with a grunt "gyadamn 420V rusts like a mother" He, who will then demonstrate to you the fine art of knifethrowing with one of his own knives. (despite the fact that his knives are not meant to be thrown - he'll throw one of his TripleAughDesign explorers to a nearby tree anyways - and not a bad throw it is...)

First on the agenda Mr. Snody will eagerly show you his famed little shop, filled with nice goodies - knives he designed. Some are ready for finishing some are failed attempts.. but all of them have some character in them which makes you feel liek a kid in a candyshop. Ad if you are like - you'll find excitement in seeing knives not many other knife collectors have seen or ever will see.

You will also get the inside scoop on his new knife designs. As well as some stories about the weird design requests he's had. PLus prank phonecalls and outrageous customers. Snody recalls a convcersation of a guy who called and said "I want a fighting knife.." to which Snody gave a wry smirk when someone in the backgroudn said "who you talking to son.." - "aw leave me alone mom."

Funny stuff like that - or about customers who say "I want a knife designed to enter the 4th and 5th rib but I find that most of my knives deflect tot he SIDE a bit.. do you have a knife that doesn't do that?!?!"

It takes all kinds..

On that specific day he chose a 'failed' 12 inch bladed Narita kwaiken. Ground on the left side for right hand use. So you might wonder.. (like I did when I read the tactical knives article) why in the world would a right handed chisel ground tanto be ground on the left side? And what in the world is Mike Janich talking about?? Well Mr. Snody will explain that if you whittled or used a shorter blade for cross body slashes then you would need the blade to be ground on the right side. Hoeever if you used chopping motions like the #1 slash (right handed from top right to cross body to bottom left slash) a grind to the left of the blade would be more efficient.

(as I say this I imagine anyone with an emerson commander to try out a #1 slash
tongue.gif
)

As you are distracted by the incessant howls of the Boxers N Pits suddenly you hear Mr,. Snody pump up the volume in his shop. Chew on a few clumps o chewin' t'bacc'er and on his way to finishing up the edge that 'failed' 12 inch bladed Narita Tanto.

I'm sure the old school can't help but put a smile on their face when they hear tunes like old and new albums of Metallica, Queensrhyche as well as Days of the New. Watchign SNody grind is like watching a music video. TO those who never listened to old metallica as a kid you'd never understand...

All the time in Mike SNody's shop - nothing is sugar coated.. he tells you stories about people's he's met, where's he's been.. his philosophy on knifemaking as gritty and down to earth as his knives. I must say that when you meet the man in person you really get to apprecaite the 'spirit' in his knvies.

Before you knew it the final edge on the knife is done.. a few rolls of electrical tape for the handle and a paraord lineyard and off you go for cutting tests.

THe first test was on a rolled up free standing newspaper. In one well placed slice the blade effortlessly cut the thing cleanly in half with no tearing whatsoever. Next a fed ex box was suspended in midair for more tests of destruction. With one well placed #1 slash (crooss body right handed from right shoulder to left leg) the monster narita CLEAVED through the box effortlessly and upon investigation, cleanly. No folding or tearing on the box's edges.

Here is a pic of a happy camper in SnodyLand:
http://www.rejectionist.com/bounty/onlyone.jpg

Now don't get me wrong.. if you're gonna spend all day cutting up boxes with a 12 inch Snody Narita tanto then go right ahead be my guest... but Mr. Mike will first hand show you the power of his 'failed' 12 inch narita. He took the blade from his guests' hands and proceeded to march towards the brush chopping up loose vines before settling to a young sapling aroun 1 inch radius?? with 5 well commited strokes he was able to chop down the young tree. He then went on to chop some more random brances and to a more aged hrdwood tree of around 3 inch diameter trunk. This gave him a harder time and he was able to chop into half of the tree before getting a bit frustrated..

but upon examining the edge of the Narita.. yes - much like the Ginsu 3000
smile.gif
, there was no edge chipping or rolling. This REALLY will make you believe in the power of chisel ground A2. It's tough as nails. One shoudl settle for nothign less than A2 in this blade length is what I learned.

Snody will then bring the blade back to his shop and refinish the edge on it.. and more cutting tests will be performed by the end of the afternoon on mailing boxes, hanging art paper and whatever else. and by the end of the afternoon you'd think a bunch of kindergarten kids romped in your backyard.

When the kids get bored with the hanging paper Mr. Snody will bring out a piece of plywood and use the narita to start hacking at it with as much strength as you can muster just to show the effectiveness of the left ground right handed blade and the toughness of A2. IMagine this upward #6 (right leg cross to left shoulder) slash full force into a 2 by 4 and the knife is left in the cut... You WILL be surprised. You get to really apprecaite the toughness of chisel ground A2 and the low drag hollow grinds on Mike Snody's knives that really can take a LOT of SH*T in both delicate to brutal tasks.

Snody's knives are meant to be fighting knives - it's what I thought anyways, but noones saying it can't take the abuse.

what better way to prove one's worth than to really let it rip first hand and put you rmoney where your mouth is. TRYING ti destroy a SNody knife without guilt - That alone is worth the price of admission in Snodyland.

After a lot of playtime Snody will then show you how his blades will stand up to a semiautomatic AR rifle at point blank range. He chose a small Karma Kozuka in 3V, asked us to cover our ears then fired away a shot.

The blade was blown to smitthereens. SHATTERED like glass. Catastrophic failure
tongue.gif

After some chatting about the blade industry you will be then taken inside to meet the lovely Mrs. Michelle Snody for a little refreshments and some chatting. Maybe some of you wondered who was the sweet voice in the Snody answering machine who ended her greeting with "thank ye thank ye very much" - I was happy that she apprecaited my SWAT jacket that had Elvis Presley sewn onto the name patch
smile.gif
And who can't miss the personal KNife show that is soon to follow. From tough tacticals to exquisite Damascus blades the knives were fun to fondle. And it takes a lot of strength to not just pick them up and run away with them on the spot.

Then again the few remington sniper rifles Mr. Snody showed us too made you behave in your place
smile.gif

The rest of the afternoon will be spent with a PERSONAL one on one Mike Snody class on blade grinding and handlewrapping.

A few running jokes exchanged between the group and a few light chuckles - as you NEVER really know - when Mike SNody is talking about something if it's serious or sarcastic.. it's weird like that when talking to him
tongue.gif

You'd wished you'd never leave eventhough the rain was pouring and the weather was getting frightfully chilly - time seemed to slow when you'd sit in his shop and talk about very NON POLITICALLY CORRECT stories and jokes not even suitable for internet posting or polite conversation.. btu that is the man that is Mike Snody.. a guy who is really serious about his craft and as I had described before a genius in his art. The kind of dude who doensn't spend time BSing and does things his own way - takes pride in his work and shows off his own unique character in his knives. A man who knows where he wants to go and is never forgetful of his roots and the people who taught him and made him who he is now.

the more I learn about the man and his knives the more proud I am for being a collector of his pieces. I fell in love with the look of them as well as the great value.. and in SNodyland you will learn first hand how tough yet gracefull these SOB's are.

<font size=+2 color=red>NOTE:MIKE.SNODY will NOT be taking custom orders until further in the future...</font>

------------------
URBAN.LEGENDS.(BalisongGARBAGE)
ENGEL.DESIGN.ROOM
[FAKE01].[the mirror site](www.rejectionist.com)
Knives.I.Want
If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

[This message has been edited by sniperboy (edited 04-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by sniperboy (edited 04-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by sniperboy (edited 04-17-2001).]

SB- thanks for sharing! What a great experience!! When are you going to put the knowledge you've gained from Mike, Jerry, etc. to use and start grinding your own?
smile.gif

I only have two questions Sniperboy:

1) Is Mike Snody currently taking custom orders?
biggrin.gif

2) Is it wise to taunt Texas Rangers after climbing a telephone pole while wearing a ninja suit?
tongue.gif

I couldn't resist.

T

Bfett:

1. NOTE:MIKE.SNODY will NOT be taking custom orders until further in the future...
tongue.gif

2. EVEN if you are armed with a nija suit and smoke bombs AND the texas rangers are armed with a flying taser.. you should NOT challenge the texas rangers..

Dude.. we should become texas rangers
smile.gif

Oh yeah what kind of barbed wire was he talkgin about?
tongue.gif

Dude!! DUDE!!! Tom Mayo and Jerry Hossom havbe the Tom and Jerry show.. we should have the "B.S. bounty huntershow!" ooor.. maybe not..

------------------
URBAN.LEGENDS.(BalisongGARBAGE)
ENGEL.DESIGN.ROOM
[FAKE01].[the mirror site](www.rejectionist.com)
Knives.I.Want
If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

Back